Split 1 - R3: Zolder - 5th Jun 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rillo7105

Community Member
Reaction score
Someone stole my team mates car/livery and the pit box was occupied when i pitted. Wrong race conditions for not changing the tires. See you next week

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The miracle happened, my boy didn't fall asleep in time but was completely quiet and calm during the race. I was so grateful of him :oops: this one is for you little puffy :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The miracle happened, my boy didn't fall asleep in time but was completely quiet and calm during the race. I was so grateful of him :oops: this one is for you little puffy :)

#undeserved

(Sorry Puffi, I am salty for tonight. No one can change that! xD)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
That didn't really go to plan :(.

Qualified 3rd, a little off the pace I could do but with 24 people on a tight track, finding clear air for a complete, uninterrupted lap, was never going to be easy. Happy to be P3 though.

The race started and @t0daY set off with a blinding pace, with @Col_McCoy in hot pursuit, with me trying to fend @2scoops off my back. For 12 laps, this is how it was. The Colonel and myself traded places once, 2scoops hounded me then fell back. Then, on lap 12, t0daY got a disco from the server :( . In the aftermath of that, I hit my brakes to avoid the disco' car and span off the track. 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th went past. then down to 9th, 10th, 11th. This isn't happening. I finally managed to rejoin in 14th, with my rears hotter than the heart of the sun. Time to pit.

By the time the round of pit stops had ended, I was in 5th, chasing down @Battenberg . All the while, Battenberg was closing in on @ProjectPD . I got past the cake and went to make a move on the Project but was caught out by his slower pace through T1, making contact. He was able to keep his position but the cake was no longer a lie, the cake was now on my ass again. Then, into the chicane, I was caught out again by PD's pace and lost it on the exit of the chicane, having had to take a different line to usual. As I saw them drive off into the distance, all hopes of a podium seemed to evaporate. I picked myself up, got back on track, now with @PatatorJohn closing the gap at a rapid pace of knots. We came together (ooh err) on the entry to the 2nd chicane - I suspect Patator hadn't realised I was up to race speed again and went for the move - and let me maintain position (my mic was off, so my apologies again fella, I was trying to say at the time "not sure who's fault it was, it's all good, go go go").

Off I set. I realised I was catching up with ProjectPD again at a rapid pace. We went into the final chicane, side-by-side and I guess either my car moved slightly to the right or he moved slightly to the left, I don't know, all I know is that it resulted in the PD missing the chicane braking point. The air was cleared at the time (and after the race) and I set about chasing the cake. 3rd place now seemed irresistibly close.

Lap 32. 0.8s to P3. Could it be?

No.

Across the line in P4, just a couple of tenths behind the fastest cake in the UK.

That race was hard work. Hard work but strangely quite satisfying and enjoyable. It's a real pity that t0daY got disconnected, it would have been an amazing 3-way fight, with Ramiboo also starting to appear on the scene behind us, potentially making it a 4-way battle. But, alas, as is so often the case with these things, it was not to be. Another night, another server, who knows.

Onwards to Bathurst :)

Last edited:

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
... I picked myself up, got back on track, now with @PatatorJohn closing the gap at a rapid pace of knots. We came together (ooh err) on the entry to the 2nd chicane - I suspect Patator hadn't realised I was up to race speed again and went for the move - and let me maintain position (my mic was off, so my apologies again fella, I was trying to say at the time "not sure who's fault it was, it's all good, go go go").
Well, since you were rejoining, I was unsure you had problems with your car or not. I went for the overtake and we had contact. In doubt on what happened and without hearing anything, I gave the position back. Afterwards I started to struggle with the grip, so I didn't had another opening.

In any case, p17 to p5, plus I had fun, I'm happy with the outcome :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Official broadcast is live! :)

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Let's call this one an important lesson learned for the future!

Did not have much time to train for this one extensively, so when I did I just made sure the car was fast and stable during light rain and I tested about 8 laps or so with normal rain, which looked pretty stable..... ohh boy could have been any further from the truth!

Start went great and I was surprised that the visibility was so good. @t0daY was fast and steady... closed up the gap below a second after a few laps, after throwing it away again and having to battle @Cluck, which was a lot of fun and I think we didn't even loose so much time doing so. Very unfortunate to see Manu disconnect ahead of me, which gave me I think my first 'steady' lead in my RSR history.

Car felt stable, I know from tyre wear I could easily do half distance, I just did not have a good look at the tyre temps.. which were decreasing and decreasing... untill out of the sudden my right rear spun up out of the chicane and spun me around. Creeping up the hill took me about 30 seconds, cause with no speed, there was no grip and I spun again (like @Cluck, we must feel so clumsy!).

First I thought the curb of the chicane spun me out, but when I went for new tyres, everything became clear to me. My tyre pressure (temps) were way to low.. couldn't get them steady above even 90 degrees and I was sliding all over the place. Rewatching my video, I found out that the chicane spun, was not because of the curb.. just shear grip/temp. So let's hope I learned from this and do my homework a bit better next race!

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Col_McCoy I was sooo close to collecting you when you were spinning on lap 15! If I was another second behind, I wouldnt have seen you over the blind crest. We both got a bit lucky there! Rejoining looked like a nightmare with those tyres, so helpless with 0 grip.

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Battenberg, I never suspected it to be so difficult to get up that hill... I looked at the track picture and thought, well I can still go to the side and be overtaken if you guys were faster.. so I never shouted out that there was a spin... than the car was so much to handle and I spun that you guys shouted it out for me ;-) (thx for that)

Reactions: Tom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread