rFactor 2 Possible performance improvements for Rift users (1 Viewer)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So I had some real issues during Sebring with low FPS and a very laggy/stuttering experience in the rift.

I dived a bit into the SteamVR options and found some potential trouble makers. If this is no news for you, please keep it to yourself xD So first of all you want these to be unchecked:

SteamVR_reprojection.PNG

So go into settings and check the developer tab. The supersampling filter actually makes a nice improvement of IQ, more so than actual SS, that I now checked it on. Doesn't have a negative performance impact too.

Next think is the cheeky automatic supersampling. So when you have a powerful GPU, Steam VR wastes this advantage by running a general SS of 200%...yay

SteamVR_auto_SS.PNG

Set this to manual override and put it on 100%. You can still use an application specific SS factor if you want:

SteamVR_application_SS.PNG

So with that changed, I tested a 20 car grid, Sebring at night, starting mid pack. During race start my FPS went from (mean) 63 to 76 (ASW disabled). That's a nice 20% improvement.

But I still wasn't happy with the way the game felt, after enabling ASW again. pCARS is a whole lot smoother with ASW. I re-enabled the Rift performance monitor and found an odd behavior. FPS wouldn't stay at 45, but periodically go up to about 60. Normally it should switch between 45 and 90, and I checked with unconstrained frame rate I was under 90 the whole formation lap, so it should have been 45 all the time. With 45 fps ASW forced on, not auto, this behavior goes away and the game feels a lot smoother.

So if you struggle to hit that 90FPS, I recommend you try forcing ASW on and see if that feels better for you!

Last edited:

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Is this with 1080ti?

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The auto super sampling factor, I guess, is 1080Ti specific (could be something like 150% for 1080), the rest should apply to all cards. The super sampling part should apply to both Rift and Vive users, the reprojection bit is only interesting for the Rift :)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi guys anyone able to help me out i just cant seem to get the vr to work right.
It works but it keeps drifting. after spending several hours locating the reset button thought that would set it right but no i press it and it centers but very soon after that it starts to drift again.
Center postion is not great either it puts me in the drivers neck i have shoulders for ears not great lol. Please help me out pretty please.. Thanks in advance.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
i got 2 sensos and both are ceiling mounted so no obstruction and pointing in my play area. No infared lights about. But mentioning confusing it could a mirror do that. As i have two big mirrors in my room there sliding doors so they are practicly a wall.
Post automatically merged:

Ok so after reading bits online it seems prehaps becouse my sensors can see the rift in the mirrors its having a bit of a hard time actualy locating my postion but it dont effect it in any other game well i say that i have the odd moment were i teleport out of the body of the charicter lol thats spooky and sickening at the same time. I shall cover up mirrors and test theory..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for driving, you don't really need a positional tracking, do you? I mean, you're fixed in the seat. At least that's how I'm doing it.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You do need it, even if only for very subtle head movements if you always sit still. You'll be surprised at how ill it makes you when what your eyes see don't match up to what your inner ear is telling your brain :yuck:

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If anyone reading this has vr would someone be really kind and help me set it up correctly im simply playing out the box iv messed with a few setting but nothing dramatic i know theres more i can het out of it i just have no clue what im doing lol..

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If anyone reading this has vr would someone be really kind and help me set it up correctly im simply playing out the box iv messed with a few setting but nothing dramatic i know theres more i can het out of it i just have no clue what im doing lol..

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Mate what is that video suposed to help me with...

How to setup your oculus correctly. I had an oculus and with that video + the tutorial with the software I could set it up perfectly.

Question back, what is going wrong on your side, mate???

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Its all good i have finaly sorted it to the best my PC can take but thanks for your assist all.. I had to completely delete all my graphic settings for every game and start afresh it took some doing and a lot of balance and compromise but iv finaly got it to a point im happy with i can see in the distance and drive with it now i just have to get used to being in the rift really weird not staring at a square screen lol.but sooo dam good why didnt i do it sooner lol..

Users who are viewing this thread