Split 1 - R5: Hockenheimring - 16th April 2018 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
s4-r5-hockenheim-banner.jpg

Class: GTE
Track: Hockenheimring
League Agreement: Mandatory Pitstop

Date: Monday, 16th April 2018
17:30 UTC - Optional Practice
18:30 UTC - Driver Briefing (Mandatory)
18:40 UTC - Qualifying
19:00 UTC - Race

Race
Date: 16th April 2018
Time Progression: 2x
Weather Progression: Sync to Race

Qualifying Duration: 20 minutes
Qualifying Start Time: 13:00

Qualifying Weather Forecast: Light Cloud

Race Time: 5 + 60 minutes
Race Start Time: 14:00
Race Weather Forecast: Light Cloud > Light Rain > Random

Realism Settings
Force Realistic Driving Aids:
Yes
Force Manual Pitstops: Yes
Tire Wear: Authentic
Fuel Depletion: Yes

Starting Procedure: Rolling Start, the pole driver will lead the field through the formation lap. The speed limit for the lead car will be 50mph / 80kph. We are going to form up in a 2×2 formation at the beginning of sector 3, maintaining our speed. Odd numbers on the right side and even numbers on the left side.

Penalties
-

Confirmed No-Shows
-

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I've done a few laps yesterday...
- some curbs will suck you in and kill you
- light rain does not seem that "light". Lot of spinners expected.
- my race-pace in dry 1:37s so far.
- rear left tyre still overheats on 911

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Did my first test last night. Yeah don’t know if it’s the track, the new tires or maybe a ride height problem but the kerbs are deadly.

Better to stay away from them on a longrun.

Cornworld

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I’m out of the league. After missing last race due to my wheel dying on me yesterday my TV died. The screen suddenly cracked. It’s send off for repairs but it could take up to three weeks before it’s back. I can’t set up my rig in the living room (it’s grown to big) so I’m only able to play regular games. @Col_McCoy sorry mate for leaving you behind

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The tyres in the LMP2 and GTE are indeed a bit edgier now on some kerbs. But other than that, they are downright glorious to drive with :)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
Could we please change the weather to not have rain at Hockenheim?
At Silverstone the rain was good, increased the fun. On Hockenheim the puddles are rather bad. Esp. the one in the hair pin kills one overtaking spot. The track is usually much better for overtaking than Watkins Glen was, but without this one it could be again a race where it's mostly impossible to overtake. Let's please not have such a race again. Watkins Glen could have been a chance for wet weather to spice things up, in Hockenheim it reduces the quality of racing for position.
Also the way the weather is now, it is questionable to start with rain tires. As the rains sometimes starts at 56:00 sometimes at 49:00. One of two would destroy the wet tires.
The wet tires on the other hand overheat badly towards the last ~7 mintues of the race. They get way too hot and on my two tests about 7-6 minutes I was driving like on ice. Spun twice in the Motordrome. On the other hand, towards the end of the race the track isn't dry enough to drive with slicks. There are still a few deep puddles. Esp on the long straight at the bend, the car swims up and the driver has no control over his car for about 2s. It can happen that the car swims from left side of the track onto off track on the ride sight.
So what shall we do? I think there are no intermediates we could take on a 2nd pit stop.

In the dry Hockenheim is great. We can push with the hard tires as much as we can. The soft tires are bit on the hot side but it's possible with the Ford. Can't we please race for once on a track where overtaking is possible and tire behave like they should without creative weather?

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The weather will be the same as stated. firstly it would be unfair on those who have practised in the rain and secondly in the real world, races still go ahead in mixed conditions.

Being on the correct tires for the conditions is important, if you start on Wets, you will destroy them before the rain arrives, Live track could mean it doesn't start raining for 15 minutes and you will loose so much time on wets your race will be over. If you take the gamble and it pays off then that's great but it can easily backfire.

As the 3rd weather slot is set for Random, we could easily go into thunderstorms of heavy rain for the final part of the race so dont expect a drying track.
If the track starts to dry you should be looking for the puddles to cool the tires but it might be worth the risk (depending on position and others) to pit for slicks at the end.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
The races are organized to have fun. This is not the real world. Watkins was boring as we couldn't overtake and Sakitto was a mess for half of the field at least. Hockenheim could be fun but the mix condition reduces the fun and the overtaking options. Going from slicks to wets on a moist or wet track is really horrible. The first time I tested it I tought the Wets are broken. But a few laps in it got better. On the 2nd test I spun again on my out lap. Something about the tire pressures and temps of the wet make them extremely dangerous in he first two laps, on top there is the difference between slicks dry track to rain tires on wet track. Anyone that did a race tests must have noticed it. Same about pitting for slicks in the end, it is madness!

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yes ok the game is some what buggy and somethings dont work how they would but the weather can change at the drop of a hat these are things you deal with i know this is not real life racing but we aim to make it as realistic as possible.. If its zero weather you are after then iracing with its no weather and 24hour day time is what your after...

ProjectPD

Community Member
Reaction score
Can't be enough rain from my side :happy:.
It is so much fun in this game and the graphics is awesome :stig:.
Further more I think that rain races are more interesting, because of the huge amount of overtakes we see in the last rain races (not only in Silverstone)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
in the real world in the real world in the real world in the real world
Just by the way James, in the real, real world, weather forecasts can change, somtimes even shortly before the race or can even be false, and "races still go on".

It is sad to see this highly anticipated cup with that the admins have put so much work in, becoming something "we must make the best of it" instead of "we are looking forward to awesome racing".

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Just by the way James, in the real, real world, weather forecasts can change, somtimes even shortly before the race or can even be false, and "races still go on".

It is sad to see this highly anticipated cup with that the admins have put so much work in, becoming something "we must make the best of it" instead of "we are looking forward to awesome racing".
I know it can and 99% of the time the races go ahead as scheduled with drivers/teams dealing with whatever happens.
This season had a lot to offer and it upsets us all to hear people complaining and not enjoying the racing but we have 2 races left, so lets finish the season on a high! :)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Jesus crist man... Stop moaning about it. Im sick to death of coming on here and reading ohhh wooo is me i cant drive in the wet the track is wrong the tires are wrong the game is broke this car is faster than this car blah blah blah honestly are we here to have fun enjoy the racing what ever the weather with like minded people or are we here to moan about eveything..there is a simple solution to what people moan at ..dont do it.. Im sick of seeing moaning just enjoy the game and all its pros and cons.

Im not aiming this at one person im aming it at all that moan about it.

Im sorry if my comment offends anyone but lets do what we are here to do race and have fun doing it.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
the tires are wrong the game is broke this car is faster than this car blah blah blah

This reminded me of Lance Stroll. Who, when spins blames everything except himself, well done!. You put a smile on my face ;-)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can some people try something for me please.

There has been a lot of talk on the public forum about setups saved prior to patch 5 causing problems since Patch 5 was released. I've just cleared my saved setups and loaded up a Light Rain session and did a 1m44 lap on cold wet tyres with a full tank. More importantly, the car was controllable and predictable.

What I would like is for a few people to try this out too.

Make a manual note of your current setup for this race
Go to \Documents\Project CARS 2\savegame\8053534\project cars 2\tuningsetups and move all the files in there to a new folder.
Launch pCARS2 and create the setup from scratch
Test

Please note, there is always a small chance that you will lose access to the setups entirely, so proceed at YOUR OWN risk. However, if others experience the same then this is going to be a necessary evil so that we can all enjoy a brilliant race :)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
Can some people try something for me please.

There has been a lot of talk on the public forum about setups saved prior to patch 5 causing problems since Patch 5 was released. I've just cleared my saved setups and loaded up a Light Rain session and did a 1m44 lap on cold wet tyres with a full tank. More importantly, the car was controllable and predictable.

What I would like is for a few people to try this out too.

Make a manual note of your current setup for this race
Go to \Documents\Project CARS 2\savegame\8053534\project cars 2\tuningsetups and move all the files in there to a new folder.
Launch pCARS2 and create the setup from scratch
Test

Please note, there is always a small chance that you will lose access to the setups entirely, so proceed at YOUR OWN risk. However, if others experience the same then this is going to be a necessary evil so that we can all enjoy a brilliant race :)
A rain session at the beginning of the session isn't very wet. On Silverstone the pace went from about 2:06 on the first lap to 2:12 or 2:13 when the track was properly wet. Should be even more significant on a light rain session. Also the pit stop onto wet tire is the trouble maker you should test.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The thing this is trying to solve is those who were having enormous problems controlling the car. For some people their car was damn-near undriveable and I was one of them. The car was more like a hovercraft, with zero feeling of connection to the road underneath. When I drove it last night I struggled to keep the car under control, doing 1m55s laps (or more) almost as soon as the rain started falling consistently. Yes, the 1m44 was at the start of a session that was set as Light Rain, but after 15-20 minutes I was running consistent 1m50-1m51 laps on a dry-setup car (near-as-dammit the default 'loose' setup with 1 extra rear wing - 1F, 7R - and wet tyres) and in full control.

I haven't yet tried the transition from dry to wet, simply because the wet tyre was a disaster, so I was ready to pull out of the race entirely (I even tried just running the wet tyre on a dry track and I couldn't make it round a single lap). However, one of our staff tried it on the Ford GT and was able to run the dry tyre for a number of laps after the rain started, so that didn't seem to be a problem for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread