Project CARS 2 R5: Monza Short (2 Viewers)

R5: Monza Short
Posted by Darksi
Project CARS 2
Thursday, August 1, 2019 - 18:30
Until: Thursday, August 1, 2019 - 21:30
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
James...it's James...hold position...please!!!

@Jamesl91 I think this is you dodging a major bullet?

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well that lived up to the hype! Really fun gritty racing last night everyone, often very close or over the limit from some, but others would call that 'robust'. Thanks for the R1 fights @CatchAGlimpse, @Puffpirat, @cpcdem and @FuBii (also for the setup!). And thanks to what was pretty much the rest of the field for the battles in R2, especially @Jamesl91, @Taorminator, @Fe1ixS and @kobusnell. Here's my video & timestamps:

3:56 - Qualy lap. Good for P4. Steve was pleased with the tow!
13:48 - Race 1 start. Lose 1 place to teammate FuBii.
14:57 - Start of slipstream battle number 1!
18:12 - 3 wide with Catch & Paul/Puff (both come together shortly after). Ongoing slipstream fight with Catch follows.
23:00 - CPC joins the party. I fall out of touch 5 mins later. Cruise to the end.

49:45 - Race 2 start. I stupidly didn't add extra fuel before readying up, so I was allowed to pit on the 1st formation lap and start from the back. A cautious 1st lap staying out of trouble.
57:00 - 4 wide into T1, with a lagging car in front for good meaure! My favourite move of the race. Followed by pushing ahead with James in tow.
1:02:58 - Little battle with James, passing Si and Felix after their clash.
1:05:15 - Baiting Felix into a lunge on James, and then getting the cutback on both for myself! My second favourite move of the race. Followed by pushing to catch up to Tao.
1:10:30 - Saw that lunge coming from a mile off.
1:14:45 - Caught up to Tao and Kobus, with Felix in tow. Massive slide and 4 way battle to the end ensues!
1:20:38 - 3 wide into T2, abandon ship! Thank goodness for VR. Another well timed undercut follows, picking my battles well!
1:21:43 - Very nearly a pile up. Somehow all involved survived.
1:24:20 - Final lap. Tao has a big moment, catches me out, but he still benefits from a little speed boost from me onto the home straight. ;)

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Really fun racing at Monza .Had a really good qually which put me in P1 thanks to mr @Battenberg for the great tow (i owe you one) . Had a good start but was soon caught by the others which made for some great battles with @Puffpirat and @CatchAGlimpse, Luckily for me they had a coming together which let me get and maintain a bit of a gap until nearer the end when @CatchAGlimpse closed the gap to nothing but managed to keep ahead for the win. Race two was quite a lonely race apart from the first few laps which were great fun battleing with the top four cars until at 7.05 where @Puffpirat and @CatchAGlimpse made a mistake an run wide into turn one which helped me keep in front.Cant wait for the last race at Bathurst

Last edited:

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Well, a bit of a mess for me this time round. A real shame as I'm reasonably confident I was on the pace required to finish somewhere in the top 5.

Qualifying was a struggle. People outbraking themselves on T1 and either ruining my hotlap by blocking me or driving into me. I did manage to get into the 54s, but was about 2-3 tenths off what I was hoping, particularly with the idea of a tow in mind. Really we should have gone out in 2 sessions there I think.

Race 1
First race started well from 6th, having survived turn 1. Until I messed up. Cars 2-4 were fighting in front going into turn 2/3 and came through slower. I was adjusting my line to leave space for @cpcdem (?), and left space longer than I needed to, got my line wrong and then tapped @Puffpirat's back wheel. I'd swear it was only a tap and I was really surprised when he spun nearly 180. After waiting for him to rejoin and pass me I dropped back down to 18th, so spend the rest of the race climbing back.

EDIT: @Puffpirat I'm very sorry I rather ruined your race there man.

I'm going to be honest here, there were some pretty crazy maneouvres going on. Lot's of out braking on T1, and many people who swerve to block last moment, rather than going defensive in the first place. If I was just as crazy I would have continued on my line and we'd both be off.

By the end of the 20mins I had fought my way back to 6th place, which was where I started on the grid. Not what I think I could have achieved, but 18th to 6th was a good "recovery drive" and lots of passes are always fun. I also have a 53.867 as my fastest lap. I must have drafted at least 3 people around a lap somewhere. It's rather a shame there's no points for fastest lap this season!

1564771656350.png

Race 2
Ok, race 2 sucked. Starting 5th (thanks to @Battenberg 's misfortune) I promised myself not to make the same mistake as race 1. I carefully tucked in behind the top 4 and hoped to brake away from @kobusnell . Sadly the two in front seemed determined to fight from lap 1, meaning I was actually faster than both, but unable to take advantage as they were often 2 wide at the key times.

Then disaster on lap 5. My Game/VR froze for about 5-6 secs. Honestly I don't know if controls were responding or not, but when everything came back I was heading straight for the wall as if I never even tried to take turn 3. The crash took me down to about 18th place, but the bigger problem was the front damage. I was running a fairly "refined" setup for radiator, and experience has taught me that you need to go straight in to avoid fatal engine damage later. Aero repairs quick enough, but engine repair is very slow.

I spend a lot of the remainder of the race in a bubble, which really didn't me to catchup or enjoy myself. Still over the course of the remaining 30 minutes I dragged myself from 23rd to 11th. Again, a fairly satisfying "recovery drive", but pretty certain a podium was my goal originally.

My PoV

Last edited:

cpcdem

Community Member
Reaction score
Then disaster on lap 5. My Game/VR froze for about 5-6 secs. Honestly I don't know if controls were responding or not, but when everything came back I was heading straight for the wall as if I never even tried to take turn 3.

You were just behind me at that moment and I was looking at you on my mirror when that happened, it felt really strange at that moment. Looking it back in the replay from my side, it confirms you had no control just entering the exit corner, you seem to plow to the inner wall and suddenly re appear later close to the outer wall. Very unlucky for you, especially happening in the corner, while a few seconds later it would had been no problem in the long straight.

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for not letting you know I wouldn't make it @t0daY, @Darksi and the other organisers. The journey home from Bournemouth was a horrible 5hr trek hitting the M40/M42/M6 at rush hour was awful planning, and we didn't arrive home until 7pm. This event completely slipped my mind and this is literally the first time I've sat down at the PC since we got back yesterday.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for not letting you know I wouldn't make it @t0daY, @Darksi and the other organisers. The journey home from Bournemouth was a horrible 5hr trek hitting the M40/M42/M6 at rush hour was awful planning, and we didn't arrive home until 7pm. This event completely slipped my mind and this is literally the first time I've sat down at the PC since we got back yesterday.

Please accept my sincere apologies.
Thanks for letting us now :)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
James...it's James...hold position...please!!!

@Jamesl91 I think this is you dodging a major bullet?
i think the bullet hit my tire and casued me to go flying. heres a close up

it was going well until then. started dead last and made it up to 11th after the first 8laps and was setting about catching p10 until that.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Bad luck with the VR freeze @UnstopaPaul, I know that feeling of hopelessness all too well.
Turns out my Super Sampling was at 1.9. Honestly I've no idea why since I don't recall ever trying past 1.5. Hopefully dropping it way back down to 1.3 should give me the needed headroom - assuming it's not some other process interfering

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Turns out my Super Sampling was at 1.9. Honestly I've no idea why since I don't recall ever trying past 1.5. Hopefully dropping it way back down to 1.3 should give me the needed headroom - assuming it's not some other process interfering
One of the causes for me was a mobo update notification, maybe check if you have turned every update reminder off?

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well that lived up to the hype! Really fun gritty racing last night everyone, often very close or over the limit from some, but others would call that 'robust'. Thanks for the R1 fights @CatchAGlimpse, @Puffpirat, @cpcdem and @FuBii (also for the setup!). And thanks to what was pretty much the rest of the field for the battles in R2, especially @Jamesl91, @Taorminator, @Fe1ixS and @kobusnell. Here's my video & timestamps:

3:56 - Qualy lap. Good for P4. Steve was pleased with the tow!
13:48 - Race 1 start. Lose 1 place to teammate FuBii.
14:57 - Start of slipstream battle number 1!
18:12 - 3 wide with Catch & Paul/Puff (both come together shortly after). Ongoing slipstream fight with Catch follows.
23:00 - CPC joins the party. I fall out of touch 5 mins later. Cruise to the end.

49:45 - Race 2 start. I stupidly didn't add extra fuel before readying up, so I was allowed to pit on the 1st formation lap and start from the back. A cautious 1st lap staying out of trouble.
57:00 - 4 wide into T1, with a lagging car in front for good meaure! My favourite move of the race. Followed by pushing ahead with James in tow.
1:02:58 - Little battle with James, passing Si and Felix after their clash.
1:05:15 - Baiting Felix into a lunge on James, and then getting the cutback on both for myself! My second favourite move of the race. Followed by pushing to catch up to Tao.
1:10:30 - Saw that lunge coming from a mile off.
1:14:45 - Caught up to Tao and Kobus, with Felix in tow. Massive slide and 4 way battle to the end ensues!
1:20:38 - 3 wide into T2, abandon ship! Thank goodness for VR. Another well timed undercut follows, picking my battles well!
1:24:20 - Final lap. Tao has a big moment, catches me out, but he still benefits from a little speed boost from me onto the home straight. ;)
Man that 4 way battle was soooo awesome! :D I feel a bit lucky about this one because I clearly wasn't the fastest of you 4 and that last turn boost clearly helped ^^' but I think I defended well and catched the car in those very very hairy moments! Thank you for the fun guys <3

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Man that 4 way battle was soooo awesome! :D I feel a bit lucky about this one because I clearly wasn't the fastest of you 4 and that last turn boost clearly helped ^^' but I think I defended well and catched the car in those very very hairy moments! Thank you for the fun guys <3

That 4-way battle was really entertaining. I had front damage after a previous incident, and after you guys caught and overtook me I thought I'll hang back a bit in the draft and strategize. Seeing you guys battle was really entertaining, especially @Battenberg Tokyo-drifting through Parabolica. I decided to try and cool down my tyres and see what I can manage on the last lap. Didn't go perfectly, but that was really cool.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Results are posted here

Users who are viewing this thread