Looking for a new monitor! (1 Viewer)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am currently looking for a new monitor but I have actually no clue what is currently "good stuff" out there. I thought maybe some of you got already some experience and can help me out because usually buying a monitor seems like a lottery.

It should be:
- 27 inch
- 144hz
- G-Sync
- Thin bezel (at least left and right side)

Had this one in mind:

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...z-2560x1440-1xDisplayPort-1xHDMI_1017936.html

Or this one:

https://www.acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/predator-model/UM.HX1EE.005

But this whole "Bla panel is better than Blabla panel, the color is better there blabla" really confuses me. So help meeeee! :D

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, I know a thing or two about monitors :)
Are you going for 1440p? I'd say that make sense with your 980ti.
...your links are broken for me, but I can see them in source code:
Dell S2716DG
Acer Predator XB271

- Thin bezel (at least left and right side)
Going for a triple-screen setup or is there some other reason?

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well, I know a thing or two about monitors :)
Are you going for 1440p? I'd say that make sense with your 980ti.
...your links are broken for me, but I can see them in source code:
Dell S2716DG
Acer Predator XB271

Going for a triple-screen setup or is there some other reason?

I got 2x24inch monitor left and right. With thin Bezel i will build a cheap triple setup yeah :)

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Soo, I did a quick search with your parameters, looks like you're looking for Acer XB271HU. This guy uses AU M270DAN02.6 panel:
- 10 bit (8bit+FRC)
- 2560x1440, 144hz, G-Sync
- IPS
You could also find some Monitors with TN panels, that would fit your specs, some people might argue that's what you want for gaming, since they have a lower input-lag, but honestly, the picture, colour, is shit. I tried a few TN's and it nearly gave me cancer.
Other option would be to drop your G-Sync requirement...

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Soo, I did a quick search with your parameters, looks like you're looking for Acer XB271HU. This guy uses AU M270DAN02.6 panel:
- 10 bit (8bit+FRC)
- 2560x1440, 144hz, G-Sync
- IPS
You could also find some Monitors with TN panels, that would fit your specs, some people might argue that's what you want for gaming, since they have a lower input-lag, but honestly, the picture, colour, is shit. I tried a few TN's and it nearly gave me cancer.
Other option would be to drop your G-Sync requirement...

But isnt the ips panel the lottery you have to run? Reading a lot that people getting a bad panel and need to resend it etc etc

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I got 2x24inch monitor left and right. With thin Bezel i will build a cheap triple setup yeah :)
I see, but I presume you don't want use G-Sync and 144hz 1440p in triple screen right? That's for other games..?

But isnt the ips panel the lottery you have to run? Reading a lot that people getting a bad panel and need to resend it etc etc
Depends on the model. I would suggest reading stuff @ www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/, before purchase.

also, as you can see here, there is not much of a choice of g-sync 27' 144hz 1440p panels.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I see, but I presume you don't want use G-Sync and 144hz 1440p in triple screen right? That's for other games..?

Exactly, would use that only for FPS games or anything non-sim related.

N1kmido

Community Member
Reaction score

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Here is what I´d buy if I had money + space :D: AOC Agon AG322QCX

https://www.caseking.de/en/aoc-agon-ag322qcx-80-01-cm-31-5-zoll-144hz-va-dp-hdmi-tfao-028.html

VA is the best panel currently available on the market in my opinion. (No lottery and best black level which leads to strong colours and great picture quality) I´m using a 60Hz 1080p VA monitor atm and wouldn´t change to TN or IPS anymore.

Cons:

- 31.5"
- no G-Sync
What this is, is Samsung panel. I use Samsung VA too. That said, why this particular AOC?

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
I'll have a look at my colleagues monitor tomorrow. He has a Philips one. Now, I have no clue about the 144Hz and g-sync support on Philips monitors in general, however, it has a very, very, very thin bezel!

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score

If I were you, and have extra money, I would take that Predator, but I think you will be satisfied with that 27" Dell TN panel for FPS gaming. Although whoever saw 165Hz refresh rate with IPS panel (My friend have that Predator - and he plays only FPS fast paced games) never looked back.

P.S.
That video that I posted above is from 2013. and is just to see differences from panel to panel, but now IPS is way faster than it was before.

Last edited:

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Although whoever saw 165Hz refresh rate with IPS panel
LG LM270WQA, release December 2018

27" Dell TN panel
Dell doesn't make panels at all.
The S2716DG uses 8-bit panel from AU optronics. Wouldn't buy it with my money. Good monitor though.

If I were you, and have extra money, I would take that Predator
Agree.
Or ditch the g-sync, save some money and buy a Samsung C27HG70
EDIT: wrong link

Last edited:

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Dell doesn't make panels at all.
The S2716DG uses 8-bit panel from AU optronics. Wouldn't buy it with my money. Good monitor though.

I didn't meant that Dell makes panels, I meant that particular Dell model that t0day wrote in his post as option to buy :)

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I didn't meant that Dell makes panels, I meant that particular Dell model that t0day wrote in his post as option to buy :)
:) ... I'd say in that budget there is nothing better with g-sync, than this Dell.

EDIT: oh, and I should also mention there is a bunch of 27' 31' monitors from AOC, MSI, Asus, that uses the Samsung VA 144hz, 1440p panels. I haven't done any research on them, so can't comment on those.

Last edited:

SP1KEGRW

Community Member
Reaction score
have a look and see what you think it's a very good monitor I have one and I love it

Users who are viewing this thread