Split 1 - R5: Brands Hatch - 26th Jun 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the dilemma, very interesting, i'm in 2 minds what to do. It would be good if you could change certain things in the pitstop like you can in real life situations, maybe PC2 . . . . .

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
As usual, I've left my homework until the last minute. I'll be doing my first laps in the car a few hours before the race. I love the circuit, it should be a great race.
That's the Meaty Treat trademark!

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Cluck ur upp ;-). 1.16.146 TT (I assume you also have all assists OFF and you use the KERS whenever fill fit).

I'm gonna start training for normal qualy now instead of TT

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
nice lap! I won't be doing any more TT laps on this combo (at least, not until after the race), I need to focus my memory on what it was like in race conditions. I only had a quick go again yesterday to see what I could do when trying again with a quali setup - didn't realise 2 of you had gone faster earlier in the day :eek:. Wish I hadn't messed up that one corner or it would have been a 1m15 lap :(

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
15s are definetely possible... but I´m having a hard problem to get them in the low´s.
As for qualy.. it´s all about managing traffic on this very very very very short circuit. Also the KERS gives you amazing extra pace difference, so one mistake or one problem with car on track, its checking if you have enough kers or otherwise back to pit and immediately out again.
Guys just be carefull when exiting the pits, cause I expect a lot of us will have a lot of pit exits, just have a look at the circuit screen if possible and wait if you see somebody coming. Using the words exiting the pit is nice info but on this track it´s less usefull than people on a fast lap saying ´approach pit exit´ ;-)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to struggle to make this, I've got an appointment at 19:10 for half an hour so I'm pretty sure I'll miss the start. Gutted, Brands is a fav of mine :(
That's unfortunate for the team, both of us unable to make it. We will have to make up for it next week!

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
upload_2017-6-26_18-22-35.png

What have you made me do.... hahahaha
Car is totally default, don't have time to make much in the way of a setup.
Major changes are tyre pressures & fuel level. My lap times are going to be horrendous :oops:

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So that was a first, the car I had in the race wasn't even close to the car I had in qualifying. Understeering everywhere, brakes reminded me of trying to do an emergency stop on an oil tanker... non existent.
Pitted lap 3 to see if I had damage & car was still just as bad. Couldn't even get my pace below the 1.20's for the first 7 laps of the race before the rain came..
Another 7 laps after pitting for wet tyres didn't improve anything & I was more a danger to others than myself, retired to the pitbox.
I'll be back for Spa!

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
Gutted! Had to goto the door after Qually and when i got back missed setting my rad to the race setting by about half a sec before it switched to the race. so tried to short shift to save the engine as much as possible to the pitstops but couldn't make it and the engine blew up :(

B

Blue Monkey

3 wide on the grass 2.jpg

3 wide there - what a battle :p awesome @t0daY @Feanor

Had a very good race until the pitstop - tried even a overcut but didnt gain / lose any time
I got 140°C tires out of the pits - that went okayish for a few laps until the rain kicked in, undrivable

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
All messed for me:

Once qualifications started, the wheel setting was completely weird, going to maximum when doing a minimal move, thus was impossible to drive. So I messed around with the wheel settings for 10 minutes to find something reasonable, so I only got 5 minutes qualifications left. Then right after the start I've had an unfortunate contact, which caused me to restart almost last, since I was squeezed on the wall o_O

I've got 10 laps of fun climbing back the rankings, with some nice fights, but afterwards I've got a 'Pitstop occupied', which forced me to pit twice. Then during the storm the setup was completely weird on the rain, absolutely not matching the behavior I had when I trained with that setup, so I struggled all the end of the race.

When it's not your evening, it's not..

I still had some fun watching @stolnikas (?) passing me probably 10 times, then exiting the next corner :D

Last edited:

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
An unfortunate contact and squeezed on the wall? You tried to make a ridiculous move on someone, pushed them wide and then come back across the track so I had no chance of missing you, damaging the front of the car, the guy behind me rammed the back of my car and rammed me back into you and you didn't even have the courtesy to apologise for ruining my race. I apologised at the time, but I don't know why because I was not a fault.

Why do people try and win the race on the first lap?

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I hadn't had any practise prior to the race. Qualified P20 as I couldn't set a proper lap. Started at the back of the field and managed my way through the field. Went up to P3 and wanted to bring the car home with just 1 pitstop. But as the car was getting more and more understeer I decided to do a second pitstop in L25. That was a good decision as I was able to gain 2 places to return in P6. As I had a reasonable pace, I could bring the Rapa Oil #5 home in P6. Seriously seriously seriously happy with this result. My season was already going down the drain, so I desperately needed a good result. I love rain races :D

Btw, this is my recording:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What a race again. Qualified P2, slept at the start and fell back to P3 but could regain the position on @Col_McCoy down the back straight, then had a spin on lap 2 putting me back down to P4 behind @ProjectPD. Who then had a small off track a lap later so I was back up behind McCoy. Very unfortunate for @SBart_uk who had to retire. Did your engine blow up?

Then it was a great battle with the Colonel until the pitstop for rain tires, I lost a bit of ground there but my tire pressures where just right and I could sneak past when McCoy started to struggle. Very sportsmanlike to wait when we made contact! Guess you lost it on exit? From there it was a game of nursing the tires home. @Feanor behind me did the same so I didn't really want to risk another stop. Funny moments with @Cluck and @MelBonkers being quicker than me in the closing stages of the races cause you pitted for a fresh set of tires. Was a sensible decision to let you guys pass and do your thing!

And sorry for calling the switch for P2/P3 team tactics :shy: I didn't realize PD had gone up so far again after his second spin, awesome recovery drive there!

First time I recorded a race in the rift :)

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not a great race on my part. Quali went below par for me but, the pace of the top 4 was above what I could have done so I was happy to take P5. Off the line it was OK, a clean few corners and all was going well until I lost all downforce in the fast (5th gear) right-hander at the end of the back straight. I was totally unprepared for that and went sailing off into the barriers. The damage was too great to carry on so, with only a few laps done, I thought I'd pit. Pulled out of the pits dead last.

Just a few laps later, the rain started to fall! I stayed out for 3 laps but that was one too many, all grip was gone and I spun on entry to the pits. Head first into a barrier!

Wet tyres on, settle down, set your mind on the task ahead.

Oh come on, I'm barely half-way round a lap and all four tyres are redder than the face of a high blood pressure, whiskey-loving Scotsman. Yet I was gaining on Batternberg and Patator at quite a pace. And so it continued, reeling drivers in, with lots of cars pitting for new tyres and damage repairs, I found myself in 3rd place and catching Feanor rapidly. Which would have been nice had my tyres not decided to act like steel bands instead of rubber. No choice for it but to pit, pulling out in 11th place. Again, a nice steady pace saw me climb up to 7th, with just a one second gap to Mo in 6th when we crossed the line. One more lap and 6th could so easily have been mine.

A hard race but that thunderstorm made it so much more interesting. I'm sure we would have preffered, as drivers, to have had a nice dry race but, you have to admit, it really spiced things up!

Congrats to Puffy on the win. Bring on Spa and the finale to Season 2. I can barely believe it's almost over :eek:

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
So sorry I was a no-show for this one! I had every intention to race (even setting five alarms) but when 4am rolled around my body just didn't wake up. I ended up sleeping almost eleven hours, probably due to staying up for the red flagged F1 race then having a 5:30am start for a ten hour work day after. Sorry again to @Battenberg, I'll be sure to be at Spa!

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sorry guys that I had to leave so soon! I have been working 3 days in a row at very early hours, so needed to go into bed as quickly as possible. Also being a bit gutted by the race development, did not help the matter ;-).

Qualy P3, race P5, not that bad in TS wx you would normally say, but it doesn't feel that way.
Qualy the pole would have been in there. @SBart_uk the reason you blew up the engine, is the exact reason why I always do my qualy on race setup. Only had 15 secs left to prepare myself for the race and try to change a thing or two for the thunderstorms.

Race start was good, took @Puffpirat. Unfortunately needed to avoid contact going on to the backstraight with SBart, so Puffpirat was able to pass again. I don't even think you used the overpass there.

With increasing laps, car started too feel better and better. Was able to get P2, due to contact between the drivers in front and got P1 as a gift due to SBarts engine blown. From there on it was pretty easy to stay infront and increase the gap to P3. Driving safe and fast enough not to be overtaken by Puff and not risking it too much.
When Puff went into the pit, it felt too early for me, and to cover him off I stayed a lap out, which was the correct decision. Still putted a faster lap than I tested with rain tyres on a dry track, so came out 3 secs in front.

Now I did some testing with rain and all, so I had good tyres for both light or moderate rain. The first laps my tyres were very good, but I forgot one mayor thing: decreasing track temp with thunderstorms. At some point, my tyres went out of the window and it was al over. Back came around so very shortly on hairpin exit with @Puffpirat next to me, hitted him on the side and both spinned taking out @2scoops in the process. Sorry for that, no intention ofcourse. Needed to wait for Puff to regain his P1 and we lost so much time there. Now with the gap to behind us closed down and my tyres out of any window, I was just gliding around and trying to keep it clean. In the end safely P5, but just very bad feeling, as if I would have just trained for the lower track temps during a TS, this would have been a podium, if not the highest :-(

EDIT: @stolnikas no worries mate! I had less grip and therefore needed to brake earlier to reduce speed and tyre wear on the front. Such things happen and as I said on TeamSpeak I had no damage. Funny thing though, when I rewatched the moment on your video, there was somebody else using foul language exactly after you hit me.... so that was absolutely not me and I was also not pissed or anything of sorts ;-).

Full race video:

Last edited:

stolnikas

Community Member
Reaction score
@PatatorJohn that was such a shame for me! I couldn't believe that i was doing it over and over again.. :D
As of race, i had ~2hour of practice in medium cloud and zero in rain.. Well but i somehow managed to pick right tire pressures for rain and had quite a good grip. It's a shame, that i was pushing too hard which punished me a lot. But overall it was fun and sweaty evening :D

@FlyingKman @Battenberg that 3-wide was crazy :D

@Col_McCoy once again sorry for the contact, totally my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread