Project CARS 2 Ginetta Challenge R3: Brands Hatch - 7th June 2018 (1 Viewer)

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can we just run this series every Thursday? :p

Race 1: Starting 5th on the grid I had a horrific start dropping to 10th by turn 3 which put me in @Battenberg's path.. something that has been happening a lot recently ;) Another great battle commenced and I managed to pull away to get an eventual 5th closing in on @steveg200 in 4th.

Race 2: Starting 20th in the reverse grid I managed to make up 20 positions on the first lap and get to 1st place! (and with 0 damage :D), pulled out a nice 8s lead to my fellow human in 2nd and then @Puffpirat quickly catches after getting past the humans. Within a few laps he pulled off a great overtake, I managed to stay with 2s of Puffy before one of the lapped cars (red car?) basically stopped mid-corner causing puffy to hit the brakes and have a crash with the driver. Puffy and myself then had an incident which killed Puffys race entirely and put me down to 4th after driving on with huge damage. We've discussed this privately so no need for any further action :)

Great fun as always - looking forward to next weeks event!

Last edited:

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Sorry @King-Kodiak , I can't resist :)

EDIT: Now, I really wish the meme generator trolled anyone with this image, and only ever printed the text "I am Groot", no matter what you type...

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Never did I expect that the wheel would come loose from the desk. New pair of trousers required and then arms after holding it on for dear life to keep @UnstopaPaul behind me!

Had great fun. We need to race this car like this more often!

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
These races were nuts :D

Especially first race, I bow to @Alex Salmon for making it stick around the outside of the last turn. I can't remember a last lap to be more exciting than this one. Well deserved win for you Alex, your driving was just excellent. Also GGs to @Puffpirat, who was always right behind us but unfortunately not finding a gap.

Here's my POV of the side-by-side action on last lap. The finish run is cut off because I can't clip longer than 60 seconds. But you all know how it ended :D

Second race went almost clean for me, only got pushed off track once, but the rest was good an no major incidents. I want to highlight this clip, it is my personal favorite from today:

Very good awareness by @Sonic and @Battenberg. Usually I think 3 times about going for a gap like this but this time I had a good feeling and wasn't disappointed. :) Very nice racing there boys!

In the end I got super lucky with the win - I really expected to battle @CatchAGlimpse for second place at max. But Puffy got unlucky with the lapping (again) and a (lag?) incident between Puff and Glimpse gifted me the first place. I feel sorry for you guys as both of you really deserved the win there.

EDIT: Also GGs to @UnstopaPaul for driving fastest lap! That lap was a banger mate :D

Last edited:

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Incredibly frustrating day for me.

Got fatally taken out both races due to no fault of my own, on top of being extremely cautious. Not fun.

Unfortunately, I was one of the people that hit you, @firefly. I just couldn't see the black rear-end of your car as you sat in the shadows. I had no idea you were there until you backed on to the track in front of me. Sorry, man. That collision wasn't intentional. Here's my perspective:

Reviewing the replay for the first race, I couldn't help but notice the poor demise of Firefly. It was really quite brutal and I feel bad for him:

On a positive note, I had a really great battle with @Jamesl91, @Alex Salmon, and @Raigore during the second race. Here's a clip of me trying to get around Alex in the last few minutes of the race. It was all going so well, until I made a newbie mistake and ran wide at the fast right-hand sweeper:

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
so, qualified P8: meh but allright.

First race binned it on turn 4 was a bit distracted through all the race and ended midfield.

Race 2 was very good climbed through the positions and got myself with @Stokemon behind for most of the race 0,5 to 1sec: after Puff and CatchAGlimpse got their altercation i was P2 which i think would be my final position as i think stokemon was having trouble being a real danger, nonetheless, the pressure was always there so it was good fun as it kept myself always on the line.

Smart as he is, he called my cheaky 3rd corner exits way past the white lines, which is fair to say was happening sometimes.
Even if uninentional that was a brilliant mind game as it affected me mentally and i passed the next 2 laps watching my mirrors ready to call any track cut :D...stupid of course: resulting in an accident and car damaged. Finished the race in 7th on a race that if i kept my head cool was an easy podium finish.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Next time will be different :).

EDIT: i will not be around for the next two weeks but im returning on the 24th June to the UK, until then, have fun guys!

