Project CARS 2 - Patch 1.4.0.0 - Release Notes (1 Viewer)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
There's a small VR-specific patch just out (massive thanks to SMS for pushing this out now, rather than leaving it for Patch 5)

The sharpening feature is controlled by three values in your graphics config XML file (itself found in your Project CARS 2 documents folder, separate files for VR and non-VR, e.g. graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml and graphicsconfigdx11.xml):

Code:
<prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.000000" />
<prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.045000" />
<prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />

... to create these values in the file the first time, either delete your current file and run the game (after you've installed the 4.0.0.3 patch of course), or, if you want to maintain your current settings, run the game and go in and out of the "Performance" graphics menu.

The values are used as follows (apologies for the somewhat technical explanations - the only value most people will want to change probably is the first one, strength):

• Strength (0.0->3.0, default 0.0) - the strength of the sharpening, zero being off. I find a subtle amount like 0.6 to be a good starting point. Too high a value will cause shimmering effects and a generally unnatural look to the image. Note that having sharpening on at all will have a small performance cost, but the size of that hit doesn't vary with the amount of sharpening.
  • Clamp (0.0->1.0, default 0.045) - limits the amount of sharpening at the local pixel level (if you have a large continuity difference between the original pixel and blurred pixel it limits the amount of offset applied).
  • Offset (0.0->6.0, default 1.0) - the offset from the current pixel for the sampling pattern (so if it's 1 it will sample neighbouring pixels, any less and it will bias towards the central pixel, any more and it will start sampling pixels outside the normal kernel).

It makes a really nice difference in VR so have fun :)

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
ooo - sharpening...my dream. Hopefully this means I don't have to up my graphics settings for silverstone just to see the track edges, and that I can see the numbers on signs :)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
As a starting point, try changing the values to these:

<prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.600000" />
<prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />
<prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />

and experiment from there. There are no "right or wrong" values, the idea is to experiment and see what works best for you :)

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
ok - I found a little improvement by putting Strength to 1 and OffsetBias to 2. I don't observe any effect when I play with the other value though. Now, if they'll just give us better(working) VR HUDs I'll be well happy. Every update has had something good so far.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
what do you mean "if they'll just give us working VR HUDs"? It already has a working VR HUD.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
well...
  1. sometimes the depth of the HUD just randomly moves about another "metre" away from you (if you've set your oculus down for a bit is a common one) (it's probably the same root cause as the occasional complete change of player camera position to be out of the roof of your car/2 metres back/etc)
  2. The small text size is illegible on my G980, if I could control the text size or "depth" of the UI I could fix this
  3. The HUD area depends entirely on the window size of the VR Mirror, where nothing else does
  4. The HUD manager (that drags the boxes around) is really pretty difficult to use and sometimes just won't let you select an item
  5. If you get your HUD just right in VR, you can bet that it is rubbish for streaming. If you put them in the best place for streaming, they're probably clipped in VR - basically separate HUD positioning for the mirror.
I'm not saying the HUD isn't great functionality, and having configurable positioning is awesome, but slick it ain't just yet.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
@UnstopaPaul This has to do with the resolution of your Windowed-Mirror-Window (Or whatever you want to call it). The thing that is mirrored to your desktop that is.

You have to set it to the correct resolution of 2xOculus rift display resolution. Which is 1080x1200. So the windowed resolution should be 2160x1200.

Then everything matches 1:1 and all scales will be correct. Which does mean you'll have to stream the 2160x1200 window though.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
@UnstopaPaul This has to do with the resolution of your Windowed-Mirror-Window (Or whatever you want to call it). The thing that is mirrored to your desktop that is.

You have to set it to the correct resolution of 2xOculus rift display resolution. Which is 1080x1200. So the windowed resolution should be 2160x1200.

Then everything matches 1:1 and all scales will be correct. Which does mean you'll have to stream the 2160x1200 window though.
I will try this thanks!...though the obvious counterpoint is that people recommend dropping the resolution of that window when looking to save FPS. I'm wondering will my machine cope. If it doesn't....well only one thing for it ;)

EDIT: I don't get an option to go as high as 2160. 1920 is my max :(

Last edited:

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
You can edit it in the configurationfile itself. You'll have to manually change the configuration file to set the correct resolution. :)

Users who are viewing this thread