Need help! (1 Viewer)

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm getting really annoyed with the wheel disconnecting in races, the latest 38 minutes into a 40 minute race...

If I post some log entries could somebody take a look and let me know if they recognise anything, or have any suggestions what I could do to stop it happening.

I'd be very happy, and so would the people whose races I trash when I lose control.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
My gut instinct is USB resetting but what's causing that is a minefield. Aside from trying the well-worn route of disabling "allow Windows to power off this device" for every usb item in device manager, the only thing I can suggest is to look at reverting any overclocks on the CPU and/or GPU.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem :)

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Below my reply from the race thread.

View attachment 7265

Anybody got a clue what this might be, my wheel disconnected with 2 minutes to go in the 40 minute race, I'd made it up to 7th from last after a race 1 DNF (Skype call caused that ffs!)

I keep getting these wheel disconnects, it's really frustrating! Thankfully in race 2 I didn't cause any problems as I was clear of other drivers, but I think I may have collected somebody in in race 1, so apologies to anyone caught up in my accident. If someone could post the replay I will make sure I apologise specifically to individuals.
Apparently that has something to do with indexing. No-one really has an answer for that log entry. If you are running an SSD maybe you can try disabling indexing or removing folders from indexing. Next would be to check drivers, CPU and Mem overclocking, memtest... Or that's what I would do. Maybe also selective startup? But there are a lot of people here a lot smarter than me...

Last edited:

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
Race 2 failed again tonight...

It's happening when my son gets home and switches on his PC upstairs, is it possible that is causing an issue? Clutching at straws. The focus moves off PC2 which causes the wheel disconnect...
Post automatically merged:

Help me Obi-Wan you're my only hope....

Last edited:

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Curious is it only pcars it happens with.????

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
PCars is pretty much all I play now. So yes, to date it hasn't happened in any other game.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
kind of narrows down your issue then buddy....

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
Indeed. The timing is uncanny though, it seems to be when my sons starts up his PC on our local network. It only ever happens around 21:15 - 21:25 on a Thursday. I race hours on Time Trials without any issues, and I've raced online at other times and it doesn't happen.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Id sugest giving what @Cluck said a try and disable allow windows to turn off usb.
Or.
Windows key -> power options -> enter. Click change plan settings -> change advanced power settings. Click on USB settings and open up USB selective suspend. If it is Enabled, change it do disabled. Click apply and Ok..

cpcdem

Community Member
Reaction score
If it's just what @Born2BSlow said in another thread, that the wheel still works when checked from the wheel driver, but it's just a matter of the game window losing focus, I would look into which app is gaining the focus at that moment. For example, I assume you are not using TeamSpeak when you do time trial, right? So there is a possibility that it's TeamSpeak that pops up, taking focus out of PCARS. Or some other app, maybe like a telemetry app that you use when racing?

Edit: or it could be windows itself, sending some notification and gaining focus... It makes sense something like that causing it, especially since it started happening after a window update if I understood you correctly.

Last edited:

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
Makes sense but how do I track down which app, or what windows action is causing the problem?

Could it be as simple as windows registering or recognising that my son’s computer is joining or on the network when he switches it on?

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Why not switch on your sons pc before you race and see if the problem goes away.

Sounds really odd but worth a shot.

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
Simple, I like that...

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Windows always appears to get these buggy issues after some time(i blame updates) so maybe worth a reinstall to narrow down the problem. then limit what you install until youve tested the wheel. maybe some single player races or public lobbies where u can test without worry of DNFs. you cant rule our hardware issues so if it continues after a reinstall, maybe worth trying a different USB port

cpcdem

Community Member
Reaction score
The idea that it happens when the other PC connects is plausible. Maybe Windows (or a 3rd party app?) wants to give a notification that somebody else has connected at that time.

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
The PC connection idea is not the problem, I left my son's PC on when racing last night, and he didn't arrive home until after he race finished. It happened again at 21:11, fortunately (or unfortunately) I'd just spun anyway and I was slowly recovering so it didn't impact me and thankfully I didn't take anyone out...

So my next step is change to another USB port and reinstall all drivers...I'll try the Inatek card, and see if that is better than the onboard USBs.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The PC connection idea is not the problem, I left my son's PC on when racing last night, and he didn't arrive home until after he race finished. It happened again at 21:11, fortunately (or unfortunately) I'd just spun anyway and I was slowly recovering so it didn't impact me and thankfully I didn't take anyone out...

So my next step is change to another USB port and reinstall all drivers...I'll try the Inatek card, and see if that is better than the onboard USBs.
It sounds like a connection issue with your USB ports. maybe previously a USB was connected at a funny angle and the connector pins are slightly bent leading to random disconnects. hope the usb card fixes it :)

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Or maybe the cable is broken on the inside somewhere. Any chance to try another on?

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I can race/drive for hours in TT with no issues, it doesn't happen in any other game or any other time. It's happening in a 10 minute window on a Thursday night when I'm racing here. Between 21:10 and 21:20...bloody frustrating I can tell you.

I had another look at the event log last night after the event as it were, no "error" reported this time but lots of those tmpid events which mention the thrustmaster usb driver and pcars2 exe...that's why I'm going to reinstall and see if that helps. Strangely those same tmpid events seem to happen all the time looking at the log, and the wheel only disconnects in that time window. I need a PC whisperer who understands the language of the computer, I'm just guessing.

I think the T500 USB connection cable is hard wired into the base, I'll take a look later and see if it can be swapped out.

cpcdem

Community Member
Reaction score
How exactly do you fix the problem while driving? If I understood correctly, you simple click on the game, to give it back focus, or something similar, is that right? If that's true, then there should be no USB or similar issue, as the wheel is still connected, but it's just the game having lost its focus. So I would only look at software issues (maybe there's any scheduled event in that timeframe on Thursdays?), unless my assumption above is not correct.

Users who are viewing this thread