Split 1 - R3: Sakitto - 13th Feb 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I thought I was doing ok until I read these, down to 1.12.1 with race fuel at the moment. I'm losing time at the very slow double right and the uphill chicane. If I try and take the double right or chicane any quicker I lose the rear, so don't know where i'm going to go with this. I've already made Dec Lock and Preload adjustments, it has improved it, but not enough.
:banghead::arghh::drowning::bigtears:

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I thought I was doing ok until I read these, down to 1.12.1 with race fuel at the moment. I'm losing time at the very slow double right and the uphill chicane. If I try and take the double right or chicane any quicker I lose the rear, so don't know where i'm going to go with this. I've already made Dec Lock and Preload adjustments, it has improved it, but not enough.
:banghead::arghh::drowning::bigtears:
That first doubble righter is killing me too lol cant get it stopped in me for a good turn in and exit.. Iv masterd the uphill chicain now. You need to kind of unsettle the car so it flicks you through it. Well thats how i do it lol..

@Cluck iv just got one question how do you take the first sharp right hander as that is killing my time i loose too much through that section..???

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
How do I take it? Black with no sugar, unless we're referring to a different corner, in which case it's white with one sugar :)

Not trying to be funny, just wondering what you mean? I've posted a video showing my lap so I'm not sure what more can be said other than "I brake, I turn right, I turn right again and accelerate".

I'll upload the 'with telemetry' lap tonight. That was in the free practice session prior to the video of the lap I posted last night. Laptime was very similar. That's probably the best way of "explaining" how I take the corners :)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
How do I take it? Black with no sugar, unless we're referring to a different corner, in which case it's white with one sugar :)

Not trying to be funny, just wondering what you mean? I've posted a video showing my lap so I'm not sure what more can be said other than "I brake, I turn right, I turn right again and accelerate".

I'll upload the 'with telemetry' lap tonight. That was in the free practice session prior to the video of the lap I posted last night. Laptime was very similar. That's probably the best way of "explaining" how I take the corners :)
Ok.. Ill put it like this...as you are using the rift i myself find it hard to see at what point you turn in..(there must be a reference point you use.) what and were.???

Do you brake before or after the 100 meter marker.????

At what point in the corner do apply more throttle.??

Im not trying to be arrogant i genuinely want to know. Im just after some help..

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sorry Jonno, I didn't mean my reply in a bad way at all.

The problem is, what might appear to be my braking point, in the Rift, will be significantly different on a normal monitor :). For instance, I only know that I start braking just after the 100-yard/meter board on the right, but a different FOV will reveal that braking point to quite likely be level with the marker.

So despite my rather flippant reply, I genuinely can't tell you exactly where to brake, where to accelerate, where to turn in, I can only give a very rough approximation. Like I said, I'll upload the free-practice lap I recorded with telemetry as that will show you how much I turn in, what throttle I'm using but, again, because it's from the monitor output, the exact moment of braking might be different.

For what it's worth, though, this is how I take the lap (from memory of it last night, without watching the video)

Start the lap.
Look for the brake boards on the left of the track, approaching T1. As you get to the 3rd (last) one, brake gently and drop to 5th gear
Turn in hard and feed the power in (or mash it like I did and lose lots of time!) and let the car naturally wash out to the right of the track. Don't take too much of the kerb on the right as it will deeply unsettle the car.
Approaching T2, brake hard at the 100-metre board and then cadence brake, getting the speed down to drop into 2nd gear with moderate revs
Turn in hard for T3 and get on the power nice and early. Either feather the throttle, as the back-end comes round, or grab an early 3rd gear
Approaching the next right-hander, leave the car in 4th gear, come off the throttle at the last distance marker on the left. Turn in hard and feed the power in through the corner
For the next right-hander, brake earlier than you would expect, get into 3rd gear (fairly low revs) and turn in hard. Get on the power gently as you don't want any understeer or oversteer out of this corner.
Take the next left flat out and correct the oversteer that you get, keeping your foot flat on the floor waiting for the grip to kick in
Look for the 100-metre board on the right and use this as your marker for dropping into 4th and turning left. Get the car unsettled and ride the buzz of getting it "just right" for a clean line through the exit
Careful on the power as you could end up running wide and onto the grass
Full throttle, getting a little sideways as you do so, up to the next left
Brake hard just before the 50-metre board and drop to 3rd gear
Turn in and feed the power in (or mash it and correct with a dab of oppo). Pop it up to 4th and then ease off the throttle for the last part of the left. Into 3rd and feed the power in until you feel it's safe to plant your foot to the floor without running wide or oversteering too much
And across the line

:)

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
That was quali fuel :)

Good. My 1:11 was on full race fuel. I can go quicker on quali fuel, although it makes the car a real handful, so couldn't actually get a reliable lap in.

Incidentally I read an article about the FoV recently, so I updated mine to what it should be, late in my runs. It's made a big difference, but not for the good (for now). But it has highlighted that the car setup I have is sooooo wrong. I've been running 9.? steering ratio, but on the correct FoV, it's horribly twitchy, and I've had to up it into the 10's. Fingers crossed I can sort out the other issues in the next week and have a competitive setup for a change :)

Edit: @Cluck: If you're uploading with telemetry do you mean the pCars telemerty overlay or vrHive? It may be easier for Jonno to compare with a vrHive export, then the braking points, throttle, etc. will be clearer to see.

Last edited:

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thanks @Cluck really appreciate it...
Now down to a 1.10.987 with quali fuel that was pushing the car...
Doing consistent 1.11s with a full tank of fuel not race fuel a full tank..
Just have to do some race simulations with the ai to get my race craft and confidence up. I think the ai is more unpredictable than human players lol..
Im determined to be in the mix next race..i think iv improved since the first race i feel like im going quicker...but thats just me lol..

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Mikey - I haven't got VRHive running but I can install it and record another lap. The offer was to upload a lap with the on-screen telemetry as I drove - that will show steering input, braking and throttle, which should combine well with the notes I wrote earlier :).

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
Mikey - I haven't got VRHive running but I can install it and record another lap. The offer was to upload a lap with the on-screen telemetry as I drove - that will show steering input, braking and throttle, which should combine well with the notes I wrote earlier :).
Ok, ta. No worries, looks like Jonno has sorted his issues out, now he's running in the 11's.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ok, ta. No worries, looks like Jonno has sorted his issues out, now he's running in the 11's.
Lol kind of im still struggling round turn 2 but i make the time lost there back up round the rest.id like to be able to take that corner quicker but im going to settle with being able to take it safely and not loose control lol..
I kinda know i wont be on the pace i can do on a empty track come race day im just happy knowing if i improve my confidence i could be up there fighting near the front..

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
just got to drag my ass forward now, don't leave me jonno

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ok, just read this thread and starting to get worried that I haven't practised yet.......

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
Lol kind of im still struggling round turn 2 but i make the time lost there back up round the rest.id like to be able to take that corner quicker but im going to settle with being able to take it safely and not loose control lol..
I kinda know i wont be on the pace i can do on a empty track come race day im just happy knowing if i improve my confidence i could be up there fighting near the front..
T2 is quite tricky, as it's tighter than you think, and it drops off. I'm struggling there too, and through the chicane thingy. If I slow down a lot I can keep the car stable, or if I get the car really out of shape I can kind of guide it through, but I can't do that every lap.

Just did another hour tonight and I have a better setup, more stable on the rear, and easier to drive over a race distance. But it's no quicker. With race fuel, on a pretty good lap and I'm in the low 1:11s, but averaging in the high 1:11s. Having the car come out of the pits on cold tyres, really isn't helping with the testing.

I think I may be getting to the limit of my ability to a) setup the car and b) drive :)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone else is having this issue. Leaving the pits on the exit it keeps spearing me off to the left causing me to veer off on to the straight .

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah it did that to me too initially, just really careful exiting pits now. Went on to do some practice earlier and the car kept braking by itself, tried different car and offline, recalibrated pedals, still the same, then I noticed the 'braking assistance' had turned itself on, thought I had a pedals problem, thanks Project Cars for wasting my testing time. :mad:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not experienced that myself. Are you trying to go full throttle? On cold tyres, in the rain, that's a bad idea ;)

ps. I know Mikey won't want to see it but I'm uploading a free practice session video (that was recorded before the quali lap I posted before) that shows a 1m09.73 lap on the 3rd lap (outlap + 2 timed laps), starting from cold tyres and a full tank :eek:.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Skip to ~2m30s and you'll see the 1m09 lap. The 1m14 lap was because it put me out on the Prime tyre, so the video starts as I leave the pits having changed to SuperSoft. This is exactly the same setup - except for fuel - that I used in the quali session that followed (and I uploaded the previous video from).

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not experienced that myself. Are you trying to go full throttle? On cold tyres, in the rain, that's a bad idea ;)

ps. I know Mikey won't want to see it but I'm uploading a free practice session video (that was recorded before the quali lap I posted before) that shows a 1m09.73 lap on the 3rd lap (outlap + 2 timed laps), starting from cold tyres and a full tank :eek:.
no i dont ever go full wack out the pitlane lol... i think iv figured out why it does it and so far its not done it since lol

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I need to stop going round this track im getting slower and slower every lap lol...think ill pack my bags and fly home from sakitto for a break..

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So I just did my first 10 to 15 laps or so. Managed to do a 1m11s4 with full fuel. I was 7 tenths down and then I bogged it at the chicane. So at lease a second slower than cluck on full fuel, except it took him 3 laps and me 10 laps ;-). The car is quite unstable at the chicane for me. This will be a long race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread