Making car Setup for Newbies (1 Viewer)

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I searched a bit this forum and didn't see any setup theme for beginners (yap, after 1 year of sim racing I am still confused and making setup is pain in the a**). I watched Hobb's guides to Project cars (great job), but it really takes time to get used to all that, and many of us don't have that time to dedicate for "setting up" a car for particular race.
Yes, I go to setup base page, but many of that setups are not just what it suits for me particulary.

So I hope that here are many people that have knowlege and they are willing to share some tips for future races in terms of setup the car.

Here I found a video of a professional racer (Nicki Thiim) where he is explaining in iRacing how to do setup, maybe it would be helpfull for some of us:

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I agree with Dama on this aswell, I know it will probably come with time, but i am just starting out here at RSR, and with Racing in a group again after a number of years off ( i used to race on race07 and could always find a setup for a car to download). It would be useful to get an understanding of how the setups work.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
As a visual learner, this series helped me out immensely.

I've read some articles in the past to try and understand vehicle dynamics & tuning, but this video series helped me grasp it properly. Dampers are a bit of a black art for me still, but I can usually make good steps personalising car setups to my liking fairly quickly now.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
brilliant thank you, i will give them a watch, i part watched that first one and already started to make sense. Its trying to get an understanding of what each area does and what to look for to get the best balance.

I know on some tracks when i am racing i can't get any faster that what i am now, but i know it is possible to go faster, and i think this will help. Lets hope it works and I wont be last anymore

Reactions: Tom

stolnikas

Community Member
Reaction score

I've read some articles in the past to try and understand vehicle dynamics & tuning, but this video series helped me grasp it properly. Dampers are a bit of a black art for me still, but I can usually make good steps personalising car setups to my liking fairly quickly now.

I watched his videos too and it made sence. And don't forget to take notes, it will help you later.

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Have I missed something? It's just 10 minutes of Pcars clips without any commentary?

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
NO you haven't at the top of the video is text description of everything that is needed

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
For the ones that want to learn a bit more about iRacing setups with the enthousiastic and sometimes funny explenation of Nicki Thiim ... Part 2 Ladies and Gentlemen

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Having a basic knowledge of knowing what each component does on the car helps in your set up. There are lots and lots of vids of people telling you how to set this and were to put that but it all amounts to not very much Becouse they are setting the car to there driving style not yours. Take the car out on default settings push it as hard as you can you wont get any serious results if your just plodding arround the track. Thats just my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread