Rig advise (1 Viewer)

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Hullo again to another round of what to buy and what not.

As I am expecting a tax refund in the next couple of weeks, I am finally looking at the next upgrade: A proper racing cockpit. even the missus said, it would be better to buy something nice looking, instead of doing the rough woodwork solution on my own, so I have a max. of 500€ to spend :D

My initial research lead me to GT Omega Pro frame with the XL seat (I like it comfy :cool:), and of course Playseat (although I don't like the pillar between the legs).

Can you guys recommend something in the given budget? Optional upgrades for flight-sims at a later point would also be nice.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm planning on a rig as well and I wanna go with 80/20 alu profiles. Seen so many selfmade rigs and basically everyone who has one says it's not a big deal to build it yourself plus you have endless ways of customizations.

I want to rebuild the SimLab P1 (or P1-X now) almost the exact same way. There are some parts which you can't buy somewhere else, but you can bypass some solutions with 80/20 material. The only thing you would need to buy from them is the mounting bracket (depending on what wheel you have). And a seat of course (which you can buy everywhere). I expect the costs of the 80/20 material to not be more than 200 € really, if you find a cheap supplier. But it also requires some planning and building time of course.

Design-wise you could argue that it's not as good looking as a Playseat F1 rig for example. I have the same discussion with my missus at the moment and she's not very excited from alu profiles. :D But I also stated her very clearly that I refuse to have anything between my legs (Thats her part I guess, woops)

I'm gonna afford a Fanatec DD anytime soon, so the only real option for me is a solid 80/20 rig as I heard lots of people saying a GT Omega rig or others in that price class are not very suited for stronger wheelbases. For all other bases it could be a good choice.

Conact me if you decide to go for a 80/20 rig as well, can help you with the planning and everything. :)

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks @fab. ICEMAN I was also looking into that last year already. Motedis has a pretty good selection of this aluminum stuff. Maybe we can slap a decent rig together ;) I will have to talk with my wife, if she would be OK with the more rough look of such a rig, as my cave is also her home office.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
So I played around a little with a software called May-CAD.
A simple replica of the Simlabs P1 looks like this:

With 80/40 profiles this will roughly be around 270€. 80/20 will of course be a cheaper, but I fear it's not sturdy enough.

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Don't go 80/20... I don't know why the term 80/20 manifested on the internet, because all rigs are 40-based.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
@Yammie916 i have found that too. It's also 260€ plus shipping, so pricewise quite similar to what I have slapped together there. :) I have lots of time left until I can actually spend the money, so keep it coming guys.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The term 80/20 has nothing to do with the profiles itself, it comes from the Pareto Principle.

I would suggest you to choose 40x160L profiles as bases and maybe 40x120L as your uprights. Should make it a lot sturdier.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks @fab. ICEMAN for the suggestions. Unfortunately only the lower frame made of 40/160 profiles will be around 300€ o_O

However, I have contacted an anodizing company I closely work with, and asked them if they have a cheaper source for this stuff. On top, I might get it in black finish for a small tip. Fingers crossed.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thanks @fab. ICEMAN for the suggestions. Unfortunately only the lower frame made of 40/160 profiles will be around 300€ o_O

However, I have contacted an anodizing company I closely work with, and asked them if they have a cheaper source for this stuff. On top, I might get it in black finish for a small tip. Fingers crossed.
Personally dont go for the black one. Every little scratch a piece of your soul will burn :D

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Personally dont go for the black one. Every little scratch a piece of your soul will burn :D
:p Yes and no, Anodized aluminum is pretty scratch resistant, but once you have a scratch, it's *blingbling* - in your face!
However, some patina from excessive use is nice, isn't it? At least we tell that to our customers.

The company is also doing powdercaoting, maybe that's an option too, although I have no clue if the function of the I-notches would be disturbed.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
powder coating is a thicker coating than Anodizing. I've had wheel spacers that after anodizing didn't fit anymore..

so since I'm now looking for a new rig too, I compared the seating position of "real" rigs with that of my Campingseat Challenge and noticed a huge difference.

So I've loosened the front of the seat to lower it and put a VDU riser under my pedals to raise them by 2 1/2 inches. Instant 1/2 second quicker on all 3 car track combos I've been practicing on recently.... so only another 4 1/2 seconds to find......

Last edited:

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I believe the Simitek cockpit https://simetik.com/web/product/k2-cockpit/ is supposed to be quite robust too. Gamer Muscle did a full review of it on youtube. It was definitely less than the P1.

I love my P1, it's unmovable, and for me I made the right call in getting a package provided where I couldn't make a mistake in my order. However, if you are more prepared than I am for being blocked because you ran out of a certain bolt or whatever, then doing it yourself is not actually too hard I think.It really is lego for adults.

Mazy CZ

Community Member
Reaction score
Anyone had their hands on Next Level Racing rigs? Specificly this one?
https://www.nextlevelracing.com/next-level-racing-gttrack/

According to the reviews, it is sturdy and can take Direct Drive wheels aswell (it doesn't look like on the pictures but that is what the reviewer wrote).
I haven't watched the videos yet though.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Ok guys,
I got the pricing of the profiles.

ISP8-L40 – 11,50 € per meter
ISP8-L81 – 20,50 € per meter
ISP8-L121 – 26,00 € per meter
ISP8-L161 – 33,50 € per meter

All prices plus VAT. So the only one that's significantly cheaper than Motedis, is the 160/40.
40/40 and 80/40 are actually more expensive. :confused:

The culprit is, I'd had to buy 6m per profile type, which would be a) very expensive and b) a lot more material than I need.

Cutting and black anodizing would cost a crate of beer, so nothing to talk about.

If anyone is interested (obviously only valid for our German members, due to shipping or pickup from my home), let me know in the next couple of days. Otherwise I'd call it...

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
160x40 is absurd mate. You don't need that. Even as a Support for an Engine-Bay that would be too much for a heavy Diesel. 80x40 and 40x40 is all you ever need.
That engine below is easy three times as heavy as you are and puts out 150-200 Nm on the dyno. Another engine we have in an 80x80 Rig puts out 300 Nm. You can do 25 Nm at max. An that engine is fixed with 80x80 Profils on the engine-table.

Last edited:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Thx @miagi that'll save me a lot of money!

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
the Motedis S Dream (Simlab GT1 equiv) is now £290 + 35 shipping to UK, for an extra £50 I could get the Simlab GT1 Evo from the UK...so I think I'm gonna go ahead and do that..(the voices in my head are still trying to convince me to do it..)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread