Advice on Ultrawide Curved Monitors (1 Viewer)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am thinking of changing my monitor setup. I am running currently 1x24'' and 2x19'' monitors in a triple setup. Sadly my computer is too weak to actually use all 3 monitors in any game. I am planning of getting a new computer aswell but that can wait a little bit longer :)

I am currently looking into Ultrawide Curved Monitors but here it starts already.. 27'' or 34''? Is G-Sync important? What about backlightbleeding? Questions over questions :spiderman: :D

I had those 2 monitors in mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-PG348Q-34-Inch-Ultra-wide-Monitor/dp/B01C83BE6U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485161820&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Asus+ROG+PG348Q+86,7cm+(34+Zoll)

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...=1485161834&sr=8-1&keywords=Acer+Predator+Z35

Thanks for every help :)

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
isrtv.com did a review on the Benq models, I know it's not the model you mentioned, but it may be a helpful video to watch:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I reckon your graphics card will seriously struggle with the resolution of the Asus screen - at 60fps, you're going to push 2.5x the number of pixels on the screen compared to your current 24" monitor alone (300M vs 125M pixels). If your 19" screens are 4:3, rather than 16:9, and you can't run this 3-monitor setup effectively, then you won't be able to run the Asus monitor effectively either (on a 4:3 setup for the 19" screens + 16:9 for the 24", your 3 screens need 282M pixels per second, at 60fps). As such, you will either have to compromise on the resolution, the frame rates or budget for a new GPU at the same time.

The Acer monitor, well, it's going to put a lot less strain on your system (at 60fps, it's going to push 166M pixels per second, so about 30% more workload than your current 24" screen alone) but at that sort of money, I'd take the Asus over it. Since the vertical resolution is the same as your 24" screen, your pixels will be about 17% bigger (the vertical height of the Acer panel will be approx. 35cm, vs 30cm for your current screen.

If you're going to upgrade your computer in the near future, then I'd go for the Asus screen and see if you can run it at a lower resolution in the meantime. It being an IPS panel also means colour and brightness should be pretty damn good and even across the whole screen.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I had to use 2 x 980Ti's in SLI to run 3 144hz 1440p at full graphic settings, don't know how a single 1080 would fare?

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
No idea re. the 1080, the only certainty is that Manu's current GTX 760 card is going to cry if it's asked to run that Asus screen at full resolution!

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
No idea re. the 1080, the only certainty is that Manu's current GTX 760 card is going to cry if it's asked to run that Asus screen at full resolution!

Well there is always the option to lower the resolution. I am waiting as @Invincible for the new releases and then I will decide. It is more about which ultra wide not if I can run it. This will be a 100% fact that I will be able to run it :p

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Very interested to see how you get on

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Honestly, given the choice between those two, I'd go for the Asus every day of the week. It being an IPS panel means you categorically will get a better image on it than the VA panel on the Acer - my current monitor has a VA type panel and although brightness does alter slightly across the panel, it isn't too bad at all but, what is bad, is the colour variance when not looking straight at it. For gaming alone, I'd probably still pick the Asus but that it has an IPS panel wins the day for me.

(I should add, the horizontal colour variance isn't too bad until you get to silly angles. Vertical variance is pretty bad though)

Last edited:

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
@t0daY Did you conveniently forget I use a ultrawide lol?:p

If you really want an ultrawide only consider the 3440x1440 34" monitors. Go with the Asus or the Acer X34. While Gsync is expensive it actually does wonders. I love my ultrawide for general desktop use. I think it's the perfect monitor. The little extra width for racing is nice compared to a 16:9 monitor however I always find myself wishing I had more fov. It's perfect for FPS games though.

Instead of getting a ultrawide why not consider getting triple monitors? Specifically the Dell S2716DG. It's the thinnest bezel monitor with 2560x1440p resolution and Gsync. It also has the best TN panel around and with the icc profile from TFT Central it makes the colors look just as good as a IPS monitor. You can find these monitors on sale for $469-$500 all the time. These are the monitors I plan on getting for my rig. So I would seriously consider this option as you can get triples for the price of a ultrawide Gsync monitor. Also I would hold off on getting a ultrawide as the new 3440x1440 144hz ultrawide panels from LG are on their way for Q4 2017.

As for your GPU it should run iRacing in triples with settings turned down obviously. I'm sure pCars would be low to medium settings but you have Gsync to cover you for that. Heck I can always sell you my 980 when I get back as I plan on upgrading to new PC's with 1080ti's so let me know.:)

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
@t0daY
Instead of getting a ultrawide why not consider getting triple monitors? Specifically the Dell S2716DG. It's the thinnest bezel monitor with 2560x1440p resolution and Gsync. It also has the best TN panel around and with the icc profile from TFT Central it makes the colors look just as good as a IPS monitor. You can find these monitors on sale for $469-$500 all the time. These are the monitors I plan on getting for my rig. So I would seriously consider this option as you can get triples for the price of a ultrawide Gsync monitor. Also I would hold off on getting a ultrawide as the new 3440x1440 144hz ultrawide panels from LG are on their way for Q4 2017.

Seemingly they're pretty expensive here. Mostly around 615 to 650 € (660 to 700 $) each. For triples thats a whopping 2.000 $ for monitors only. :eek:

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
Well there is always the option to lower the resolution.
Wouldn't be so sure about it. Maybe those are better but lower resolution than native on a LCD screen can be quite bad. It can multiply the input lag on a screen.

However, don't you consider Vive or Oculus instead of a huge monitor?

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
There'll be a 980Ti up for grabs soon, just saying :p

The ASUS 34'' is amazing, been drooling over it for a while, but since the rift I don't care for monitors anymore ;)

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
but since the rift I don't care for monitors anymore ;)

Until your virtual desktop program fails and takes over your computer during a stint lol! :p

@Invincible yeah, the prices will be higher up there for you guys as you have to deal with import fees and vat.

Alex du Plessis

Community Member
Reaction score
Hmmm roughly R30 000, ok small change once I win the lottery, OMG wishful thinking.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I have the Asus 34" curved ultrawide, the thing is absolutely gorgeous to look at & that's before you even turn the thing on!
I do wish that it had a tighter curvature but I couldn't wait for the X34p to be released.

G-sync works miracles. End of.
Only thing is it takes up a huge amount of desk space, almost 32cm behind the monitor alone with the stand.
If you have a GTX780 or above, you'll be fine running this monitor, you may have to turn down all the visual goodies if you really want to hit that 100fps mark constantly but as I already mentioned, g-sync takes care of everything so you don't need to worry too much.
If I could afford it or won the lottery, I'd buy another 2 for a complete immersive setup, but that would also require a serious GPU upgrade.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have the Asus 34" curved ultrawide, the thing is absolutely gorgeous to look at & that's before you even turn the thing on!
I do wish that it had a tighter curvature but I couldn't wait for the X34p to be released.

G-sync works miracles. End of.
Only thing is it takes up a huge amount of desk space, almost 32cm behind the monitor alone with the stand.
If you have a GTX780 or above, you'll be fine running this monitor, you may have to turn down all the visual goodies if you really want to hit that 100fps mark constantly but as I already mentioned, g-sync takes care of everything so you don't need to worry too much.
If I could afford it or won the lottery, I'd buy another 2 for a complete immersive setup, but that would also require a serious GPU upgrade.

Thats my current plan to wait for the X34p. But on the other side @falcon2081 told me that by the end of this year the first ultrawide curved with 144hz will be released. Decisions over decisions... :oldman:

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Technology advances faster than the consumers can enjoy products these days..
If you can afford it now, get it now, enjoy it & to hell with the consequences xD

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Technology advances faster than the consumers can enjoy products these days..
If you can afford it now, get it now, enjoy it & to hell with the consequences xD

G

Gopher04

Thats my current plan to wait for the X34p. But on the other side @falcon2081 told me that by the end of this year the first ultrawide curved with 144hz will be released. Decisions over decisions... :oldman:

Uhh, you know Ultrawide curved 144hz monitors already exist already.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ugh, you know Ultrawide curved 144hz monitors already exist already.

Where? Which one? I am pretty sure there aren't one.

Users who are viewing this thread