falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
@falcon2081 yes, for the 2K!! Did a quick practice with the ferrari at nurburg for the IMSA, manage to do a 1:55.9 baseline, gonna practice more to do my IMSA debut :)

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Next step 'Alien' :D

Think it will take more that a steering wheel to get there, but don't start crashing into me in practice sessions, I prefer my arms attached thanks :)

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
We will crash into you @Bassetts, should become a habit to let go of thee wheel when crashing :smug:

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
When your leading a race and this happens :jawdrop:

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
So just got done with the VRS coaching and here are my thoughts. Overall it was a positive experience. I'm glad I went with him (Madison Down) than with Rens Broekman because from what Madison told me it was supposed to be an hour long only session but he likes to do 2 hours compared to other coaches to be able to cover talking about the telemetry as well as putting it into practice driving around. It was something I completely agreed with since this coach stuff can get expensive over time and 1 hour cannot cover much unless you have the experience using the software.

We had another student join us in the coaching session as well. He was part of the Positive Sim Racing driver development program. After the introductions we pretty much talked about our goals for the 4 weeks and what we wanted to get out of this. After this we pretty much went out on track and did some laps for him to look at the telemetry. We pretty much used mine because the other guy was about 1.8s slower than me and he wanted us to compare my laps instead as he felt it was better for him to listen to us talk about me lol. He was also quite new to the Ferrari. Anyways Madison did his first lap and bangs out a damn 1:52.0 lol. I was like SHIT here we go. So after messing up the first 2 laps trying to warm up I reset and then went out and did my lap. To my surprise I went 1:52.1 rather quickly and comfortably. Which was odd because the 52.1 from last night was a bit hard to get. We all stopped driving and took a look at the telemetry. He was comparing mine to Rens from the VRS data pack. I had already known of the one specific corner where I was losing .254 to Rens but the funny thing was Madison's telemetry lap showed the same issue. He also quickly identified a corner in the infield while watching me and asked why I took that specific corner that way. While there was nothing wrong with the way I took it on telemetry it showed that I was indeed going to quick on entry and that was affecting my mid corner speed. Even though my exit speed would recover. He showed me how he took the corner and so off I went to re-learn that corner. It didn't take me long to realize that he was right.

I was now +.20 on that corner alone just from adjusting my entry speed. It took me about another 4 laps before I was able to bang out this lap once I worked out the new braking and turning point.
time.jpg

Fixing that corner basically allowed me to hold my time for the other corners and get under 52's. So at this point I was actually quicker than Madison and in true competitive pro fashion he goes and does a 51.8 as well. At this point we started focusing on the back left/right kink just before the final right hander. While I improved my braking on that corner I was still losing to Rens about .100 which makes sense. We both were trying to figure out as to how Rens was able to brake so deep and still make the corner. We discussed a couple things and ended with that he was coasting the car which allowed him to maintain his high speed through that kink. But he practically took that corner perfect.

We did talk about all kinds of things. Setups, tire pressures, building setups around a specific wing etc. We also talked about this season's VRS setups and how weird Ren's was setting up the Ferrari lol. Well not super weird but not normal. I would say his knowledge was very comparable to mine and knew a couple little more things than me when I asked. There was about 30min left in the session and the other guy improved his time by about a second. He was doing low 53's now. Madison did apologize to him as he didn't really help him as much as me but the guy was super happy how we both basically were talking about setups and being quick etc. So am sure that guy was soaking in as much knowledge as possible lol.

At this point I was happy my with time and didn't feel like driving anymore. So I took the opportunity and asked both of them to critique the setup I had built for the track. Mainly I was looking for Madison's opinion but I didn't want the other guy to feel left out. Madison was using Ren's VRS set up to this point. So off they go and it wasn't even until a couple corners in and he was praising my setup already. :D He loved it so much that the guy went 1:51.5 with an optimal of 1:51.3! I was like :eek::eek::eek:. He even said my setup is miles better than Ren's VRS set lol. He gave me some feedback that I will try out tomorrow.

I think that alone for me was worth the price of coaching alone. Just seeing your setup be used to get a time that's .200 faster than the VRS set is incredible and humbling to know that my setup's do have pace. We ended the night pretty much just hashing over everything we went over. We did cover dampers and some other advanced stuff. When I told him about our LeMans trouble he knew exactly what happened with us. I told him that was us and funny how word got spread around pretty quick lol.

Next week he gave me the option of covering Lime Rock Park in IMSA or doing a SPA test session. I obviously told him I would rather do SPA but that will depend if the other guy agrees to it as well. I may just pay an extra 2 hour session with me and him and have him just test my setup in the Merc rofl.:cool:

So in conclusion while it's to early to tell how I will progress in the next 4 weeks. I can safely say that I'm glad I took the plunge to do this. I will keep everyone updated with my progress.

PS: Sorry for the wall of text lol.:bookworm:

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I can fully understand that positive simracing guy. I'd be quiet as hell just to soak in as much data as possible. Just by listening to Wyatt, I improved my laptime well over a second in the GT3 in season 1.

I'm glad you are enjoying it so far and hope to soak in a bit of data myself. So where do I register for 1 v 1 Falcon sessions :D

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
If you are paying for a one off 2 hour Spa session, do you want to split it? What time are you looking at doing it?

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
If you are paying for a one off 2 hour Spa session, do you want to split it? What time are you looking at doing it?
He’s session was at 10pm his time so you would be asleep/getting up for work :p

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
To be honest @ramiboo I don't think that's needed. I made things super easy for him because I was already advanced enough when we read the telemetry. I know you're pretty much at my level for reading telemetry too. But it's great to have basically a 8000+ iR pro look at your data and tell you where you could improve. For him it's going to be harder to give me advice as I only need a couple tenths. Usually that may be a corner but when it's tenths over an entire lap then it gets harder.

He's very much like me in the sense that he coaches the rest of his team. He's basically the qualy guy for his team that's his specialty but hes still damn quick.

Last edited:

GoDATP

Community Member
Reaction score
First D Class Skippy Race

definitely not the most clean race, started 11th place in a #3 car (no clue how im #3). on the first lap from start, pass 3 people and keep the positions until a guy 3 places in front SPINS ON HIS OWN and causes a massive pile up, which i ended up being on the bottom of and gained a lot of suspension damage. come out of the pits after repairs, manage to get 3 freebie overtakes of other crashes. start 11th - finish 11th. a few off tracks here and there plus the contact didnt look good - but i still managed +0.05 SR (???). throughout the race, my pace got 1.3 seconds quicker than my quali laps so i feel pretty good!

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
Road to 2K........ +
I'm taking very seriously your challenge @falcon2081 ;)

BTW, what's the meaning of that? was it my connection? I lost a 3rd place cuz my game froze like 5 times in 1 lap :shifty:

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Love start growing for iRacing :D, Whyyyy are you too expensiveeeeeee:(!!!!????

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
@GioVtec yeah probably due to connection issues to the server. Bro you left the server but I could give you the updated setup. :bookworm: Just move the brake bias back to 52.1%. Should help with not locking up the brakes too much. :)

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
@GioVtec yeah probably due to connection issues to the server. Bro you left the server but I could give you the updated setup. :bookworm: Just move the brake bias back to 52.1%. Should help with not locking up the brakes too much. :)

Ahh, If you're saying because you saw me locking them up, I was just trying to mess with you :D

Also thanks for your set up, helped me a lot with yesterday's races and If you have another update, I'll check it tomorrow, I mean later today :facepalm:

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
Road to 2K........ +
I'm taking very seriously your challenge @falcon2081 ;)

BTW, what's the meaning of that? was it my connection? I lost a 3rd place cuz my game froze like 5 times in 1 lap :shifty:

View attachment 1953

Love start growing for iRacing :D, Whyyyy are you too expensiveeeeeee:(!!!!????
What happened to you in the race we were together?

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
What happened to you in the race we were together?

Not much, it was my first race and I was running baseline-ish set up. Could do better but I hit a ford that was in the middle of a corner, from there it was just slower driving :D

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
IMG_0185.jpg
Well, after last night, it seems that I am finally getting somewhere now :hilarious:

Users who are viewing this thread