General PC help/advice (2 Viewers)

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
As someone who has a 1440p, 144hz G-Sync monitor and runs a GTX 1070, honestly, G-Sync as great as it is, in most titles won't be used since you'll be hitting the FPS ceiling anyway, more so with anything above a 1070. But for those more demanding games, it's worth the price imo. It cuts out any stutters or tearing and regardless of your FPS, you're getting a butter smooth picture.

But I wouldn't say it's essential, it's a luxury and one most people can do without. Just a warning about 144hz monitors though, once you've used one for about a week, then go back to using 60hz for whatever reason, 60 is going to feel incredibly laggy. The jump from 60 > 144hz is noticeable, but not as much as going 144 > 60. That's when 60 begins to feel more like 20. So, once you go 144, you never go back. o_O

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
As someone who has a 1440p, 144hz G-Sync monitor and runs a GTX 1070, honestly, G-Sync as great as it is, in most titles won't be used since you'll be hitting the FPS ceiling anyway, more so with anything above a 1070. But for those more demanding games, it's worth the price imo. It cuts out any stutters or tearing and regardless of your FPS, you're getting a butter smooth picture.

Well I limit my fps just 2 frames lower than my monito refresh rate, there is absolutely no use to render more frames than your monitor can show. You tax you GPU more -> more noise -> more power draw, for no reason. If you limit you only have advantages.

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Well I limit my fps just 2 frames lower than my monito refresh rate, there is absolutely no use to render more frames than your monitor can show. You tax you GPU more -> more noise -> more power draw, for no reason. If you limit you only have advantages.

I'm aware, for any situation or hardware, your FPS in-game should never exceed your monitors refresh rate. But when your monitors refresh rate is higher than your in-game FPS, without G-Sync or Freesync, you're going to encounter stuttering. My point was that in those situations, that's when G-Sync and Freesync become viable, but people with more powerful cards in most titles, will be pushing towards their monitors refresh rate cap anyway, so the need for it isn't as great.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm aware, for any situation or hardware, your FPS in-game should never exceed your monitors refresh rate. But when your monitors refresh rate is higher than your in-game FPS, without G-Sync or Freesync, you're going to encounter stuttering. My point was that in those situations, that's when G-Sync and Freesync become viable, but people with more powerful cards in most titles, will be pushing towards their monitors refresh rate cap anyway, so the need for it isn't as great.
I totally agree with you, except the stuttering is only the case when you have V-sync enabled in the situation which you describe. In the other cases you might experience tearing, or if your GPS is really low tearing and stuttering.

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you, except the stuttering is only the case when you have V-sync enabled in the situation which you describe. In the other cases you might experience tearing, or if your GPS is really low tearing and stuttering.

Well V-sync on limits your FPS but it creates input lag, that shouldn't cause stuttering. V-Sync off, if it exceeds your monitors refresh rate, it causes tearing, if it's below your monitors refresh rate, the game looks choppy, and in some cases, stutters since the FPS and refresh rate are out of sync. It's tech like G-Sync and Freesync that looks to prevent such occurrences.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
Well V-sync on limits your FPS but it creates input lag, that shouldn't cause stuttering. V-Sync off, if it exceeds your monitors refresh rate, it causes tearing, if it's below your monitors refresh rate, the game looks choppy, and in some cases, stutters since the FPS and refresh rate are out of sync. It's tech like G-Sync and Freesync that looks to prevent such occurrences.
You do get stuttering when you have V-sync enabled and the GPU cannot keep up with the monitors refreshrate.

When V-sync is enabled on the video card drivers and the settings of the 3D game you play, the graphics card ensures that the last full rendered image is in the frame buffer at any time. In order to obtain a smooth image with V-sync enabled there should be, in the case of a 60 Hz monitor, a new image every 16.7 ms. That can not be guaranteed ...

The speed at which a GPU in games may calculate new images, is very variable and depends on the quantity: each image has a different processing time, and the fps of a video card can be very diverse. If it is not possible to calculate the next image in 16.7 ms, for example during an intense scene, the previous image in the frame buffer is drawn to the monitor and the monitor will show the same image for the second time. The result is that where you normally have a new image every 16.7 ms, sometimes after 2 x 16.7 ms = 33.3 ms a new image is shown. This corresponds to the performance thus fall back momentarily from 60 fps to 30 fps. You notice that as a hickup in gameplay, stuttering.

NVIDIA_EditorsDay_Day2_FINAL_Pagina_16.png

NVIDIA_EditorsDay_Day2_FINAL_Pagina_18.png

If you have a difficult scene your FPS hops between 60 and 30, maybe even 20 (3 x 16.7), and you see that as stuttering. If you turn off V-sync the problem is gone, however you might experience way more tearing (unless you have a FreeSync or Gsync screen). So you must choose between two evils sometimes.

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
You do get stuttering when you have V-sync enabled and the GPU cannot keep up with the monitors refreshrate.

When V-sync is enabled on the video card drivers and the settings of the 3D game you play, the graphics card ensures that the last full rendered image is in the frame buffer at any time. In order to obtain a smooth image with V-sync enabled there should be, in the case of a 60 Hz monitor, a new image every 16.7 ms. That can not be guaranteed ...

The speed at which a GPU in games may calculate new images, is very variable and depends on the quantity: each image has a different processing time, and the fps of a video card can be very diverse. If it is not possible to calculate the next image in 16.7 ms, for example during an intense scene, the previous image in the frame buffer is drawn to the monitor and the monitor will show the same image for the second time. The result is that where you normally have a new image every 16.7 ms, sometimes after 2 x 16.7 ms = 33.3 ms a new image is shown. This corresponds to the performance thus fall back momentarily from 60 fps to 30 fps. You notice that as a hickup in gameplay, stuttering.

View attachment 2543

View attachment 2542

If you have a difficult scene your FPS hops between 60 and 30, maybe even 20 (3 x 16.7), and you see that as stuttering. If you turn off V-sync the problem is gone, however you might experience way more tearing (unless you have a FreeSync or Gsync screen). So you must choose between two evils sometimes.

Well I never mentioned it not causing stuttering if V-Sync is enabled when the FPS is below your monitors refresh rate, there isn't much point having it enabled in those situations, having it off would reducing the stuttering. Best thing to do if FPS is frequently falling below your refresh rate is use something like Adaptive V-Sync, then the V-Sync will toggle on and off as required to reduce stuttering and tearing.

johnsnow

Community Member
Reaction score
Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @4,0 Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: sixteen GB Corsair revenge DDR4 @2960 megahertz / PSU: EVGA star G2 850W /

The speed at that a GPU in games might calculate new pictures is incredibly variable and depends on the quantity: every image contains a completely different time interval, and therefore the Federal Protective Service of a video card may be terribly numerous. If it's unimaginable to calculate succeeding image in sixteen.7 ms, Associate in Nursing example} throughout an intense scene, the previous image within the buffer is drawn to the monitor and therefore the monitor can show an equivalent image for the second time.

Zsolt Benczedi

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, planing to rejoin RSR and online racing when PC2 hits the shelf. I need some advice in upgrading my pc. Actually all i need for the moment is a motherboard-CPU-RAM combo, socket 1151, 16 GB RAM. At the moment playing on a single 27" 1920x1080 display but would like to keep some headroom for later upgrades. Any suggestions, advice welcome...Cheers

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, planing to rejoin RSR and online racing when PC2 hits the shelf. I need some advice in upgrading my pc. Actually all i need for the moment is a motherboard-CPU-RAM combo, socket 1151, 16 GB RAM. At the moment playing on a single 27" 1920x1080 display but would like to keep some headroom for later upgrades. Any suggestions, advice welcome...Cheers

Hey, it all depends on your budget, based on that you we can advise the best bang for your buck!

Zsolt Benczedi

Community Member
Reaction score
Roughly 500 euros...
Been thinking of ASUS PRIME Z270-P , I7 6700, G.Skill DDR-4 16GB /3000 RipjawsV Red KIT (F4-3000C15D-16GVRB...

Last edited:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If you haven't bought it yet, wait 2 more days for coffeelake. Quadcores will be dirt cheap and the top dogs will be 6 core CPUs :cool:

And nice to see you back Zsolt :)

Zsolt Benczedi

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi Puffpirat
Pc is already up and running, i was aware of that...thanks for the heads up. Ended up with a 7700k, 270 series MB and 16 Gigs of memory running at 3000 MHz.
See you soon on track :)

B

Blue Monkey

View attachment 2543

View attachment 2542

NVidia has also Fast Sync

mikeysalmon27

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi guys before I start I am unsure of what I run my pc on regarding motherboard etc.
I keep on having the ‘blue screen of death ‘ thing happening to me has anyone had this problem before and if so did you find a way round it?

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi guys before I start I am unsure of what I run my pc on regarding motherboard etc.
I keep on having the ‘blue screen of death ‘ thing happening to me has anyone had this problem before and if so did you find a way round it?
What error are you getting when it blue screens.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Like no 0x code nothing? You can check the windows event log to see where the problem comes from.

Is your CPU overclocked?

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It doesn’t say apart from it’s having a problem
It will have mate like puffi said it usualy starts with a 0x and says something like your pc encounterd a problem and some error code will show like 0x00000001 or it might say something like APC_INDEX_MISMATCH. You need that error code to know why your pc is doing the bsod without one your pretty screwed..

Like no 0x code nothing? You can check the windows event log to see where the problem comes from.

Is your CPU overclocked?
Even with an overclocked cpu a bsod will still give a code if the cpu is failing i know form experience lol

Users who are viewing this thread