Assetto Corsa PLP Alternative Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ok so lets look this way. You chose the incorrect tire pressures and that's worth 25% of a drive through? All im asking is leeway and compromise. Dont take it the wrong way but I think this a little unreasonable. Would we be able to just arrange a little test too see if we can decrease that 25% to something more logical. You've admitted it isn't perfect and I know it never will be but we can make it better for the overall race if you're willing to have an open mind.

We are drifting away here. Wrong tire pressures are now at 25% fault?

Should we hand out extra points for hitting the correct pressure? It is getting absurd here.

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
We are drifting away here. Wrong tire pressures are now at 25% fault?

Should we hand out extra points for hitting the correct pressure? It is getting absurd here.

Maybe extra points for every one of your warnings you don't use? :)

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Would we be able to just arrange a little test too see if we can decrease that 25% to something more logical. You've admitted it isn't perfect and I know it never will be but we can make it better for the overall race if you're willing to have an open mind.

it's already been stated above that it is being tested....(see post #26 & #43)

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Cooking your tires in AC is 1: to less practice or 2: pushing to long to hard or 3: result of a incident. So that is a non discuss topic imo.

The funny thing actually is that I have done many leagues in AC with PLP. Never had so much resistance by driver(s). I am not a fun of more penalty's allowed simply because the drivers who are always on the limit to much will go to that new limit.

Also a hour race is not really a sprint race anymore so why push so hard why take so much risk? Just do a shit qualy every time like me (neh I am just to slow) and have fun overtaking / battling in race.

Dangerous Gianetta

Community Member
Reaction score
firstly srry my poor english guys. but i need to write something.
i can say about plp that i know it from other AC league for 2-3-4 and 5 seasons i have used it,also i have raced before tor poznan.i have raced so many too fast guys.what is problem guys.track limits? or does it effect more league points? or @t0daY said recodding the plp application.?come on guys, maybe so many people don't know where Turkey is in the world just thinking.im here i like racing games also i like being here with you guys and im almost near 41 years.SİNCE yesterday im trying to understand all written on the forum.but even now i don't understand.:)
im tryinig to translate but google is not give me correct translation,can you write slowly and shortly guys:)
do we continue to same PLP application for race4 race5 and race 6?if there is vote i accept old one,so
no matter either plp is nor plp isn't that we use, i like racing with you guys and i believe many friends don't complain about it,
bythe way where does this topic come to forum :)
thanks @Noztra ,@t0daY ,@Ricardo Macieira

Last edited:

Vernux

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I think this track was particularly bad with PLP as i think you could get a penalty even if your not running all for wheels over, whatever the case it was certainly it was worse than Zolder.

To fix the situation: Obviously we cant make the admins watch every lap from every driver but then again we never have with the revolution cup in pcars. I do believe that the self policing option works and we are still quite a tightly knit community so we can trust each-other to be honest hopefully. If @Jeff[NL] is correct that would be nice so we can at least have a second opinion to make sure we deserve the penalty.

To me though it seems like PLP has an underlying problem between the tracks of being inconsistent. The 3 tracks we have driven have had vastly different criteria for cut tracks, none of which directly match our rules as a community so what can we do? Certain drivers have had time to test every night between events and find the limits of the system for each track. others haven't and are just going by standard rules ( which could in theory get them a penalty) We had a system outside AC that I think its better than the current one as we could decide amount ourselves depending on the situation.

This track was quite harsh on track limits but this is what it is. You have to adapt to it and thats it. You need 30min practice at most and you should be fine. I did 0 practice for zolder guess what? i got no DT. Neither in R2 or R3.
Trusting in everybody would be a pretty bad idea. Just cuz you dont like PLP and you think its unfair, its the same for everybody so if its unfair with you, its unfair with everbody else.

@Stokemon 's POVs show some real issues. Obviously if you make a mistake and run wide you are meant to hit the brakes to get to the minimum speed. but if you are on the dirt you cant just jump on the brakes as any other small inputs can put the car in dangerous situation. look at the first video If he would have tried slow down there that car most likely would have lost control an spun onto the circuit. To me that strict of a system isn't correct at least the re entry speed needs to come up so you only need to lift.

Its not the right approach throwing penalties at everyone for everything we need to really sit back and look at the logic of 0.1 tenth gained X 4 = 20+ second DT at the end of the day this system has pushed it too far over the edge and we have gone from inconvenience too overly restrictive and race threatening. For those who said its because I diddnt win its not at all its because Im a fan of racing hard, fair and assertive and in a fun manner and the constant threat of penalties from a couple small mistakes destroy that.

People shouldn't be punished for small errors that are inconsequential. We are human and humans make mistakes from time to time if thats a problem then we may aswell ask AI to do the race for us.

If you on the dirt obv you wont go full ham on the brakes. YOu got 4 chances. If thats your first mistake you can take it, cuz it doesnt matter. Its just 1 x. If thats ur last chance before DT, thats not good , but you actually put urself in that situation so ^^.

I'm a fan of racing hard and fair, and guess what, PLP doesnt hold me back from it. I made alot of overtakes last round and i got 0 off tracks while i did them. You got 4 chances . Its not like, if you go off track its DT time boi.

Yes we are humans, and we make mistakes. You can ask @Exited how many times i almost missed T1 at R2 track But i braked till i almost stop and made to corner. He got a ran on my but till you race smart and watch out for things PLP shouldnt be a problem. If you see you went on throttle tad bit early, you can always go off throttle or even brake if you meesed that corner up that much. Your chance is in your hands my dude.

Its a sprint series, we should be pushing 110% if you want to drive 90% go and do a 3hour stint in an endurance series.

Personally I think if you are not pushing your limits above and beyond every lap you drive you're never going to learn anything about car control and your own abilities. People aren't born good its finding how hard you can push yourself and the car so naturally you are going to mess up sometimes, it becomes a point where we begin to punish attempts of people finding that limit. I think at least the strikes should be increased and the amount of speed you need too drop off when re entering should be reduced to just a lift. We can see from the @Stokemon video that its wanting you too loose WAY more time than you gain anyway

Go practice server and find your limits before you comes to the race so you wont get an offtrack. Still you got 4 chances, so if you mess up once you know thats beyond the limit. Changing track limits doesnt help at all. You gonna max that out aswell cuz you gonna go beyond the track limits even more.

Because the nature of the track is COMPLETELY different. other than grass and tarmac whats similar between it and tor? the corners were all on camber and the opened out. You also had reference points for car placement being the massive fucking concrete blocks on the apex. On Tor corners are bumpy and off camber and the exit often tightens leading the car into under steer. It was a significantly more challenging track.
Post automatically merged:

It is designed to make you feel like your going to run out of road, so in many cases people did.

If the track is more chalalnging, practice a little bit more.
I propose 2 changes.

- Higher limit to allow for mistakes and battling
- Decrease the speed you have to drop to re-enter the track to something that allows just a lift and no hard braking. (should also alow you get back onto the tarmac quickly so you arent off the track for ages sliding on the grass and nearly loosing control.

No and maybe. I raced in other places with @Noztra and i never had any problems with PLP, and i wouldnt call myself slow, even with no practice i've got kinda decent pace. We never had a problem with PLP and you cant blame the car or the track. You need to get used to them and adjust your driving.
Just a slight llift wont be enough. Can be outplayed on many tracks many places.

I think everyone has their own thoughts on this but im just coming from the perspective of asking ourselves if it saves unfair penalties being handed out for people doing things that are still within the rules (driving back on track, Running wide in a battle, under steering) Should't we trust ourselves a little more and free it up and give people the option to push themselves harder than they have before without the threat of ruining their race? I see the point of 'you pushed too hard and you shouldn't do that' but even not getting the strike you get massive penalty having to jump on the brakes to get to the speed. .

1 offtrack isnt the end of your race. If thats your last one than rip.

And if tyres cook and you spin? or you have to avoid a crash ?

Ok so lets look this way. You chose the incorrect tire pressures and that's worth 25% of a drive through? All im asking is leeway and compromise. Dont take it the wrong way but I think this a little unreasonable. Would we be able to just arrange a little test too see if we can decrease that 25% to something more logical. You've admitted it isn't perfect and I know it never will be but we can make it better for the overall race if you're willing to have an open mind.

If u got the wrong tire pressure u mssed up sth and u should retire if you are danger for the rest of the field or go to the pits and chang your tires to be good.

I think PLP working kinda okayish. Some tweak could help but its almost the best what we got atm. You have to lvie with it, or if you dont like it you can leave whenever you want. You agreed on this when you signned up for this league.
Me personally dont think PLP kills the racing and stuff. If you feel like that,there is something wrong with you. This track was pretty harsh on track limits and sure there will be more tracks, but you need to get used ot it. But thats it.

This little writing most likely is a little mess but reading through all this is super hard to keep track on all the points.
Wanna mention this wasnt a rant agasint you @Alex Salmon, just wanted say that there are many many things what u look in a wrong way.

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
firstly srry my poor english guys. but i need to write something.
i can say about plp that i know it from other AC league for 2-3-4 and 5 seasons i have used it,also i have raced before tor poznan.i have raced so many too fast guys.what is problem guys.track limits? or does it effect more league points? or @t0daY said recodding the plp application.?come on guys, maybe so many people don't know where Turkey is in the world just thinking.im here i like racing games also i like being here with you guys and im almost near 41 years.SİNCE yesterday im trying to understand all written on the forum.but even now i don't understand.:)
im tryinig to translate but google is not give me correct translation,can you write slowly and shortly guys:)
do we continue to same PLP application for race4 race5 and race 6?if there is vote i accept old one,so
no matter either plp is nor plp isn't that we use, i like racing with you guys and i believe many friends don't complain about it,
bythe way where does this topic come to forum :)
thanks @Noztra ,@t0daY ,@Ricardo Macieira

DG I Can translate on TS If you want to. :)

cheekyspam

Community Member
Reaction score
For what they are worth here are my final thoughts on this topic:

First, Thank you to the league authorities for allowing this debate. It shows you are willing to listen to the community (whatever the opinion) in the interest of improving.

Second, Respect to all people that have responded to this debate. It has been fascinating to here it from all angles and I have formed my opinions which are:

My Proposal to move this forward is at the bottom if you don't want to read my opinions.

(The following is my opinion, I have no intention to upset or conflict with anyone and I respect all sides of the debate which all have some merit to them)

1. PLP is the app to use to control track limits, WHY? because we all agree we need limits/control and from all suggestions I believe this is the best option (mainly because of the configuration it offers). Everything else IMHO on this debate is the details around the app.
2. The debate of limits is in every aspect of life, WHY? because peoples interpretation of them and their value to them are different and the ones we value less we push more. (How many of us have gone over the speed limit, how many of us have really gone over the speed limit :nailbiting:, how many of us care that we have broken a law that we agreed with when passing our test)
3. Honest mistake, injustice, not harsh enough is in every aspect of life, WHY? because of the same reasons of point 2. Imagine being that person that was speeding and you hit someone. It was a honest mistake but I don't want to be that person and face the other persons family. Imagine another car hits you and you hit someone, not your fault but you couldn't do anything about it, only thing you can do is try to minimise it (i.e. go slower, drive more conservative, allow more room for other drivers...). (extreme example but you get my point.)
4. Where do you draw the line. Just like in every aspect - you need to find the sweet spot (That's what happens in Law). That spot is going to be different for everyone but from the collective there is a middle of the sweet spot. Same goes for the punishment.
5. Every aspect of life has limits and buffers to that limit. Football has the yellow and red cards (you can not appeal a yellow card), Racing has a variety of penalties, law has lenience on a first offence...
6. What PLP does have is a "Black and White" system with buffers that are not a secret. We all know where the track limits are, we all (now) know what to do to avoid a warning or even stop it from happening if you do go over the limit (take action to make the red square go green before re-entering the track), The app is consistent. Due to these factors each individual has the choice how much they want to "Flirt" with the limits. It is a choice and it is an individual one and only you can make it (Just like how much do you go over the speed limit) unfortunately there are consequences to those actions.
7. Every track is different but it is not PLP that is the variation its the track and everyone needs to adjust just like we adjust to the temperature or grip levels.

Proposal:
@t0daY @Noztra I would like to put forward a suggestion to the league authorities for your consideration based on the above:

1. You set a deadline for this debate to end it and from there make a final decision.
2. Based on the debate you review the activation and deactivation parameters to see if you are happy with the limits
3. Review the number of warnings "buffer" you are willing to give. (I like the suggestion from a previous post on looking at the previous PLP warnings for everyone (data) and see if 80% or only 20% of the field are getting penalties and judge if that is too much or too little for a 55min race and adjust if necessary.)
4. Review the penalty. Does the punishment fit the crime, on reflection are you happy with the punishment being dealt out by PLP violations and adjust if necessary.

Again this is only a proposal and not something I insist you must do :) but so I am not "sitting on the fence" my thoughts to my own proposal are:
1. The deadline should be this weekend. (To put it to bed).
2. I am happy with the current parameters of activation and deactivation. (a lot of us know it and have learnt to work with it with practice.)
3. I would like to see the number of warnings increase by 1 or 2. (I am a terrible driver and often have to compensate my driving to not get a penalty for "Honest" reasons. A minor increase would make me more relaxed and increase my enjoyment)
4. I am not fussed. Before I break the rule I know what the punishment it. It is up to me to "Flirt" with it or not.

Whatever comes of this please note you will have my full support and compliance. I really appreciate you opening up this debate.

As a community I think we should all agree whatever the outcome this should be the end of the debate and we accept the conclusion as a community, if the decision after the debate is a deal breaker for some I would respectfully ask them to move on. It has been a great start to a new home for Assetto Corsa and I see this as fine tuning of a system.

Sorry for the long post, Respect to you all :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

First, Thank you to the league authorities for allowing this debate. It shows you are willing to listen to the community (whatever the opinion) in the interest of improving.

Second, Respect to all people that have responded to this debate. It has been fascinating to here it from all angles and I have formed my opinions which are:

My Proposal to move this forward is at the bottom if you don't want to read my opinions.

(The following is my opinion, I have no intention to upset or conflict with anyone and I respect all sides of the debate which all have some merit to them)

1. PLP is the app to use to control track limits, WHY? because we all agree we need limits/control and from all suggestions I believe this is the best option (mainly because of the configuration it offers). Everything else IMHO on this debate is the details around the app.
2. The debate of limits is in every aspect of life, WHY? because peoples interpretation of them and their value to them are different and the ones we value less we push more. (How many of us have gone over the speed limit, how many of us have really gone over the speed limit :nailbiting:, how many of us care that we have broken a law that we agreed with when passing our test)
3. Honest mistake, injustice, not harsh enough is in every aspect of life, WHY? because of the same reasons of point 2. Imagine being that person that was speeding and you hit someone. It was a honest mistake but I don't want to be that person and face the other persons family. Imagine another car hits you and you hit someone, not your fault but you couldn't do anything about it, only thing you can do is try to minimise it (i.e. go slower, drive more conservative, allow more room for other drivers...). (extreme example but you get my point.)
4. Where do you draw the line. Just like in every aspect - you need to find the sweet spot (That's what happens in Law). That spot is going to be different for everyone but from the collective there is a middle of the sweet spot. Same goes for the punishment.
5. Every aspect of life has limits and buffers to that limit. Football has the yellow and red cards (you can not appeal a yellow card), Racing has a variety of penalties, law has lenience on a first offence...
6. What PLP does have is a "Black and White" system with buffers that are not a secret. We all know where the track limits are, we all (now) know what to do to avoid a warning or even stop it from happening if you do go over the limit (take action to make the red square go green before re-entering the track), The app is consistent. Due to these factors each individual has the choice how much they want to "Flirt" with the limits. It is a choice and it is an individual one and only you can make it (Just like how much do you go over the speed limit) unfortunately there are consequences to those actions.
7. Every track is different but it is not PLP that is the variation its the track and everyone needs to adjust just like we adjust to the temperature or grip levels.

Proposal:
@t0daY @Noztra I would like to put forward a suggestion to the league authorities for your consideration based on the above:

1. You set a deadline for this debate to end it and from there make a final decision.
2. Based on the debate you review the activation and deactivation parameters to see if you are happy with the limits
3. Review the number of warnings "buffer" you are willing to give. (I like the suggestion from a previous post on looking at the previous PLP warnings for everyone (data) and see if 80% or only 20% of the field are getting penalties and judge if that is too much or too little for a 55min race and adjust if necessary.)
4. Review the penalty. Does the punishment fit the crime, on reflection are you happy with the punishment being dealt out by PLP violations and adjust if necessary.

Again this is only a proposal and not something I insist you must do :) but so I am not "sitting on the fence" my thoughts to my own proposal are:
2. I am happy with the current parameters of activation and deactivation. (a lot of us know it and have learnt to work with it with practice.)
3. I would like to see the number of warnings increase by 1 or 2. (I am a terrible driver and often have to compensate my driving to not get a penalty for "Honest" reasons. A minor increase would make me more relaxed and increase my enjoyment)
4. I am not fussed. Before I break the rule I know what the punishment it. It is up to me to "Flirt" with it or not.

Whatever comes of this please note you will have my full support and compliance. I really appreciate you opening up this debate.

As a community I think we should all agree whatever the outcome this should be the end of the debate and we accept the conclusion as a community, if the decision after the debate is a deal breaker for some I would respectfully ask them to move on. It has been a great start to a new home for Assetto Corsa and I see this as fine tuning of a system.

Amazing post @cheekymunkey78 :)

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score

Proposal:

This is how you present an argument and make a valid point. Really well written! Best post of the year so far. :)

CrisBCros

Community Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you guys don‘t expect every driver is reading through all the thread :oops:

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Interested to read this thread, I’m not currently racing and haven’t tried the PLP system myself. However, the principle of a black and white track limits system seems very good to me.

In the UK track limits rules are very simple, you keep your wheels on the racing surface at all times, the most likely run off areas to gain an advantage all have pressure sensors and CCTV now. In 5 years of real racing I can only remember a couple of drivers in our series actually getting penalised for track limits and they learnt to not do it next time rather than making a fuss. I believe the system used in the UK is usually you’re allowed your first off, track limits warning board the second time and then time penalties per further offence. The racing in real life is very close and competitive, if you don’t have enough control to drive at the limit whilst keeping the car on track you’re not going to be safe with other cars or be able to take the correct line.

Just look at Monaco, the best drivers in the world can push with precision to not keep crashing into the barriers there!

To be honest the only sim where I haven’t seen systematic abuse of track limits and disputes over the issue is iRacing, it just throws black and white off track penalties, they’re not consistent between tracks, but it only takes a quick practice session to learn where to be careful. Whilst their system isn’t explicitly used as a time penalty system just having the SR, public log of when you went off track and 17x limit for disqualification in longer races effectively stops the best drivers from doing it.

If you don’t enforce it then you’ll end up like the American GT racing video posted earlier, just drive wherever you want to is the other extreme and could work in a racing game, so long as everyone knows we’re playing Mario kart rules...

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

CrisBCros

Community Member
Reaction score
Just tested - the tyres feel way more controlable on the edge and with kind of more bite. I like! Great job @miagi :happy:

cheekyspam

Community Member
Reaction score
Just did an offline 10 lap Ai race with the new car and tyres at Mugello with 100% grip using the server set-up v3.

TL;DR:
The new version of car and tyres gets my vote.
@miagi did an amazing job

Review:
Please note that I love Mugello and have good control (for me) around this track but I have never managed to do this before in AC:

With this version I am over 1.5 seconds faster than my previous best. I assume the rest of the league will also be but it is a great feeling.

I was able to lean more in the corners and I was able to balance the tyre temps, when I was doing a 1:40.2 my tyres started to overheat and I ended up loosing time after about 3 laps. when I kept it at 1:41:0 my tyre temps kept well balanced. It was obvious when I was loosing grip with tyre wear which made me loose time but the car didn't slide out of control. The window of grip was predictable and moved with temps and wear better than I have ever experienced in any car.

As for the car itself, overall it seems more balanced and definitely feels more like a car over the bumps, after it hits a bump it thumps back down as if there is real weight in it. (before it seemed to bunny hop until grip gave out and I had to wait several bounced before the car settled.)

When it does loose grip it does it in a big way but I knew I pushed it too far. (I have lost it before in all cars and couldn't tell I over pushed it on many spins). To have that feedback is amazing, especially in practice to learn my limits.

Before I loved this car, now I am obsessed with it.

Amazing job with the tyres @miagi your talent is awesome.

The new version gets my vote.

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm aware that I have been vocal on the subject and should definitely do some testing. However my wheel broke yesterday (yes the one that is only 4 days old).

Sounds like the changes are good :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I understand research for track limits and penalty but why change tires/feeling during the season? I mean I don't think anyone complains about it so why the research?

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I understand research for track limits and penalty but why change tires/feeling during the season? I mean I don't think anyone complains about it so why the research?

Testing is allowed IMO :) Also we never stated we are going to change the tires or did we?

Users who are viewing this thread