Assetto Corsa Livery Creation Guide (1 Viewer)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
so you want to do your own livery's ey... well ill try my best to help you out...

First things first your going to need a few things to get started.
Photoshop, GIMP or paint.net. or any other software that supports psd/dds files.

you'll also need to install required plug in for your chosen image editing program.

lets not forget your going to need patience too (thats the biggie)

so here we go. You have your selected software installed and up and running. (hang on you need something to paint)
A simple google search is all you need to find the livery templates. (there is literally hundreds on the tinter web.)

So now you have your template and loaded it up and you look at it and think what the heck.??? you will notice a flat car! That's because this skin is wrapped around the 3D model when in game. Well if it's a bit confusing don't worry. There is a wire frame overlay so we can see just where the model parts meet. (youll find this on the layers and its called funny enough wireframe)
22.png

(There she be)

So your all set and ready for the fun adding stuff is relatively easy you can either add colours by using the provided colour wheel and painting it on with the various tools or you can download logos decals from the internet.
REMEMBER...
when ever you want to add something new to the model always create a "NEW Layer" do not edit any of the stock layers as this can cause some really weird side effects in the game.

If your like me and get confused really easy lol i made a little template car so i could see what parts of the car go were..
10.png

I simply lassoed parts dropped some paint in there and loaded it up in the game.
11.png
12.png

Well its not great but it helps lol...
Showroom_urd_t5_aura_2018_10-11-2018-14-21-58.jpg

Well now you've had a play and made something creative. your going to want to save it and make sure its in the right location, but before we can save it we are going to need a new Skin folder within Assetto Corssa game directory, you will find your cars in "Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/assettocorsa/content/cars.
1.png

There you will find another folder called skins(go on click in to there).
2.png

In you'r selected car skin folder you will find numerous pre installed skins.
3.png
In here create a new folder..
(((REMEMBER... Do not use spaces always use the _ _ _ _ )))
Now you need to open an existing skin folder and copy the contents to you'r new folder.
4.png
So now you'r new folder should look like...
5.png

you can delete the skin.maps dds as this will load as well as your custom skin..

Great we have now created a new skin folder time to save your progress..
8.png

now on to the home straight we need to save it as a DDS file so using you'r selected software hit that save as button and select file type. DDS Make sure you'r saving it in to you'r newly created skin folder
also make sure you call it skin.(it will ask you to overwrite current DO IT)
Untitled.png

so we are ready to view your masterpiece... we can do it 1 of 2 ways either straight through the game as above or you can use the content manager to view it i wont go in to how to use content manger its long winded lol...
Showroom_urd_t5_bayro_2018_29-10-2018-19-31-6.jpg

hope this helps you lot out i'm just sharing what i do with you guys to hopefully make it easier for you and question just post below guys thanks for reading...

Last edited:

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Great tutorial. Very easy to follow. Thanks!

Is there a way to reduce the reflectiveness? I have an idea for a livery, and it looks okay, but would look waaaay better with a matte finish.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Great tutorial. Very easy to follow. Thanks!

Is there a way to reduce the reflectiveness? I have an idea for a livery, and it looks okay, but would look waaaay better with a matte finish.
You know what i dont know lol iv never tried a matte finish. If i had to guess id say theres a file that would need editing. If its anything like getting a Chrome effect then you deffo need to mess with a file. I tend not to do that tbh.
You could try finding a. Colored matte wallpaper online and cut and paste it on.. Tell you what ill have a play next time im off work and see if i can figure it out. If you do figure it out post it up here mate. Cheers.

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Playing with the Ginetta LHD and RHD cars, a livery is matte for LHD but gloss for RHD.
Seems the finish is defined by the a dds file, and the colour indicates how reflective it must be. White is gloss and black is matte. Different levels of greys is something inbetween.

Note in the image below I've selected the bonnet. The livery texture, as you would normally define it, is derived from g55_body.dds
Also note that it refers to txMaps and a g55_bodymap.dds file. This file was not included with the RHD skins when I installed it, but I did find one in the LHD skins and figured out how its works. Basically below the livery is shown with no txMap file, and it seems it defaults to full gloss.

The image below is the exact same livery, but with a g55_bodymap.dds file in the same folder. This file is now very dark. Note the difference.

Here the body map looks like this:

The darker grey is more matte, but extra gloss is added to logos and car numbers. I find the difference too small to notice, but how about this?:

Now the body map is basically monochrome, with the logos and car numbers white and the rest black. The contrast is clearly visible, note the reflections on the number on the bonnet, with the rest of the bonnet matte.

I hope this helps someone. Took me quite a while to figure out what is going on. And I'm tired, so if I need to clarify something just ask. But I'm not claiming to be an expert. :)

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
...I wish I saw this before yesterday :p I was wondering how to do this as well, and eventually figured it out by myself after a few hours of trying stuff out last night. You just saved me writing a guide ;)

Here are my tests, it seems like we have similar tastes!

I'm especially loving having text the same colour as the body, but only having it reflect light while the rest of the car is matte.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Nice one @kobusnell thats the reason i created this post so we can all learn something new cheers...

alfieglenie

Community Member
Reaction score
I've downloaded a mini cooper and I'm trying to create a livery for it however I can't find a template. Could you possibly help please?

Users who are viewing this thread