Oculus Rift and Touch price cut announced (1 Viewer)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
guys... some advice if you will please...

im looking to get a rift in the near future now i know my cpu will need upgrading as its below requirements.
but the one thing im confused about is it says my USB 3.0 extensible host controller 1.0 is not compatible..

what does that mean.?? is it just my drivers are not up to date or i dont have enough usb 3.0 ports lol. Told you i was confused lol

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@jonnotheone I'm not sure of the AMD equivalent, but I have an old (well, old-ish) i7 2600k, and It's workable with a 970. I rarely hit 90 FPS so I rely on the space warp thing (CTRL + Numpad 3: 45 fps with interpolation fanciness), but I'm not certain if the bottleneck is GPU or CPU, so you might be ok with your current system. Also, for some reason, my USB 3 ports were being reported as USB 2 in the Oculus software, but the tracking still worked fine. Maybe my chipset isn't properly supported, IDK, so you might be ok still with what you have. You'll need a port for the sensor, and another for the headset (+ HDMI).

ASW (Space warp thing) is hit and miss in different games. It's not too bad in PCars, things zooming by in your peripheral vision can be a bit jumpy, but you get used to it.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
For some reason iv found if i disable the USB 3.0 extensible host controller 1.0 the rift system test passes usb on 2.0.. Is there any diffrence.???

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I think there's not. I had many problems with USB 3.0 and didn't try 2.0 :banghead:

Feynman

Community Member
Reaction score
USB 3 has always given me issues so...expect it.....maybe I should also have tried "rescale"...I have a gtx1070 so I think it would have handled the higher demands .
I think it's the case that you will always need to fiddle with it to get it working correctly.
It's def not a plug it in and start playing,unless you are very lucky.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I reinstalled windows last night and now installed Oculus Software and same hardware error again. Looked again closely at hdmi connector and saw that one tinny pin is totally pushed in or broken.
I'm waiting for support's response.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Update for this Oculus problem.

I got yesterday new HDMI cable, and same thing again. All is connected in Oculus software but when I want to setup Rift, it says "Oculus hardware error". I think I got faulty device. Support contacted me and said that they will send me new device and now I am waiting for directions from them. What a luck.......

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Update for this Oculus problem.

I got yesterday new HDMI cable, and same thing again. All is connected in Oculus software but when I want to setup Rift, it says "Oculus hardware error". I think I got faulty device. Support contacted me and said that they will send me new device and now I am waiting for directions from them. What a luck.......
Sorry to hear Dama :(

After my PC fried around September I got it back with a new mobo and gfx card (same make and model as before) and my rift didnt work then either. Turned out on my side at least it was the firmware of the graphics card (not the drivers). The guys sent the same card back with older firmware and it worked.

Just in case if yours still doesnt work it might be worth looking at the gfx card and / or the usb slots your using.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
SlowBloke, how was that manifested? Oculus hardware error or you could setup your rift?

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
SlowBloke, how was that manifested? Oculus hardware error or you could setup your rift?
Failed during setup. I just saw you have a 1070 - I think my issue wont be your issue - I was told the 1070+ series were fully compliant :/

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
When I first got Oculus, it worked but if i even just touch it to move it on my face it disconnects (HDMI). Then I use it about 30 minutes driving everything fine, and then i tried it to take it off it disconnects.... all that then first bsod happned- That night second dsod and after that I couldn't set it up anymore - Oculus hardware error. Due to all that I think this device was faulty from the start. They didn't ask me too much on support when I send them printcsreens, serial no and error logs. They just told me that they are gonna send me a new one.

Too much trouble about that kind of expensive gear. :(

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
When I first got Oculus, it worked but if i even just touch it to move it on my face it disconnects (HDMI). Then I use it about 30 minutes driving everything fine, and then i tried it to take it off it disconnects.... all that then first bsod happned- That night second dsod and after that I couldn't set it up anymore - Oculus hardware error. Due to all that I think this device was faulty from the start. They didn't ask me too much on support when I send them printcsreens, serial no and error logs. They just told me that they are gonna send me a new one.

Too much trouble about that kind of expensive gear. :(
The worst is you get yourself so excited about your new toy but then its weeks before you get to try it.. argh.... 1st world problems I guess we shoudnt complain too much :)

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
The worst is you get yourself so excited about your new toy but then its weeks before you get to try it.. argh.... 1st world problems I guess we shoudnt complain too much :)
You are absolutely right :)

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Soooo how many usb 2/3 ports do i really need? I could buy a pci-e usb3 adapter but i don't want to buy that and get screwed because there's not enough room under gpu card to fit the adapter in the second pci-e slot (the one for sli)

P.s. gpu is a msi gtx970 not that big...

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Quick answer: You only need 2 ports; and you should be fine on space; I use this card & this utility with great success (no problems in the whole Nurburgring 24hr race we did).

Long answer/story time: I was using the on board USB 3 ports on my motherboard, but kept running into issues. They would be reported as USB 2, tracking was jumpy & glitchy, and it would randomly disconnect from time to time. The issue is mostly down to power management, where Windows would interfere, even if the feature was turned off in device manager.

It turns out that only certain USB 3 cards are officially supported, ones with the Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset are supposed to work. This is one that's widely recommended. I got one, popped it in, and still had disconnection issues. I eventually found this utility, which forces off the power saving features within Windows and Driver, and have had no problems since.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
My Oculus Rift has finally arrived yesterday and everything now works like a charm by great help of @Puffpirat (I'll never forget this mate).

Last night I installed it, turn it on, and from 21:15 to 2:00 h I enjoyed it every second (If it was up to me, I would say until the work at 7 am :D ) This is really unbelievable thing..... I drived Assetto corsa (Ferrari OFC), Raceroom Expirience, Project cars, Dirt Rally...

There is no any sign of disconnecting Rift, or any error report. I use 2xUSB3.0 for rift and 2xUSB3.0 for wheel and pedals.

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Alright i ordered only usb card for now, waiting for delivery and testing before getting the big guy...

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
My Oculus Rift has finally arrived yesterday and everything now works like a charm by great help of @Puffpirat (I'll never forget this mate).

Last night I installed it, turn it on, and from 21:15 to 2:00 h I enjoyed it every second (If it was up to me, I would say until the work at 7 am :D ) This is really unbelievable thing..... I drived Assetto corsa (Ferrari OFC), Raceroom Expirience, Project cars, Dirt Rally...

There is no any sign of disconnecting Rift, or any error report. I use 2xUSB3.0 for rift and 2xUSB3.0 for wheel and pedals.
You sure had to have some patience there Dama - glad its finally sorted and you can experience it yourself for real :)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Iv only pulled the trigger and put a bid on some dk2's i know theres the new cv1's but i seriously cant afford that price i can do the price of dk2 lol.. If i win fantastic if i dont ohh well.

Users who are viewing this thread