Project CARS 2 Tyre Pressures (1 Viewer)

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I've driven 3 cars for coming events, trying to get tyre temps sorted and with each car I have had to go down to minimum tyre pressures to get anywhere near 75 let alone over 80. Am I missing something, apart from a functioning brain?

The Wayfaerer

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
it might be with the last 2 races being at night, and the total different circumstances we have now in these conditions with livetrack 3.0
and the effects of the colder temperatures due to using the real life that might also lead to this result
But i'm not sure if this is really the cause for your problems

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Pc2 is a bit different than pc1 wrt tire pressures.

The tire grip is more contact patch than surface temperature driven, which is in line with the soft compound now being a cold weather, the hard compound a hot weather tire.

You can't influence the temps with the pressures a lot anymore, you're more aiming for an optimal hot pressure. That means that you actually put more starting pressure into the tires that are running colder due to the track layout.

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
And what is the ideal hot pressures? I believe it was found in the files for pCars1 but I cannot find anything for pCars2. It's one of the last elements I need to get going with setups.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
think for the soft slicks its around 55-60deg C but this is from my own feel. compared to pcars1 where I'd set pressures for tyre temps to be around 97-104 for most cars..

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
And you think I would tell you :p

Joking aside I don't know, also there isn't something as a general ideal tire pressure. E.g. slower corners need lower pressures, since there's less wheel load to squash the contact patch.

Topsie

Community Member
Reaction score
I'd love more info on this. I'm getting to grips with most things (pun intended), but this one eludes me at present.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I don't understand, if there isn't anything to work to then how do you know when you've got it right, it will be purely guesswork, what's the point, you might as well just leave tyre pressures as default all the time. No wonder the tyres were not heating up no matter how low I was going.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
There is no ideal temperature like in iRacing @2scoops (no offense against iRacing!). As @Puffpirat said, it is way more dynamic than in pC1. It also leans more toward RL. I can't imagine in F1 their aim is to hit hot pressure X and then they are happy.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I don't understand, if there isn't anything to work to then how do you know when you've got it right, it will be purely guesswork, what's the point, you might as well just leave tyre pressures as default all the time. No wonder the tyres were not heating up no matter how low I was going.
The point is lap time!? That's the only point. Get away from the, I need temp Y to be fast.

You will notice a difference in pace when you up or down the pressures 0.1 bar all around. There definitely is still a reason to change pressures ;)

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I've been using more toe to try and get more heat in the tyres, but with little testing I'm not sure if it's been very successful though.

I think we have to pay more attention to the temp differences across the tyre, as in outside, middle and inner side of the contact patch (visible in the the telemetry HUD), as an indicator as to how to optimise them. This is how I understand it:

In a straight line with 0 camber, Too little pressure will show a lower middle temp, as the tyre is under inflated and 'sagging' in the centre, and only contacting the track on the outer edges. Too much pressure and the middle temp will be higher, as the tyre is over inflated and 'bulging' in the middle. What we're aiming for is minimal temp difference across the outside, middle, and inner side of the tyre, meaning contact patch is uniform. Of course all of this goes out the window as soon as you go around a corner, as the lateral forces and camber settings come into play. The contact patch would be different in a high speed corner, compared to a straight line.

I'm too much of a ham fisted driver with a short attention span to set up a car this way, I think you'll need telemetry to do it 'properly' as well.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that it's something your going to need to spend hours on to get it right, something I don't have, so i'll just have to guess. Thanks for the explanation @Battenberg, that will help me get somewhere in the ball park.

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
Hey Scoops, I did a little practice last night. The tyres fluctuate in temperature more than in PCars1. When the tyres are loaded up in the corners is when they heat, and now thay heat quicker. They also cool down quicker when you are going in the straight line. This levels out a bit after you've done a few laps on them and I agree that this does simulate RL. I still feel you should not let them be over 110C for too long though, they seem to loose some grip at this point, it's not like a cliff but you'll struggle to correct a slide once they go past that. I was heating up the outside rear last night being too aggressive with it. In this situation I would raise the pressure of the outside rear slightly compared to the others to try to take away some of it's peak grip, thus not letting it generate the load and friction it had before. This would also slow me down slightly but should give me a bit more consistency on a longer run. I'm still playing around with setup as there are other things you can do to spread the load of the car so you don't just heat up 1 tyre. But all changes come with a compromise somewhere. Kudos to Puffi his times are great in that GT4 Porsche. I'm struggling with it's balance at the moment.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Found a nice table in the wmd forums in this regard:

tiretemps.png

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Shame there isn't a medium slick tyre for the gt4

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
From the developers:
Originally Posted by Tiago Fortuna
Many series use a wet/dry and that's it in the races. Maybe it's easy to select the slicks according to weather forecast to give the player just those options for the race?
For GT3 and GT4 etc. series this is usually the case. The tyre supplier, be it Pirelli, Hankook, Falken, Continental or Avon usually just supplies a single dry compound. The only reason we're bothering with a soft option at all is because the game allows us to race in freezing conditions too, and we want to have a tyre ready that can handle that.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
.... Going from that response then, @t0daY wasn't wrong when he said hards were the tyre to use :eek:;)

Users who are viewing this thread