Oculus Rift gameplay recording (1 Viewer)

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
As I am finally got Oculus Rift, now it's time to learn some stuff. First is how to record gameplay in Oculus?
I did record one R3E gameplay (before yestarday's patch) and it was weird.... output video had really low fov and not floating HUD, like in Oculus, because recorded video was form the monitor mirror video output. I use nVidia Shadowplay.
Any of you know how to set that up? @Cluck @MelBonkers ......TY

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I don't believe it is currently possible to record the actual Rift output, only the monitor's mirrored display.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Then I know what is the problem.. I think that in mirror view on the monitor, my FOV is remained 54° what I set it up before getting Rift. Ill change that to default 80°

Thank you Cluck for idea ;)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hey guys I can't get OBS to record my Rift footage, or better said the mirrored image of the screen. Any advice on how to do it? When I run the game on the monitor without VR it records no problem, but as soon as I switch on the rift I can't get it to capture the mirror.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I can't get OBS to record my Rift footage, or better said the mirrored image of the screen. Any advice on how to do it? When I run the game on the monitor without VR it records no problem, but as soon as I switch on the rift I can't get it to capture the mirror.
do you have nVidia card? because I use shadowplay to do recording. just press alt+f9 and again at the end.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
do you have nVidia card? because I use shadowplay to do recording. just press alt+f9 and again at the end.
Yeah I've been doing some research and it seems I've run into a genuine OBS problem. Didn't want to install GE, but what the hell, just another account right ;) Shadowplay works flawless thanks!

Maybe another question xD When you start the game, does steam still give you the choice if you want to use monitor, vive or rift? Monday I had this window pop up when starting the game from the task bar, now it's gone, just starts directly to monitor -_-

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
That last part is a Steam problem it seems. Both pCARS1 and 2 have lost that startup option, you have to launch the game from the Game Library by right-clicking on it - you'll get the other options then.

I noticed it at the weekend, after a Steam update.

EDIT : Oh and re. OBS, I stopped using it after an incompatibility got introduced between it, the NVidia drivers and an Oculus Runtime update. I switched to GE and never went back - I just created a unique e-mail address for GE, so I don't care if it gets leaked, I'll just remove it from my server!

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
That last part is a Steam problem it seems. Both pCARS1 and 2 have lost that startup option, you have to launch the game from the Game Library by right-clicking on it - you'll get the other options then.

I noticed it at the weekend, after a Steam update.

EDIT : Oh and re. OBS, I stopped using it after an incompatibility got introduced between it, the NVidia drivers and an Oculus Runtime update. I switched to GE and never went back - I just created a unique e-mail address for GE, so I don't care if it gets leaked, I'll just remove it from my server!
Ah cheers cluck :) so it seems there is no work around :/ well I just found this to edit the pcars desktop shortcut so it directly starts in the rift:

Install SteamVR if you haven't done so already, that was causing some problems with me at first.

Try deleting the pCars shortcut and adding a new one from the steam library. Right click the new shortcut -> properties and then select the Web Document tab.

In the URL field delete:
steam://rungameid/234630

and change to:

steam://launch/234630/othervr

Make sure the Oculus program is running (store/library software) and in the HMD you can see the lobby. Then try launching the shortcut.

Running the Oculus software is only to check that the Oculus display is working. You do not have to run it at every launch.

Ok I just deinstalled OBS thanks mate!

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah, it's frustrating. It also means you have to be careful launching pCARS2 - you need to check the right-click options if you want to 'test' it :).

I reported it to Bruno (who promptly went on holiday :D) but also posted about it on the pCARS2 forum, so it is logged at least. I'm surprised more people haven't come across the problem yet.

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Guys, I use Action! from Mirillis and I can't recommend that piece of software enough. A license is about 25 euro's, but it does streaming, recording of games, whether with Rift or monitor or triples just splendidly. I've been using it for years now and also tried OBS but stopped using the latter one.

Users who are viewing this thread