Revolution Cup - Season 5 - Question Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
There is a preseason test at RBR on the 12th if I'm not mistaken. Seeing as I haven't taken part in a Revolution Cup, how does the test work? Will there be a short race as well? (must admit I got really excited when I saw Red bull ring, so simple and enjoyable.)

kaleeb42

Community Member
Reaction score
If we do a lot more laps on the time trial tracks (I haven't yet because I'm lazy), should we update our times in the time trial thread?

I only did 15-20 laps on each so I think I can improve my times a bit.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I really love this cars but i just find a nuisance the DRS. There is no secret to DRS and having to press an extra button to activate on any straight and remember to press again to disable on flat out corners it's just an irritation. There is no strategy as everyone needs to use it all the time to be competitive.
I don't know...i was more for straight up BAN DRS but fair enough i totally understand that it is difficult to enforce any policy as it's darn difficult to police it.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The chief reason DRS cannot be monitored is that it ONLY shows the animation on the driver's car. We tested this, to see if it was possible to watch other drivers using it but the animation does not show on other cars (to be fair it is a bit of a waste of resources but, in this instance, would have been nice to see). That it is such a subtle change to the wing only makes it that much harder to spot anyway.

It's going to be a simple "use it as much as you like" rule for all qualifying and race sessions. Simple fact is, you need to map a button for it and you need to learn to use it :)

There is a preseason test at RBR on the 12th if I'm not mistaken. Seeing as I haven't taken part in a Revolution Cup, how does the test work? Will there be a short race as well? (must admit I got really excited when I saw Red bull ring, so simple and enjoyable.)
The preseason test will, involve a race, yes :)

If we do a lot more laps on the time trial tracks (I haven't yet because I'm lazy), should we update our times in the time trial thread?

If you do, then please post it as a new post. Do NOT edit your existing post or your times will not be updated.

As a note to everybody for the future, please don't be in a rush to post your times, there are absolutely no prizes for being quick to post a time! Once you are certain that you have given it everything you have got, then post the times you achieved. I'm going to be honest and say that it both reduces our workload and avoids the potential for recording the wrong time for you, by not having to go through the thread multiple times looking for new times :)

Last edited:

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score

I did this last season...no one told me off ;) I spent an evening on each one for mine, everyone is different on time to learn a track, but I guess the fairer the representation the better right?

EDIT: Sorry just saw @Cluck 's post. Whatever the chicken says is probably right :)

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
The chief reason DRS cannot be monitored is that it ONLY shows the animation on the driver's car. We tested this, to see if it was possible to watch other drivers using it but the animation does not show on other cars (to be fair it is a bit of a waste of resources but, in this instance, would have been nice to see). That it is such a subtle change to the wing only makes it that much harder to spot anyway.
Yeah - I checked the API for Shared Memory and UDP as well as the Dedicated Server guides and it does not seem to be exposed in any of them, so no programmatic help from me sorry..

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is, we would NOT have spent the many many hours going through the data or replays looking to see if somebody mis-used it :). The car has it, it is up to you all to use it if you want to, as little or as much as you like and all I will say is that you will be at a disadvantage if you don't learn to use it. We are not going to do anything to enforce the way it is used and, as a certain Mr Gump would put it, that's all I have to say about that. Your chicken overlord has spoken.

Reactions: Tom

Henri

Community Member
Reaction score
I'll be there at the pre-season race on the 12th, but I am afraid I'll miss the first race on the 16th - gotta go to Taiwan for work, sorry.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Why don't we have a gentleman's agreement and not use it at all as we can't use it as it was intended.

If they have these things in game there should be a way of having a detection zone so that it can be used properly.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Why don't we have a gentleman's agreement and not use it at all as we can't use it as it was intended.

If they have these things in game there should be a way of having a detection zone so that it can be used properly.

But it DOES work as intended. For the FR3.5 at least. Because in the real FR3.5 series, the drivers can use the DRS whenever they want and it is only limited to a total time of 500 seconds per race.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If you can tell us how to police that properly I am happy to do that :)
I did a test run today and was looking through the replay feature.

I lowered the camera there to get a better view on the rear wing. My mouse shows the little flap that is about to be closed when DRS is activated, and at the end of the straight you see that it opens up again. I don't know why DRS actually closes that little gap, I thought it should be the other way round though. But nevertheless, that seems like a viable way of monitoring the DRS. The times on the left indicate the gap to the car ahead.

We would have to test that out in a full lobby of course, but doesn't it seem good? :)

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Pretty certain cluck said get used to it.....you can't expect admins to moderate on this level. No one is going through all the footage and its to easy to abuse, even accidentally.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If a day had 48 hours, if I had the motivation to go through 2 splits with 2 races each per week and check every lap every car if it used illegaly DRS or not then I would do it.

Let's not forget if I had no Job or I would earn enough money through RSR to make it my daily Job. Or if I would win the lottery I would do it probably.

Sadly too many if's...

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I raced against bots but I could see them opening/closing DRS as well.
As cluck already stated, we tested this in multiplayer sessions and could not see when other cars were using it, Because of this it will remain free to use and it will be your responsibility not to leave it open through corners.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I don't want to come across as unfriendly but the DRS discussion is over, as far as how and when it can be used. I am going to repeat this again:

You are free to use DRS as little or as much as you like, throughout both the qualifying and race sessions, for each and every race in the season. Make sure you have a button mapped and get used to driving with it and without it.

To answer a small question from fab.iceman, regarding the DRS. The mechanism is different to the traditional one in that the flap closes to 'stall' the air over the wing. I don't understand the technicalities beyond that but it is indeed correct that, unlike F1 cars, it closes a gap rather than opens one :)

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I don't understand the technicalities beyond that but it is indeed correct that, unlike F1 cars, it closes a gap rather than opens one :)
Basically there is a layer of air that is "attached" to the wing or let's say moving along when working normally which creates downforce and a lot of drag. If that layer "stalls" because the angle of attack is too abrubt it produces less friction so lower drag and lower downforce. The wing just doesn't work as intended anymore because the air passing through is messed up. Didn't want to be nerdy but I tought it would be interesting to share :)

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
On a completely different note of Liveries i guess the 26 limit per split is due do the fact that there are indeed 13 teams (with 2 cars) each on the roster.

My immersion OCD will be glad to see 26 different cars through the season.
May i suggest that @Puffpirat takes precedence on choosing should he want #1 (and his teammate car #2) as he is the last season champion of Split 1 and then @Stokemon as Split 2 champions? Should they not want #1 then other drivers would be able to chose it :).

As for me i'm hoping on getting my #11 (i always drive #11 when possible).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread