Split 1 - R5: Brands Hatch - 26th Jun 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Once again, sub par for me.
During the practice session before the race everything was fine. But I could find my pace in the qualifying at all in the first attempt and during my second attempt it started drizzling. So I started from P19 I think.

Race start - a huge mashup of spins and accidents in front of me which put me in P11 pretty soon and I was kinda happy. Until it started to rain. My first stop wasn't a problem at all, even though I had to stay out a lap longer than intended due to occupied pits.
I tried to find my place, was sometimes in P9, then back to P11 and vice versa.
Ultimately, I tried to make a 1-stopper, which wouldn't work out in the end due to my front tires being shredded from a spin or two. I just realized it way too late that I would have to pit once again. When I came out of the pits, I found myself chasing @rillo7105 gaining nearly a second per lap, but it wasn't enough - the race was three or four laps too short.
If I would have pitted earlier, the result might have been better because I lost way too much time fighting with my worn tires and horrible understeer instead of fighting my opponents.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I had a messy race. Qualifying was really good, very happy with P6. I may have gotten a bit closer to Cluck if I hadn't damaged my suspension on my last out lap, and If I hadn't gotten spooked by the rain drops in the last few minutes of the session.

On the first lap I got chewed up and spat out of the exit curb at Graham Hill Bend. In all of practice I was taking the same line and it never happened, it just spun me out without any warning. I waited for the field to go past and rejoined at the back. I had a fun few laps battling my way back up the order, but kept losing ground after some flustered mistakes. At this point I was hoping to get back into the top 10.

The rain came earlier than expected, and I thought a set of wets couldn't reach the end from here without dying, so I pitted straight away. I managed to make up some ground as others were struggling with their slicks. After a few laps I ruined my tyres in T1, when a move to the inside of @Laiders instantly changed to being in the middle with a car leaving pits at exactly the wrong time! I tried to call it out to the car leaving pits, but in the heat of the moment I could only get out some slurred mumbled panic on TS. I locked up and half spun all the way down and into the gravel. From then on I was nursing the tyres, and trying (and failing) to keep the car straight. Pitting for fresh wets towards the end helped me consolidate P8. A pretty good recovery, but It could have been more. Oh well.

So sorry I was a no-show for this one! ...I'll be sure to be at Spa!

Pole, Fastest Lap, Win, and take out the rest of the field please. No worries mate!

Sneaky! I had no idea you were on the inside, I only thought I was fighting @FlyingKman there. Crew chief kept that one quiet. If I knew I would have backed out of it, 3 wide is too risky for me there. Until now I thought I turned in on Kman, although I left plenty of room on the inside. Good move regardless!

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
After a few laps I ruined my tyres in T1, when a move to the inside of @Laiders instantly changed to being in the middle with a car leaving pits at exactly the wrong time! I tried to call it out to the car leaving pits, but in the heat of the moment I could only get out some slurred mumbled panic on TS. I locked up and half spun all the way down and into the gravel. From then on I was nursing the tyres, and trying (and failing) to keep the car straight. Pitting for fresh wets towards the end helped me consolidate P8. A pretty good recovery, but It could have been more. Oh well.

That was me - sorry mate. You were coming in faster than I expected and I tried to stick to the right side as far as I could and slowed down despite loosing positions to you lot, but seemingly it wasn't enough.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Awesome broadcast by @Hobbnob and @Yorkie_065. Thank you guys, you were once again amazing! :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I had a quite interesting race. Started P9 (seems like qualy is not my strength with the Caterham) and had a crazy start. I jumped @Feanor at the first coner. Second and third corner I lost the position again to him. Fourth corner we had a crazy side by side moment and I could take P8 again. A 3-wide situation with @Feanor and @Blue Monkey gave me almost a heartattack!

(That is no spot for overtaking Monsieur Monkey. Crazy lord xDD)

By the end of the lap @Feanor managed to overtook me again, really good battle!

A spin at lap 4 increased my gap to @Feanor to about 8 seconds. For the next couple laps I tried to minimize the gap which I could achieve, slow but steady. When the rain kicked in I stayed out 1 lap longer and took another 2-3 seconds off @Feanor. Oveeeerrrcuuuuut :D

I know, I know, Feanor Feanor Feanor :D But he was clearly my enemey yesterday ;)

In the thunderstorm I managed to get P2 after the others in front of me were spinning. Car felt good, my pace was good! Lap 22 - @Col_McCoy and @ProjectPD decided to go in to take an additional set of tires. I had to react and pitted the next lap aswell. I increased the pressures on the rear by 0.1 because I had overheating rear tires in my first rain stint. I guess that was a fault because after the pitstop my laptimes were dropping roughly 1.5-2.0 seconds. Back to P3.

Last 3-4 laps and @ProjectPD came too fast too close and I had to let him through. @Feanor was on a 1-stop strategy so he lost quite some pace and the gap was around 1.4seconds when we crossed the checkered flag. One more lap... Shouldn't be... In the end P4 which is really good after starting at P9 :)

Feanor

Community Member
Reaction score
Ouch, just watched t0daY's recording and noticed I might have been a bit too much BTCC during lap 1.:eek:
Aparently bumped @rillo7105 wide in turn 3. :oops: Didn't even notice the contact during the race...
May have also touched @t0daY into turn 6, enabling me to pass. (So hard to tell in PCars...)
I hope I didn't mess up your races too much. Epecially in your case @rillo7105 seeing that you lost quite a few positions.
I'd like to appologize for my missbehavior. :sorry: I'll try to leave more room next time.

Apart from that, its been a fantastic yet stressfull race.
Had decent pace in the dry, benefiting from the many mistakes and issues the frontrunners had, going all the way to P3.
Then the rain hit and I jumped to pits at the end of lap 9, a lap early but I was really paranoid not to get caught out on a fully wet track with slicks still on.
And from there it was nursing my :nurse:tires:nurse: for 25 laps to the end of the race.
In lap 17 I spun in turn 6 after going wide over the curb. :banghead: I thought I had it saved coming back on track :happy: but then lost it on the bump while still having an unstable car and too much throttle aplied.:facepalm::arghh:
That gave me 15% aero damage. :eggface: But I decided I didn't need the topspeed in these conditions and continued without a pitstop in P5. Maybe the damage even helped me as it shifted the balance towards untersteering. :blackeye:
Everybody around me decided to pit a second time leaving me in P2 still managing my :nurse::nurse:tires:nurse::nurse:.
The last 10 laps I was watching the guys behind me close in on me with huge steps while trying to avoid throttle and breaks as much as possible to not spin or lock up my front. And when ProjectPD caught me with 2 laps to go there was nothing left to defend with. :nurse::dead::nurse:
I decided to let him go and instead focus my attention on squeezing out the best final lap I could in an attempt to keep t0daY behind me using all my remaining 7 shots of KERS in the process. It worked...:nailbiting: barely!

Being P3 on the podium was more than I could have ever hoped for.:D Wasn't quite the clean race I always try to achieve but I think I did a decent job utilizing the problems all the toprunners had.:p
Had a lot of fun and can't wait to finish off the season with an exiting race at Spa!

PS.: @Puffpirat don't worry about calling it team tactics. :)
A no.2 driver loosing 15+ seconds in the closing stages of a race and only his teammate gets by... :rolleyes: yeah, from every viewpoint except from the inside of my car :nailbiting: this looked like team tactics, but my front left was clinicly dead at the time:dead:

rillo7105

Community Member
Reaction score
That was great fun! The random weather slot spiced things up! Thunderstorm at this track is really demanding.. i don't think there was anyone who didn't make a mistake, spinning or something else

I made a decent Q and ended up P7 thanx to my team mates @SBart_uk setup!

The start: I got @Feanor on the outside and @today on the inside of turn 2 and exiting the turn i got little bit "Gluing" with @t0daY which let @Feanor right beside me to turn 3. I really could not back off entering the turn without causing rumble behind me so with no room on the outside i had to go wide in to the grass losing a couple of places.

Lost some places at the start but knowing it doesn't matter that much in the end because of the distance and the stormy conditions so i just settled down and tried to avoid more trouble.

Ended up in 7th after a few laps when things settled which was ok. I was changing positions with @MelBonkers when the rain started. He tried an undercut when the rain started but I managed to stay in front after the first pit stop. Lost a position running wide at one point when it was pouring down.

It was quite difficult to find a good rhythm in the rain but with 13 laps to go i was in 4th place and things were under control.. i thought.. ran wide at turn 5 and with the high speed pirouette i hit the wall on the left side with a lot of damage as a result.
I ran a couple of laps trying not to make an extra pit stop but the damaged suspension made it almost impossible to control the car in the heavy rain conditions so i decided to pit for the second time. Rejoining in 13th and ending up in 11th place.

I had great fun and see you next week for the season finale!

rillo7105

Community Member
Reaction score
Ouch, just watched t0daY's recording and noticed I might have been a bit too much BTCC during lap 1.:eek:
Aparently bumped @rillo7105 wide in turn 3. :oops: Didn't even notice the contact during the race...
May have also touched @t0daY into turn 6, enabling me to pass. (So hard to tell in PCars...)
I hope I didn't mess up your races too much. Epecially in your case @rillo7105 seeing that you lost quite a few positions.
I'd like to appologize for my missbehavior. :sorry: I'll try to leave more room next time.

Apoligy accepted. It was quite optimistic of you to take the inside to that turn knowing it is a long race and the conditions would change to "almost undrivable" later on..

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread