Split 2 - R5: Hockenheimring - 16th April 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Class: GTE
Track: Hockenheimring
League Agreement: Mandatory Pitstop

Date: Monday, 16th April 2018
17:30 UTC - Optional Practice
18:30 UTC - Driver Briefing (Mandatory)
18:40 UTC - Qualifying
19:00 UTC - Race

Race
Date: 16th April 2018
Time Progression: 2x
Weather Progression: Sync to Race

Qualifying Duration: 20 minutes
Qualifying Start Time: 13:00

Qualifying Weather Forecast: Light Cloud

Race Time: 5 + 60 minutes
Race Start Time: 14:00
Race Weather Forecast: Light Cloud > Light Rain > Random

Realism Settings
Force Realistic Driving Aids:
Yes
Force Manual Pitstops: Yes
Tire Wear: Authentic
Fuel Depletion: Yes

Starting Procedure: Rolling Start, the pole driver will lead the field through the formation lap. The speed limit for the lead car will be 50mph / 80kph. We are going to form up in a 2×2 formation at the beginning of sector 3, maintaining our speed. Odd numbers on the right side and even numbers on the left side.

Penalties
-

Confirmed No-Shows
-

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
has the motivation faded for everyone? :D how is your training going?

I've found my car a bit more oversteery than i expected, the problem is, once the rain comes...my car is not prepared at all...i think a bit of luck will also be a big factor as i think the loss of grip is quite sudden.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I wanted to practice last night, but my team mate obviously got dragged into another game and didn't show up, so I joined the induction. My fastest lap was a 1:38.5 in the dry so far, haven't done any wet testing. I think the best would be to change to wets around the 18-19 minute marker, as the weather slots will last for around 20 minutes each... Switching back to slicks in case of a dry 3rd weather slot is a no-go, as the track would not dry up enough, or has anybody already tested this?

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I wanted to practice last night, but my team mate obviously got dragged into another game and didn't show up, so I joined the induction. My fastest lap was a 1:38.5 in the dry so far, haven't done any wet testing. I think the best would be to change to wets around the 18-19 minute marker, as the weather slots will last for around 20 minutes each... Switching back to slicks in case of a dry 3rd weather slot is a no-go, as the track would not dry up enough, or has anybody already tested this?

Have done some testing and its very hit and miss as to whether you would swap onto drys as the track drys up. the time it takes to pit to swap to the drys against how much time gained from switching to drys is very close. ( i am talking seconds here) There was some testing done with a few of us and we filled the track with AI to try and simulate what would happen, and the track does dry but it does leave some wet spots that cause the clicks to drift a lot. At end of day it depends on how live track behaves with regards to drying times etc, plus obviously how many of us end up on the track.

Personally, I am going to stick on Wets for the last part of the race no matter what happens. I will be on tonight for some practice sessions, if anyone cares to join me.

benimi

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
has the motivation faded for everyone? :D how is your training going?

My motivation is stronger then ever! And for "how the training is going" part, it's the same as it was so far for every race, I can't find any time to do it...

Last edited:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
My motivation is stronger then ever! And for "how the training is going" part, it's the as it was so far for every race, I can't find any time to do it...

No need for practice mate, just bring a tow-bar and the pack will drag you around :D

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
i still need to test the transition to dry, the problem is, i'm not in the mood to drive 20min in the rain :D.

With luck it will remain rainy through the random weather setting at the end of the race :D

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well i hope you all behave yourself this race as its being live streamed by yours truely.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
so i've tested a full stint with the AI in the following conditions:

light cloud - light rain - clear . I set the last 3rd to be clear as it would be the most extreme dry condition we can take.

- I am quite happy with my setup in the dry...i should probably make my setup more adapted to the rain, however to be honest i'll probably will not do that.
- I am aiming for a time on the low 1:37 mark for quali. my best race time was 1:37:700 (hard tyres) and i was consistently around that and 1:38...i think i can do a bit better nonetheless.
- I think when you start hearing the water in the track its time to pit for wets...this occurs i think on the 2nd or 3rd lap after it starts raining.
- The pit box is very small, i think it will be likely there will be stacks waiting to be and it will be a mess...there will be a good reason to be upfront as those there will have a less likely scenario where they will stack with other drivers...still P2 could stack behind P1 in an unlucky Pit location draw. I hope this will not blew anyone's race.
- I am either very slow at the rain, or the AI becomes rainmeisters or have 'fake grip' because in the dry we were doing the same lap times, but in the wet, i was 2 or 3 seconds slower per lap at least. i guess its a mix of both of them as i am not a good rain driver.
- i was left with 4L in the tank by the end of the race and started with full tank. I did 60min+rolling start...with 65min, i think i will probably add 5L on my pit just to be on the safe side.
- The track does indeed almost dry out, but some puddles and damp areas remain...i think it's probably not worth it to switch back to slicks. at least the AI did not too :D...any opinions on this?

Last edited:

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
- The track does indeed almost dry out, but some puddles and damp areas remain...i think it's probably not worth it to switch back to slicks. at least the AI did not too :D...any opinions on this?

Thats good, I have experienced the same, and actually tried moving back to slicks towards the end of the stint, the problem with the slicks is, although there is a mostly dry track there are a few bits that dont dry up that make the slicks quite deadly. I think that choice is going to be a call it on the night moment, depending on how live track drys up etc, but more than likely i think i will be staying on wets based on what i tested.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thats good, I have experienced the same, and actually tried moving back to slicks towards the end of the stint, the problem with the slicks is, although there is a mostly dry track there are a few bits that dont dry up that make the slicks quite deadly. I think that choice is going to be a call it on the night moment, depending on how live track drys up etc, but more than likely i think i will be staying on wets based on what i tested.
Obviously with a drying track, if you are in a lower position it might be worth the gamble?? I would expect to run the softs in that situation as overall temps would be lower and u could run off line to cool the tires should you need to. Its certainly something i will consider

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
we have a 50% change of rain to continue probably, and even if it's dry weather it can be i.e. overcast where the track will dry at a much slower pace.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about withdrawing from this race. I tried the transition from dry to light rain yesterday. I put on the wets as soon as the first drops came down and when the track got wet, it felt like ice skating. I couldn't keep the car going in a reasonable manner and my laptime dropped by 20 seconds...that's ridiculous. I will do some more testing and try some setup tweaking, but if it's not getting better, i will not participate in R5. :chicken:

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I am thinking about withdrawing from this race. I tried the transition from dry to light rain yesterday. I put on the wets as soon as the first drops came down and when the track got wet, it felt like ice skating. I couldn't keep the car going in a reasonable manner and my laptime dropped by 20 seconds...that's ridiculous. I will do some more testing and try some setup tweaking, but if it's not getting better, i will not participate in R5. :chicken:

That is something expected i believe. I also had the same time drop and the car was now an understeering fest. It gets a bit better after 10min.

I do think nonetheless that it's a bit over the top and exagerated how livetrack simulates light rain. You suddenly go from dry conditions to ice skating. Light rain for 20min shouldn't even be a huge deal for slick tyres, let alone creating massive puddles.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yes ok the game is some what buggy and somethings dont work how they would but the weather can change at the drop of a hat these are things you deal with i know this is not real life racing but we aim to make it as realistic as possible.. If its zero weather you are after then iracing with its no weather and 24hour day time is what your after..

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
@Jonno I totally agree with you. The weather and night-and-day cycle stuff is great, but in this case it just feels plain wrong. Take the Silverstone race e.g. where we started in rain and the laptimes improved lap by lap when the rain stopped. One could easily adept to that. In Hockenheim you are going from superfast to grandma driving within one lap, even if you are on appropriate tires already. Doesn't make sense in any way. If I have the feeling I cannot handle that, I am gonna skip it, because I don't want to ruin other peoples race.

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it sure seems more than "light" rain! I think it's the 2x weather speed that makes it so treacherous, and the puddles build up so quickly.

For what it's worth, when I come into the pits and put my wet tires on the car, I also open up the In-Car Management menu and adjust my Traction Control (20% tire slip down to 10%) and my Brake Bias (55/45 to 50/50). I've even experimented with turning the Traction Control setting from Low to High.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Plus, you're all much more experienced than me and have already tried these things, I'm sure. I just wanted to throw it out there.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Yeah, it sure seems more than "light" rain! I think it's the 2x weather speed that makes it so treacherous, and the puddles build up so quickly.

For what it's worth, when I come into the pits and put my wet tires on the car, I also open up the In-Car Management menu and adjust my Traction Control (20% tire slip down to 10%) and my Brake Bias (55/45 to 50/50). I've even experimented with turning the Traction Control setting from Low to High.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Plus, you're all much more experienced than me and have already tried these things, I'm sure. I just wanted to throw it out there.
yeah - it's the 2x thing that makes it seem silly, not the rain itself I think. Remember you are "actually" getting 40mins of rain, not 20.... I'm not actually sure why we do 2x time.

With pit times of 40+ secs to change tyres its going to be a brave person who switches to dries for 6 laps at the end....

- I am either very slow at the rain, or the AI becomes rainmeisters or have 'fake grip' because in the dry we were doing the same lap times, but in the wet, i was 2 or 3 seconds slower per lap at least. i guess its a mix of both of them as i am not a good rain driver.

If you are only 2-3 secs slower per lap in the rain....congratulations on your win at Hockenheim :)

EDIT: Also, the AI completely ignores all track conditions and are simply sped up or slowed down based on some multiple for the conditions I think. In summary, they care not for that puddle you have to avoid, and they can take corners full throttle that you would not dare too. The flip side generally is that they are stupidly slow on the straights in rain.

Last edited:

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Looks like I may have an uphill battle with one day's practice before the race :D
Lemme win aha

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can some people try something for me please.

There has been a lot of talk on the public forum about setups saved prior to patch 5 causing problems since Patch 5 was released. I've just cleared my saved setups and loaded up a Light Rain session and did a 1m44 lap on cold wet tyres with a full tank. More importantly, the car was controllable and predictable.

What I would like is for a few people to try this out too.

Make a manual note of your current setup for this race
Go to \Documents\Project CARS 2\savegame\8053534\project cars 2\tuningsetups and move all the files in there to a new folder.
Launch pCARS2 and create the setup from scratch
Test

Please note, there is always a small chance that you will lose access to the setups entirely, so proceed at YOUR OWN risk. However, if others experience the same then this is going to be a necessary evil so that we can all enjoy a brilliant race :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread