Advice on Ultrawide Curved Monitors (1 Viewer)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Uhh, you know Ultrawide curved 144hz monitors already exist already.

There is but only at 2560x1080 which honestly is too low a res. 3440x1440 is the sweet spot for 34' monitors.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ninja'd @falcon2081

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
@Invincible that only supports a max resolution of 2560x1080. Same goes for the BenQ.

Edit: Arrrggg Ninja'd again. :D

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Well there is always the option to lower the resolution. I am waiting as @Invincible for the new releases and then I will decide. It is more about which ultra wide not if I can run it. This will be a 100% fact that I will be able to run it :p
Lowering resolution always looks kinda off to me vs native....

Ive got a Dell U3415W - refresh rate not great but I really wanted wide screen once I got PCars and at the time that was the leader of the pack. Ofcourse I race exclusively in the rift now but at the time I loved it. There is backlight bleeding against my black desktop background but I just dont notice it in games. Screen tearing can be irritating in FPS.

Im using a 980TI/6700K combo and its able to drive the monitor with Project Cars to do everything maxed with DSX2 AA at 3440x1440. Full rain etc.. it might dip at the start to low 40ish but usually above 60fps once going. Drop a few hardly noticable settings and Im in the 90-120fps range. Rift wise Im happy with performance for now - even if I got a 1080 it wont make a massive difference - Im waiting for Project Cars 2 to come out before I reassess my gfx card needs.

I can run everything just fine on the 980TI but the most demanding games will be on High rather than Ultra which invariably gets input lag etc at that resolution.

If I had 1k to spend I would probably consider changing the graphics card first rather than top end high demand monitor.

1070 with lower spec 21:9 possibly?

Stick to the 2560x1080 monitors if graphics card budget is not there will help a lot.

An old thread on 21:9 for info:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...120-144-1ms-5ms-IPS-Gsync-Curve-advise-please

Pamellaaa

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Thread bump because its almost exactly the same subject, someone please talk me into, or out of, buying one of these two. I have a 980 and currently run 16:9 1440P at pretty much max everything with 100fps so I am sure driving these with reasonable quality wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't mind dropping quality slightly. Its a lot of money but they look awesome, should I do it?

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Thread bump because its almost exactly the same subject, someone please talk me into, or out of, buying one of these two. I have a 980 and currently run 16:9 1440P at pretty much max everything with 100fps so I am sure driving these with reasonable quality wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't mind dropping quality slightly. Its a lot of money but they look awesome, should I do it?

My opinion....personally having done both 34inch wide screen first and then a Rift....

If your primary reason is to race knowing what I know now - I would take that money and buy into VR. Im very happy with the 980ti and Im not sure how much less performance you get with the 980 though..... Possibly worth considering a Rift and a 1070 - about the same ££ ?

If VR is not your thing they both look like great monitors - I dont regret buying the ultra wide screen for gaming but also for work I really like the desktop space.

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Get the ultrawide you will love it.

Pamellaaa

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
My opinion....personally having done both 34inch wide screen first and then a Rift....

If your primary reason is to race knowing what I know now - I would take that money and buy into VR. Im very happy with the 980ti and Im not sure how much less performance you get with the 980 though..... Possibly worth considering a Rift and a 1070 - about the same ££ ?

If VR is not your thing they both look like great monitors - I dont regret buying the ultra wide screen for gaming but also for work I really like the desktop space.

I tried out @Battenberg's rift and really enjoyed it for a while until I started to feel unwell and it put me off a bit, to be honest I would find it harder to justify the rift because then it is just for racing (well some other games, but mostly racing) but with a nice monitor I get to use it for everything on the PC and just about every game too.

Get the ultrawide you will love it.

Cheers, I have never had G-Sync or a decent refresh rate (I currently play on a graphic design monitor optimised for colour accuracy and previously on a Plasma TV) so it should be quite an upgrade in that respect too.

Last edited:

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
I tried out @Battenberg's rift and really enjoyed it for a while until I started to feel unwell and it put me off a bit, to be honest I would find it harder to justify the rift because then it is just for racing (well some other games, but mostly racing) but with a nice monitor I get to use it for everything on the PC and just about every game too.

Cheers, I have never had G-Sync or a decent refresh rate (I currently play on a graphic design monitor optimised for colour accuracy and previously on a Plasma TV) so it should be quite an upgrade in that respect too.
I felt unwell at first too but I quickly got used to it.

Having said that if racing is not your primary reason for the monitors your choice is sound. I love my ultra wide and it does not compare to either of those 2. I'd say put your money down :)

Pamellaaa

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Well I have pulled the trigger, went for the Acer because they seem to be basically the same underneath and it was a tad cheaper. Will post impressions as soon as I have them, should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice!

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So, one of my friends is having some bad luck with his motherboard. But what that means is I get to borrow his GTX1080 & omg pCars looks so god damn gorgeous on my monitor. Even did a quick lap round Zolder in the wet with the settings maxed out & the frame rate dropped lowest 80, but g-sync keeps all that action super smooth =D Sure beats potato quality at 40 fps in the wet xD
If you haven't already got an ultrawide monitor, make sure you get a GPU capable of pushing those pixels to ream all the benefits!

Users who are viewing this thread