Revolution Cup - Season 4 - Question Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, up to carnage in T1 this is all fun...:p I get your idea of the challenge behind it, but when you put in +100 laps in practice and go to the race and everything is different and you get thrown out of the corner by attacking it like the 100 times before the fun of this game is gone, at least in my opinion. Also this will probably lead to many incidents/accidents which we did not want to see again after Monza. :oops:

Well part of being a racer is anticipating on different conditions than those you are used to. When I drove in Monza in the slipstream I braked almost 50m earlier than normal because of the higher top speed (slipstream) and the longer braking zone due to that top speed. Apart from that you lose a lot of DF behind someone which gives you less grip when braking and thus you need to brake earlier. You adapt all the time and it is necessary

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
How did you do your setup then? Restarting the session for every little change? Sounds like pita.
That’s what I actually do, but in offline mode.

I've seen people being super aggressive in the opening laps, yes that's the best time to overtake, but it's also the best time to mess up. I feel it's better to be a little more conservative at the start until you feel comfortable with the grip levels.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
i dont like rain driving but thats just a personal preference. other than that, i think this cars could use some intermediates for the last 20m as the rear tyres will overheat and lose a lot of grip.other than that, i needed to have my car a bit more understeery for my taste on the first half of the race as a compromise for the 2nd half. on the 2nd half my car gets a lot snappy.specially at beckets before the backstraight, the car suddendly bites after the last right hander on the dry track and is thrown all over the place.extra care on wheel input should be taken at that point od the race imo.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Another remark from my side, as I just cannot get over it right now:
Vastly varying track conditions between different sessions with same settings.
With the Silverstone race having a dry qualy and a wet race, setting up/fine tuning the car is a must, but this gets rendered useless by the fact, that the track conditions between "Free Practice" and "Race", although being set to identical conditions (start time, weather slots etc.), differ alot!
For example:
  1. The track is more slippery in general in "Race"
  2. Puddle depths vary, so in one session you can blast through, in other sessions you are thrown around instantly.
  3. Puddle size (this I experienced in an offline session with AI filled grid): The big puddle besides the pit enty lane was reduced by around 50% from one lap to the other.
Has anybody else experienced similar oddities?

I can absolutely confirm that each race is different, particularly in terms of puddle size/layout. The same basic puddles exist, but how far they extend etc varies per race. In summary, as my fencing master would tell you, "You must approach this with open eyes". Sounds obvious, but what it means is favour learning the conditions on the fly, and adapting, rather than assuming your lines before the race.

I'm terrified for anyone who has not practiced in these conditions yet. That feels very...risky to me.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
One word of advice: Stay away from the inside of turn 6 (Brooklands). There will be a big puddle which will certainly kill you.
At least in the races I did so far, this was the only real "no-go area" on the track. Most other big puddles are on straight parts and can be crossed somewhat safely as long as you don't plant your pedal to the metal.

Last edited:

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Everytime it rains at Silverstone the puddles look always the same in RL? That would be too easy ;)

The starting seed in the game is the same but it evolves differently as in RL. There are many variables which can affect that like how many cars are out, how is the wind and so on.

You have to deal with it. It's not the answer u want to hear but it is how it is.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
also watch for the puddle on the left of Becketts, it doesn't look like much, but it WILL get you.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
You have to deal with it. It's not the answer u want to hear but it is how it is.
I was not seeking for a specific answer (something like "OK we will skip the rain"), and of course we will deal with it, I was just reaching out to hear what the community thinks about this non-issue. Survival mode it'll be then (read "Put brick under the gaspedal")

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I was not seeking for a specific answer (something like "OK we will skip the rain"), and of course we will deal with it, I was just reaching out to hear what the community thinks about this non-issue. Survival mode it'll be then (read "Put brick under the gaspedal")

You call it an issue, I call it realism :p

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
My graphics do show a lot of reflection on the track when a puddle is incoming. Besides that, you can test and practice various possible track states.

There is a few methods to test certain possibilities. As I did these methods:
- Practice, first setup session in a full rain practice
- Several rain practice sessions (with AI to speed up the session and force puddles to form)
- Some heavy rain practice sessions on my own
- Practice in overcast to fine tune the setup between Rain and Overcast and set up pitstop

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
This is one of the most beautiful aspects of pCARS2, when you stop and think about it (and as others have already mentioned). Real life is not a fixed set of parameters. You don't approach real life with a "input x, get y output", it's an organic process, constantly changing, constantly requiring adjustments based on all-round experience.

Sims, for far too long, have had this boring, rigid, static "do this, expect that" approach. One only has to learn how that sim does it, and put enough practice in to that method to become very good. That approach has to die off, we need to demand this organic style from all of our sims, expect to be challenged and, most of all, expect to have to learn how to drive, rather than how to game.

This is absolutely, in no way, "having a go" at Shepard or anybody else here. It's just something that I know a lot of people overlook and it's almost criminal that many corners of the sim world still view pCARS2 as some sort of arcade nonsense :(.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that those who sit on the bonnet or roof (or worse, fly behind the car) while driving will have a distinct advantage over those who use cockpit view and actually have to look through the rain....

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that those who sit on the bonnet or roof (or worse, fly behind the car) while driving will have a distinct advantage over those who use cockpit view and actually have to look through the rain....
and don't use the fast wiper mode, as it will draw more rain drops on the windshield.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance that at least one race of Split 2 gets streamed and commentated? I'd really love to see "our" action with pro-commentary of "The 2 Germans".

(I know one is Australian Austrian, just teasing ;))

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Is there any chance that at least one race of Split 2 gets streamed and commentated? I'd really love to see "our" action with pro-commentary of "The 2 Germans".

(I know one is Australian Austrian, just teasing ;))
Split 2 doesn't normally get broadcast, Split 1 will continue to have the live broadcast but unless someone is willing to commentate then the only streams will be from drivers.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I streamed Silverstone (not commentated), now that my setup has been improved to support it. I'm not sure if any others are streaming from split 2. I hope to continue to stream my races. If I wasn't racing I'd be very tempted to give commentary a go. It seems like a fun idea, though I doubt I'd be much good.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
you never know!

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I choose to play the game in the most realistic way possible. VR, In cockpit, with wheel, using an H-shifter if the car has one, or sequential stick (once I get it working). This is my choice and I accept that others will choose to play differently. There are probably pros/cons of each when I think about it. Sure, visibility and awareness are unrealistically good out of cockpit, but in the car you get far more immersion. I find it better to think about the experience of simulation, the fun for me is pretend-driving of some crazy cars I'll never see in reality.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I choose to play the game in the most realistic way possible. VR, In
cockpit, with wheel, using an H-shifter if the car has one, or sequential stick (once I get it working). This is my choice and I accept that others will choose to play differently. There are probably pros/cons of each when I think about it. Sure, visibility and awareness are unrealistically good out of cockpit, but in the car you get far more immersion. I find it better to think about the experience of simulation, the fun for me is pretend-driving of some crazy cars I'll never see in reality.

This isnt just you, I do exactly the same, I always try and drive with the realism as close as i possibly can.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
This isnt just you, I do exactly the same, I always try and drive with the realism as close as i possibly can.

But even then you can still drive with a map, and relative position list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread