• INTEL

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
This is one of the biggest questions when upgrading your PC is what to get, Intel or AMD builds.

I am thinking of upgrading my PC(currently i7-4770k/GTX970) but not sure what to go for.

Please feel free to share your experiences and opinions and vote on which is best

below are 2 example builds of what im thinking of.

• Case
  • CORSAIR Carbide Series SPEC-05 Mid-Tower Gaming Case, Black - Added
  • Motherboard
  • Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X Z390 Chipset ATX Motherboard
  • Processor
  • 9th Generation Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Processor
  • Thermal Paste
  • Arctic Silver AS5 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound - Added
  • CPU Cooling
  • Corsair Hydro Series, H100i PRO RGB, 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler - Added
  • Memory
  • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz Memory Modules
  • Graphics
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 8G Graphics Card - Added

• Case
  • Novatech Eclipse High Performance Mid Tower Case
  • Motherboard
  • Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (rev. 1.0) ATX Motherboard
  • Processor
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor with Wraith Prism RGB Cooler
  • Thermal Paste
  • Arctic Silver AS5 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound - Added
  • CPU Cooling
  • Corsair Hydro Series, H75 (2018) 120mm Radiator Dual Fan Liquid CPU Cooler - Added
  • Memory
  • Novatech Build Stock 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Single Modules
  • Graphics
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 8G Graphics Card - Added

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
With the 7nm tech AMD is ahead of Intel, I believe. And current benchmarks of the Zen2 CPUs second this. Also pricewise AMD is way better obviously. Power consumption and IPCs are again improved in comparison to current generation (Zen+). And as per current info available, the smallest Ryzen 3000 outperforms the 2700X for an approx. net price of 200USD.

So for me a no-brainer.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The problem and Dilema i have, is i really like intel but with alot of reports of AMD actually being better in so many ways, im not sure. Past experience has taught me, "you get what you pay for" meaning cheap sounds good but isnt always as good as u think. My current pc has served me well for the last 4-5 years and still runs everything i want but i have to be realistic, i know its now old and i need to upgrade soon enough which is where i get stuck. plus with the graphics cards now the cost of everything else combined its a fine balance to get the price right. Plus i want to upgrade to fanatec gear soon

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
if it runs everything you want are you upgrading just for the sake of it? if anything i'd maybe upgrade the GPU to a 1070ti or 1080. maybe overclock the CPU.

save the cash for your Fanatec gear, that'll make a bigger difference to your gaming experience.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
if it runs everything you want are you upgrading just for the sake of it? if anything i'd maybe upgrade the GPU to a 1070ti or 1080. maybe overclock the CPU.

save the cash for your Fanatec gear, that'll make a bigger difference to your gaming experience.
Im only thinking of upgrading, this is more research ahead of an upgrade, but as the PC is kinda old i would like to start thinking about it so i know what to go for should it brake. As for the Fanatec gear, i will most certainly have that before the next VEC season

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
With the 7nm tech AMD is ahead of Intel, I believe. And current benchmarks of the Zen2 CPUs second this. Also pricewise AMD is way better obviously. Power consumption and IPCs are again improved in comparison to current generation (Zen+). And as per current info available, the smallest Ryzen 3000 outperforms the 2700X for an approx. net price of 200USD.

So for me a no-brainer.
this

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
@Jamesl91
Clearly AMD with the upcoming 3000 series. Wait until then (release ~7th of July 2019). If you wanna be safe, wait for the benchmarks.
Reasons for AMD in 2019:
  • A lot less security flaws than Intel at this stage
  • A lot less power consumption for the same performance (saving some more bucks)
  • A lot less heat for the same performance (less tropical/desert conditions at home during summer)
  • AMD Motherboards are usually significantly cheaper
  • AMD Motherboards often are compatible with future processors (this can be seen now for the first AM4 motherboards (Ryzen 1000, 2017), most of them can run Ryzen 3000)
  • A lot better price/performance
  • And for Ryzen 3000, very probably better performance than comparable Intel products
This is only speaking for CPUs, for GPUs it is a different story

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
The problem and Dilema i have, is i really like intel but with alot of reports of AMD actually being better in so many ways, im not sure. Past experience has taught me, "you get what you pay for" meaning cheap sounds good but isnt always as good as u think. My current pc has served me well for the last 4-5 years and still runs everything i want but i have to be realistic, i know its now old and i need to upgrade soon enough which is where i get stuck. plus with the graphics cards now the cost of everything else combined its a fine balance to get the price right. Plus i want to upgrade to fanatec gear soon
Not sure what there is to gain or lose between Intel and AMD apart from performance and price. It's a die, it will calculate stuff, the AMD heat spreader works better than the Intel one. Intel is having trouble with the manufacturing process. Atm I really don't see Intel being the better manufacturer. TSMC is clearly ahead of Intel now.
I just bought a new Pc and was looking between
Intel Core i5-9400F vs AMD Ryzen 2600X
and a level above
Ryzen 2700X vs i7 8700K

In the cheaper compensation game performance is quite close with the 2600X rather above in most games but in Multi-Threading Software Performance the 2600X is clearly ahead. To stream or record a race, both Game Performance and Software-Performance should be looked at. Price wise the CPU+Board+Ram is about the same level. I would recommend you my RAM*

In the bit more expensive comperisation the 8700K is a good bit ahead in pure Gaming-Performance but 2700X is slightly better in Multi-Threading Software Performance. Still the 8700K is slightly more expensive and quit an old CPU actually.

I had an Intel Core2Duo then the i7 860 and now moved to the Ryzen 2600X and I would recommend you the Ryzen 3700X oder 3800X depending on pricing if you can wait a few more weeks. Intel atm is struggling badly and worst thing is, the CPU-Pricing does not reflect that.

*My RAM is Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000, CL15-16-16 (BLS2C8G4D30AESBK/BLS2K8G4D30AESBK)
In my PC it runs 3133 MHz at CL15 what makes for pretty quick timing, something the Ryzen 2000 series likes a lot. Maybe the 3000 Series favours pure clock more than timing, we will see.

Last edited:

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
Wait for Ryzen 3xxx.

7/7-2019 is the release date.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Like so many have previously mentioned, AMD for now, is the way to go. You could even buy the mobo & a cheap cpu till the Ryzen 3 series come out as they will be compatible with the older boards. Then just sell the cheapo.
Highly recommend ram above 3000mhz
I went for the hyperx 32gb predator 3200mhz & hit that speed out of the box. Though 16gb is overkill for most things still, except maybe chrome..
you'll likely want to consider the x470 mobo or the newer x570 boards

Last edited:

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
Here is a nice Benchmark how Ram on Ryzen 2000 effects gaming performance.
You can see that above a certain bandwidth, the effective timing is important.

Mazy CZ

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same questions and thinking in my head aswell as my current PC i5 3570K OC'd to 4,4GHz + gtx 1070 (previously gtx 970 and AMD 7950HD) i built in 2013 so it is almost 6 years old. Still I can play games alright but my GPU is now better than my CPU.

I had AMD CPU before but I didn't know anything about gaming PC's back then. In the past, Intel was way to go and it was no brainer but seeing the Ryzen rising the fight against Intel and especially the 3000 series, then I will also go for Ryzen 5 3xxx.

So it is not an advise as Im not the one who understands PC's but I will closely follow this thread aswell. Im not upgrading my PC in this year (or maybe at the end of this year but I think there is no other racing game that will release soon and my pc will not handle it.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same questions and thinking in my head aswell as my current PC i5 3570K OC'd to 4,4GHz + gtx 1070 (previously gtx 970 and AMD 7950HD) i built in 2013 so it is almost 6 years old. Still I can play games alright but my GPU is now better than my CPU.

I had AMD CPU before but I didn't know anything about gaming PC's back then. In the past, Intel was way to go and it was no brainer but seeing the Ryzen rising the fight against Intel and especially the 3000 series, then I will also go for Ryzen 5 3xxx.

So it is not an advise as Im not the one who understands PC's but I will closely follow this thread aswell. Im not upgrading my PC in this year (or maybe at the end of this year but I think there is no other racing game that will release soon and my pc will not handle it.
Often January is a good time to buy pc hardware. There might be some price drops then. It's worth having a look in hardware-search-portals and watch out for some price dips.

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
AMD is hosting a show tonight at E3.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Dont think of what to get now think of what you want to get after that becouse its all about future proofing.....

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
In the past 20 years i had both AMD and Intel chips. Also both ATI (AMD) and Nvidia graphics cards (and voodoo in you're old enough to remember that). I wasn't disapointed in any of them. Rules:
Don't be a fan boy.
Do your research.

Users who are viewing this thread