Advice on new PC (1 Viewer)

G

Gopher04

I think the 1070's are more than enough, a few are only 12% of the performance of the 1080's, but £200 less, no brainer to me.
As for someone saying about SLI, I wouldn't, Nvidia will be fazing it out, they don't feel the need for it, I and believe manufacturers agree as well.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Invincible, you can wait for Ryzen, but maybe untill they do amount of banchmarks and tests at live platforms from users. My expirience tells me that you should never by AMD's first model of anything. They software support is terrible.

I bought trusted Intel i7 lately because I know for sure that it is stable like a rock. Maybe you can wait for Ryzen just to buy Intel at lower price ;)

1070 is really enough for 1080p or even 1440p gaming. 1080 would be too expensice overkill for that resolution.

In my opinion, you should buy some excellent MBO (maybe look at Assus maximus VIII edition), i7 6700 (P Cars is really using i7 cores), 1070 (not referent), 16GB of RAM (2x8 for duall channel).

Last edited:

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Invincible, you can wait for Ryzen, but maybe untill they do amount of banchmarks and tests at live platforms from users. My expirience tells me that you should never by AMD's first model of anything. They software support is terrible.

I bought trusted Intel i7 lately because I know for sure that it is stable like a rock. Maybe you can wait for Ryzen just to buy Intel at lower price ;)

1070 is really enough for 1080p or even 1440p gaming. 1080 would be too expensice overkill for that resolution.

In my opinion, you should buy some excellent MBO (maybe look at Assus maximus VIII edition), i7 6700 (P Cars is really using i7 cores), 1070 (not referent), 16GB of RAM (2x8 for duall channel).

I will see which impact Ryzen has on Intel prices and as I said, I won't buy immediately because I will wait for the Mainboard-reviews. It will probably be ASUS anyway. Most likely something from TUF series.

I'm still on the fence regarding 1070 or 1080. I want to switch to a 144hz 1440p screen somewhere in Autumn. Will the 1070 be able to utilize it at Ultra settings with DS4X? On the other hand, if the 1070 can't do it, the 1080 will most likely struggle too. Pricing difference isn't as severe as in Great Britain though. 618 for the 1080 vs 483 for the 1070 - that's 135 € (exact same model from Palit)

If I were to switch to Intel, this would be my build.

upload_2017-1-16_10-22-29.png

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Real pity that solid-state drives have gone up so much in the last 6 months. In June, I was paying £68 at trade for 480GB drives. The same drive, now, is £110 (that's excluding our 20% VAT by the way)

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Real pity that solid-state drives have gone up so much in the last 6 months. In June, I was paying £68 at trade for 480GB drives. The same drive, now, is £110 (that's excluding our 20% VAT by the way)

Shouldn't they get cheaper over time? I can't remember I've seen a 480 gbp drive for less than 110 € last year.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
That's the way SSD pricing was going, yes, but there's been a worldwide shortage (apparently caused by extra demand from mobile devices) of the chips they use, so prices have been increasing for 6 months now, with UK prices now back where they were 3 years ago.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Oh... bummer. :( Didn't knew about the shortage. I assume the shortage won't disappear magically during the next month (otherwise I might have been able to squeeze in the 750 gb MX300 for the same price as the 525 gb is now).

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Nope, prices are apparently set to go up by another 10% (or more) over the next couple of months. It's even worse in the UK as the dollar value is awful, making everything that little bit more expensive still.

Apparently, once the newer style chips are in full manufacture (the 3D-NAND chips), prices on those will start to come down. In the meantime, the ship has sailed on cheap SSD drives, in the UK at least.

These have been the cost prices, to me through distribution, on a 240GB Kingston drive since the 8th of June last year :-

Early June '16 - £35.29
Late June '16 - £36.32
Early July '16 - £37.31
Late July '16 - £43.34
Early October '16 - £48.34
Mid November '16 - £51.88
Today - £61.43

As I posted earlier, the 480GB version of that drive was £68 in early June. Retail prices, through most e-tailers, are not far off these prices plus 20% here. Heck, even I was selling 480GB drives for just under £100 back in June and one thing I am not known for is "cheap pricing" ;).

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Early June '16 - £35.29
Late June '16 - £36.32
Early July '16 - £37.31
Late July '16 - £43.34
Early October '16 - £48.34
Mid November '16 - £51.88
Today - £61.43

As I posted earlier, the 480GB version of that drive was £68 in early June. Retail prices, through most e-tailers, are not far off these prices plus 20% here. Heck, even I was selling 480GB drives for just under £100 back in June and one thing I am not known for is "cheap pricing" ;).

I hope none of your customers see this when you quoted them £89,99 for a 240 gb SSD in June '16. :p

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I hope none of your customers see this when you quoted them £89,99 for a 240 gb SSD in June '16. :p
:D

As it happens, I have quite an open "pricing policy", that most of my customers know :). I tend to take whatever an item costs me, stick 20% on it, and quote that price to the customer. The only exceptions to that are very low cost items and high cost items (PCs and laptops get a fixed amount added to them, regardless of cost price - a £350 laptop costs me the same amount to prepare and look after as a £1000 one). Occasionally, I'll put a small markup on a printer if I'm going to install it but, otherwise, it's 20% all the way, with VAT on top of that :)

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
20% is a rather fair margin for retail, imho.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Nice build you put together their mate! As for 144Hz 1440p on a 1070. I have a 980Ti which is on par with the 1070, and it works really well at that resolution with almost everything cranked to the max except unnecessary stuff like ultra reflections.

When I'm alone on track I'll hit the 143 FPS limit I set and in races it's around 100, give or take a few even at race start, night or rain. It's nice to have that kind of horse power so you can put the game at one setting and just leave it at that, no matter the conditions.

I run High AA though instead of DS4X though as the 980Ti doesn't seem to like this much of super sampling.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
20% is a rather fair margin for retail, imho.
My apologies for this off-topic discussion but 20% would see most retail stores go under. When I had the shop, we had a gross profit margin of between 32 and 36% for most years. As the well-worn phrase goes, I don't get out of bed for less than 20%* :D.

* Unless it's a computer, or a printer I'm installing, or if the customer is hot and single. OK, just hot, single is optional. I'm kidding, I don't do discounts!

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
I will see which impact Ryzen has on Intel prices and as I said, I won't buy immediately because I will wait for the Mainboard-reviews. It will probably be ASUS anyway. Most likely something from TUF series.

I'm still on the fence regarding 1070 or 1080. I want to switch to a 144hz 1440p screen somewhere in Autumn. Will the 1070 be able to utilize it at Ultra settings with DS4X? On the other hand, if the 1070 can't do it, the 1080 will most likely struggle too. Pricing difference isn't as severe as in Great Britain though. 618 for the 1080 vs 483 for the 1070 - that's 135 € (exact same model from Palit)

If I were to switch to Intel, this would be my build.

View attachment 524
Wow mate 256 for a mainbaord? Can't be serious. Especially as most of the controllers is now in the CPU anyway.
Check this out, safes you over 100 euro. You really picked to most overpriced bullshit board ever xD
Even the Mark2 of that board is 100 euro less.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
I took a look at the mark 2 too, but the shield and the reinforced backplate of the mk. I caught me... :D
Also I rather calculate with a higher budget and have the possibility to improve than calculate as low as possible and don't be able to switch to other parts . And OC ability is a major point for me and I had a few "meh" moments with mid-range mobo's.

in general, I agree with you. 250 quid is quite a lot for a mainboard.
But as we don't know how Ryzen and the X370 chipsets will be priced, I rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not sure if those leaks are "real". If they are real it looks quite promising!

Capture.PNG

G

Gopher04

AMD seemed to have stepped it up this time, the benchmarks that are appearing are quite impressive, and as always their pricing is far better than Intel, we just need to see real gamer's give results when they are released.

Ryzen won't get dedicated Win 7 drivers but is fully supported, not sure how this will effect anything.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah, if those results are valid out in the real world then we might finally move CPUs forward again. Last time we had significant progress was the last time AMD were actually competitive - that gave us the Core2Duo and then the Core iX chips. Since then, well, we've had so little progress it's been stupefying :(

Users who are viewing this thread