Stuttering & crashes in VR (1 Viewer)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
So sad I am not able to make it to attend this one because I was pretty fast on this track in RSR cup 4. Still struggling with my PC and lagging VR. Replaced my single 1TB hdd for a SSD for the OS and a 2TB hdd for data... everything is up to date and freshly installed/configured... but still lagging/freezing since about a month in whatever game I try.
Will have to continue troubleshooting tonight instead of racing :(

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hey, I thought I'd copy your post to a new thread over so we can help you out a bit. Can you describe the lags & freezes a bit more?

Do you have any more info on your mobo? A quick google says it's a proprietary HP one, so my gut says it may be a USB chipset issue. In my experience most instability issues with the rift are caused by USB. When I first got my rift I had an older Mobo, and quickly learned that not all USB 3 ports are equal...

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The USB card recommended on the Oculus forums is this one - Amazon link . There are cards available, from Startech for example, that have separate USB controllers for each port but that's probably overkill.

I'm on the older DK2 Rift and after I started experiencing problems, I had to experiment for weeks before I found a combo of ports that has worked flawlessly ever since. For me, it's a mixture of USB 2 and USB 3 ports, since the DK2 isn't full USB 3 like the CV1.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Hey, I thought I'd copy your post to a new thread over so we can help you out a bit. Can you describe the lags & freezes a bit more?

Do you have any more info on your mobo? A quick google says it's a proprietary HP one, so my gut says it may be a USB chipset issue. In my experience most instability issues with the rift are caused by USB. When I first got my rift I had an older Mobo, and quickly learned that not all USB 3 ports are equal...

Damn HP site is in maintenance....
HP support page

Mobo is Pegatron Odense (IPM17-00-Odense)

In Dutch... not all information unfortunately
  • Fabrikant: Pegatron
  • Model: uATX - 24 x 24 cm (9,4 x 9,4 inch)
  • Chipset: H110
  • Geheugensockets: 2 x DDR3L
  • Processorsocket: LGA 1151
  • Uitbreidingssloten:
    • 1 PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0)
    • 1 PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
    • Een M.2 sleuf 1, toets A

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I switched to that card that cluck recommended, and in all honesty had very little problms with rift since i made the move, not saying your problem is directly that.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
IIRC you have a slimline case, right? This one might be a better fit for you. It uses the same Fresco logic chip (FL1100) as the Inateck card Cluck linked.
This is the case model
c04649062.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Well even in the 'First Contact' I get a delay when I move my head or move my hands...
maxresdefault (1).jpg

In PCARS2 during TT... I centre my VR view, but when I stand up the image moves with me... and sort of drops back... but not in the same position... back on my chair, recenter VR view... click start and issues right away... lagging and within a lap the image freezes for 5 to 10 seconds... and I crash my car... can continue after that but lagging/freezing issue stays the same.
As if my PC or whatever part in it... can't keep up with the movement of the car.... or the trackers are (or one is) too slow or in conflict with each other?

Last edited:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Roll back your NVIDIA driver to 388.59, that’s the one Oculus suggests. Just test if it fixes it. I can tell you my exact driver later when I’m home, it’s 397 something and I get those tracking stutters whenever I upgrade to a newer version.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
have your rift sensors moved since you first set them up? might be worth going thru the setup of them again (if you haven't already)

also pc2 specific, put -pthreads 4 -vrnomirror in the steam launch options, this spreads the load over your CPU and doesn't render to the screen thus saving GPU processing (you will need to turn on Gaze control first)

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I had similar problem once and it has been related to nvidia drivers. First try this that Puff suggests.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
have your rift sensors moved since you first set them up? might be worth going thru the setup of them again (if you haven't already)

also pc2 specific, put -pthreads 4 -vrnomirror in the steam launch options, this spreads the load over your CPU and doesn't render to the screen thus saving GPU processing (you will need to turn on Gaze control first)

Done setup several times, didn't move sensors since then, did so in the past without any issues. Problem is not PCARS2 specific, but will surely give your suggestion a try if rolling back nVidia drivers and swapping USB ports doesn't help.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
If problem is related to USB ports then Oculus would be disconnecting often, not that type of error that you have.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Roll back your NVIDIA driver to 388.59, that’s the one Oculus suggests. Just test if it fixes it. I can tell you my exact driver later when I’m home, it’s 397 something and I get those tracking stutters whenever I upgrade to a newer version.

Everyhing was working fine on November 3rd, looking at a TT table, after that there were 2 driver updates (November 8th and 13th), so I'll first check if the drivers before those dates will do the trick:
Version416.34 - WHQLRelease DateThu Oct 11, 2018

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Yes yes yes!!! The Breeze is back! :happy:
Rolled back the nVidia drivers...which probably did the trick. But also found a tight bend in one of the sensor cables...bad cable management :rolleyes:. Thanks all for your support, much appreciated!

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Update: for some reason, one of the 2 sensors doesn’t like the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports at the back of my PC, so I thought the cable might be damaged because I bended it too much trying to get it in the cable tray underneath my desk, fingers crossed that it’s not damaged.
Moved the cable to the USB 3.0 at the front, so all Oculus connections are on USB 3.0 now, and moved my pedals to the USB 2.0 port at the back.
So far so good, all looks ok now, but ordered the USB 3.0 card as advised by @Cluck as well, so I can get all connections moved to the back of my PC.
And if issues get back, I will have to order a replacement cable for the sensor (USB-USB mini...I think).

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
make sure you haven't got an outstanding Rift update.

I had this when one of my sensors wouldn't calibrate. The rift update had failed because there was not enough space on my HDD. the previous Windows update had left 12GB of crap on the drive and used almost all the remaing space!! Quick disk clean got rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread