New car: what to buy (1 Viewer)

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Next year I have plans to buy a new car (not new new but used one) for myself as I sold my Renault Laguna.
I though where is the best place for conversation about it than here :)

My wish is something like bmw 330 petrol (diesel also but I prefer petrol) for the price of max 17000€ (without vat). I know that it will be about 6-8 years old but if condition of car is good everything is OK. Main thing about car is power and that is comfortable for long trips.

What do you think? Maybe Audi, or something else is better solution?

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Besides power of engine, build quality is what I am asking for. 10 years of driving Renault is enough for visiting car service too often.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
How much space do you need, as in is this car just for you or for family trips. That would rule out a coupe, well it works, I did it myself for a year, but it gets annoying.

javoresku

Community Member
Reaction score
17000€ is a lot for a 6-8 years old car if it's only the buying price.
For that kind of money you can get a BMW 335i or 535i, Audi S3/S4 or Mercedes E500, all of which are 300+ hp.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what they’re like on long runs but the e90 m3 should fall writhing your requirements.
Or for a slightly less engaging drive I can’t recommend the 2012+ S4 enough. Especially with the auto box. A simple remap and charger pulley change takes it north of 400 hp and it’s a delight on long runs.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
How much space do you need, as in is this car just for you or for family trips. That would rule out a coupe, well it works, I did it myself for a year, but it gets annoying.

Car is for 4 of us (two kids). So I would prefer 4 door (Coupe excluded :) ) I saw that new (past 10 years) BMW 3 has way more space than older models.

17000€ is a lot for a 6-8 years old car if it's only the buying price.
For that kind of money you can get a BMW 335i or 535i, Audi S3/S4 or Mercedes E500, all of which are 300+ hp.

17k is most that I can pay for car so maybe newer model I can buy (I briefely checked prices), cca 200HP engine is enough for me :)

Something like this maybe:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...=2b2c1054-a63a-a1e6-2aab-812fbc5e0231&lang=en

If you care about fuel cost, and the infrastructure in you country is good, you might opt for LPG (like the car above). But that mostly excludes turbo cars.

I would not exclude Skoda :)

I don’t know what they’re like on long runs but the e90 m3 should fall writhing your requirements.
Or for a slightly less engaging drive I can’t recommend the 2012+ S4 enough. Especially with the auto box. A simple remap and charger pulley change takes it north of 400 hp and it’s a delight on long runs.

My fault... I wrote a first post that engine power is most important, but I really thought tat it would be around 200 HP. M3 is sport car, and I yould take it without any thinking if I search car just for myself.... But having fimily in mind, I am searching for nice compromise between Sport (stiff) ride and comfort ride. :)

I also needs to take in consideration my hight and long legs (202 cm, with legs way too long) but I think newer models of BMW 3 or Audi 4 (for Skoda I know) are long enough for me.

Last edited:

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
The old BMW 3 (coupé) is basically the same size as the "current" BMW 1 series. As an FYI. got no recommendations though.
This is true. My E30 coupé looks so tiny next to the newer 3 series :p

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well with two kids I’d look at a 3 series touring, A4 avant, maybe A5 Sportback or C class estate. If you want to go for German Premium. They’re all available with 2l turbos in that 200hp range. I’d personally go with the BMW but you won’t go wrong with any really.

In your price Range you could either get a E91 6 cylinder or F31 4 banger. Depending on what mileage you want the used car to have it’s either the bigger or smaller output version 320/325/330.

Skoda Superb is a whole lot of car for the money and has tons of space. Rear leg room and boot space is insane. And you can get it with “my” 2.0l turbo and 280hp 4WD :D

Last edited:

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I am BMW fan :)

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
I would advise against the Bmw 4pots. I’ve heard of so many issues with head gaskets on those.

javoresku

Community Member
Reaction score

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Skoda... 2.0l turbo and 280hp 4WD :D

Why not go retro?

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I would just like to mention that when buying used, the car's history is more important than make/model. Otherwise agree with other guys.
Oh, and don't forget Japanese :)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Why not go for a British classic...

Classic example of a turd...

sorry to crash this thread but having just looked for reliant robins. I saw this..

Whats the worst part of children and cars...stopping for the toilet, Heres the answer

:D :D :D

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I would just like to mention that when buying used, the car's history is more important than make/model. Otherwise agree with other guys.
Oh, and don't forget Japanese :)

Of course. My initial thought was to look at Mazda 6 but Mazda service is non existing in my country, and Toyota cars are not powerfull enough. They sell only Corolla 1.6 petrol, and smaller cars, or Land Cruiser (at official saloon).

Ha ha ha...

BMW 535d M Sport Touring review   price  specs and 0 60 time   Evo.png

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Did British thought that diesel is green in 2015? :D

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
What about a hot hatch? VW Golf GTI mk7 for example. Just do NOT choose the DSG. They're abysmal in city traffic. For 17k you should be able to get one 4 to 5 years old with less than 50k km down.

Users who are viewing this thread