Porsche’s exclusive deal with Electronic Arts is no more (1 Viewer)

Zincau

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm not fan of Porsche brand but its good to see in other games.. Especially PCars and iRacing..

Link: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/12/porsches-exclusive-deal-with-electronic-arts-is-no-more/

At long last, Porsche's exclusive contract with Electronic Arts is at an end. The news, broken by German site SpeedManiacs, followed the appearance of some Porsche cars in Assetto Corsa. Porsche Branded Entertainment Manager Sebastian Hornung told the site that the contract expires this year. That jibes with what we learned last year on a visit to Turn 10, so we can expect many more Porsches to show up in racing games in the coming years.

The deal, which was struck in 2000, has meant that some of the coolest sports cars on wheels have been excluded from most popular racing games ever since. The Gran Turismo series tried a workaround by using the cars modified by Ruf. The Forza franchise sometimes managed to arrange a sublicense from EA and sometimes didn't. As for everyone else? Forget about it.

Why Porsche signed an exclusive license with EA back then is a mystery. As we understand it, the idea was Porsche's, a move the company probably came to regret as EA's racing titles got lapped again and again by GT and Forza on consoles and hardcore sims like iRacing on the PC. Indeed, in conversations on the topic with Porsche North America over the years, we always got the sense the company knew it was paying a hefty price and couldn't wait for the deal to run its course. (We reached out to Porsche this morning for an official comment but have not received a reply at the time of writing.)

The news means that we can expect to see Porsches in the forthcoming Project CARS sequel, and hopefully the machines will be present and correct in Forza Motorsport 7 without requiring a wait and a paid expansion pack. Could they also make it to Gran Turismo Sport? A last-minute delay to that game would hardly be unprecedented.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think a celebratory lap of the Nürburgring in a 911 might be in order...

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It was time they break away from EA :)

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
I'm glad this deal is finally over. There were rumors that at the time when the deal was made Porsche needed the money/an influx of cash and with EA paying top dollar for the license they agreed. Can't wait to start seeing Sims bringing in the Porsche license.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It was time they break away from EA :)
Perhaps they saw how successful SMS were, following their split from EA and thought "I wonder if that could work for us too?" :D

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Nfs porsche unleashed was really good, then Ea hopped on fast and furious train and games started to become shitty arcades for stupid teens with blue neon lights under the car

I can't wait for the Carrera Cup car in this month's Assetto Corsa dlc. A few other ones from the already released packs are great fun too.

I want to try 919 to see how lmp1s handle differently from PCars

Users who are viewing this thread