Last edited:

firefly

Community Member
Reaction score
@Zemke looking at it from your POV, I now understand.

When I watched the replay with chase cam I was wondering why you drove like I wasn't there, because you never even saw me.

I moved a tiny bit back onto the track (no more than a meter), because my nose was stuck on the barrier. I expected people to at least anticipate and leave me some room to work with, but that was not the case. Maybe the rest didn't see me either.

Last edited:

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Zemke looking at it from your POV, I now understand.

When I watched the replay with chase cam I was wondering why you drove like I wasn't there, because you never even saw me.

I moved a tiny bit back onto the track (no more than a meter), because my nose was stuck on the barrier.
A lesson learnt then? before moving its always best to check behind you as well as the relative box to make sure the track is completely clear before doing such a move.

Just as a reminder to all:
2.1 Track Rejoins
  • 2.1.1 - Should a car leave the track for any reason the driver may rejoin but only when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.
  • 2.1.2 - If you do go wider than expected and leave the track, you must allow any following cars to pass before re-joining. You may not block a car by returning to the track prematurely unless they have clearly indicated that you have the room to do so (eg. moving clearly out of your way).

firefly

Community Member
Reaction score
A lesson learnt then? before moving its always best to check behind you as well as the relative box to make sure the track is completely clear before doing such a move.

Just as a reminder to all:

If it's all my fault then I'd be more inclined to take my loss and go by the rules, but when I just get wiped out due to (IMO) no fault of my own I just want to make up lost time. At the time I figured moving a tiny bit back on track would be fine, but it wasn't. Partially because the backside of my car was hidden like a chameleon.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Well, that was all an unexpected turn of events.

I only spent an hour or some preparing for this one, which if you know my style, is the same as saying I only got into the car during lap 2. I'm really not a fan of the Ginetta, the best that I can say for it is that it's better than the Junior version, but having watched the broadcast version of last weeks races, and I think @fab. ICEMAN s from the first event, I was pretty keen to take part. The racing seemed close, and after all - the reason I'd wanted to do this was the reverse grid, the chance to maybe defend against some of the more alien racers.

I was disappointed, but not surprised at coming 19th after initial qualifying. More frustrating was that I was 19th with the second best lap I'd been able to compared to my practice the night before, with a 1:37.4xx.

Race 1 therefore went rather better than expected, as I pushed through to get a 10th place, despite a spin on second corner. I have to admit that, despite the rather terrible force feedback experience on this car, the racing it produces is really enjoyable.

Race 2 however was a complete pendulum swing from start to finish, and not what I would have expected after qualifying. The apparently mandatory herd of lemmings of lap 1 eagerly drove at speed into obviously developing crashes, allowing me to jump from 17th to 9th(?) in the first two corners. Somehow by the end of the first lap I had made 5th. I wanted to enjoy my fun, but @Puffpirat appeared in the rear view mirrors. Now, the whole point of the reverse grid is to defend against faster cars who you have no right to be ahead of, right? So I tried my best to keep the gap, giving it "maximum attack", which I felt I achieved for a while (see below), then tried my best to be a wide boy. I have to say I was a little unlucky with a 3 wide pack ahead of me, and clearly Puffy's experience showed as he patiently picked the line that would result in him getting past before me. I followed him though, hoping to tail him for at least a few laps, but apparently there's a nitro option I didn't know about because he shot away.

Still the race was good and I continued on, slipping up slightly and falling back to 6th. Now...the lesson of the day is "never give up, never surrender". I proceeded to watch a coming together of @Jonno and @Stokemon at T2 (didn't see a wait for rejoin btw), gave it a wide berth, then another tap between Jonno and Puffy slowed Jonno and Zemke at T3 meant I whizzed passed both, somehow finding myself in 3rd.

The next alien to catch me was @fab. ICEMAN . I've watched to much of this mini series to not know how it was going to end. Again, I tried to tail fabby for as long as possible...it wasn't long ;). Back in 4th again, then a little inattention and I let both , my old team mate @Stokemon and @drukqs through. Back to 6th!

Then the parting of the red sea happened again. First Puffy and CatchAGlimpse have some incident up front and I eventually drive past the skeleton of his car., then Stokemon applied "Jedi Mind Tricks" to Drukqs, resulting in Drukqs circling off track in an "force-d" error. @CatchAGlimpse then catches grass with the rear wheel and smacks a wall - back to 3rd again!

Try as I might, I gain on @Stokemon , but never enough to catch him. A little loss of focus ruins any opportunity to catch him, despite his wheel apparently coming away from the desk in his hands! I finally cross the line in P3, for what was a truly gob-smacking result. Not one the bookie would have predicted.

As a final crazy world bonus, apparently I took fastest lap in the race too (lap 2)! Thanks to @fab. ICEMAN for pointing it out, I would never have thought to look! With quite a strong field I can only feel rather pleased with myself (and very surprised). I haven't been racing the car much, and only did a little practice the day before. Practice laps did not suggest I could get that pace. Watching it back, its a lovely smooth lap...it's also my best lap of the race by 2 seconds. Crazy. I really need to work on smoothness and consistency.

EDIT: Having watched a bit of @fab. ICEMAN 's screen, I distinctly hear @Puffpirat getting a 1:34.6 . I think he has disconnected by the time the race ends though, which is why he is not on the list to check fastest time. I'm going to declare myself fastest on a technicality

Here is my PoV, for anyone interested :)

Ginetta = Bad Car but fun races! wtf.

Last edited:

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
If it's all my fault then I'd be more inclined to take my loss and go by the rules, but when I just get wiped out due to (IMO) no fault of my own I just want to make up lost time. At the time I figured moving a tiny bit back on track would be fine, but it wasn't. Partially because the backside of my car was hidden like a chameleon.

I can't help but feel for @firefly on this one. If it wasn't for my preference for a late apex, I would have been more to the right side of the track and there would have been no contact between him and I at all. And speaking of contact and league rules, am I the only one wondering why the yellow/black car, from the initial contact, didn't stop and wait for Firefly after plowing into the back of him (see post #65 in this thread)? Maybe I don't know the full story, but it seems like someone else screwed up well before Firefly and I came together:
  • 1.1.3 - If you accidentally knock/push/shunt another car off the track, you must slow down and wait for them to rejoin the race and take back their position. Every driver is to be shown the same level of respect. This rule can only be overruled by the affected driver telling you over voice chat to keep going.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It probbly would of been a good race if my game didnt decide to make it feel like i was racing on cobbles i just couldnt race with that feeling i gave it my best go but had to retire hopefuly @Darksi has sorted it for me.. I can only apologize if i had any contact with anyone during my cobblestones race.. And @Stokemon once again bud Apoligys for the nudge as i said i only saw @Puffpirat behind me i saw him go for the inside and i tried to defend(as im entitled to) but unfortunatly you were right there in my blind spot we both managed to keep going tho lol so al in all my first race back in a few weeks might of turned out diffrent if ffb wasnt on constantly.

Ill pass thanks.. iv made some great friends on here............
(((and some harsh ENEMYS....))))

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
I can't help but feel for @firefly And speaking of contact and league rules, am I the only one wondering why the yellow/black car, from the initial contact, didn't stop and wait for Firefly after plowing into the back of him (see post #65 in this thread)? Maybe I don't know the full story, but it seems like someone else screwed up well before Firefly and I came together

It seems that from @firefly POV the first contact happened between him and me. However I have to say it again: he had terrible sync issues right before the incident. What happened from my point of view: his car started to warp on start-finish line then disappeared completely by the moment he exited turn 1. As you can see from replay other drivers didn't see him staying on the side of track and they just went through him.
So it appears that he can only blame sync issues from his own side. That's really unlucky.

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
make it feel like i was racing on cobbles

Like to know the solution with this as the only one I found was to shut the profiler down and just let the game control the FFB. Don't have any problems with it anymore except the annoying thing is the profiler restarts every time I start the game.

I would have the cobble rattle, but one of the other aweful happenings was the FFB would just turn itself off mid race and dull the turning sensitivity (aka 2 full turns = half turn in game).

watch the replay if u can
=
PC crashed not long after hence my untimely departure.

Last edited:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Like to know the solution with this as the only one I found was to shut the profiler down and just let the game control the FFB. Don't have any problems with it anymore except the annoying thing is the profiler restarts every time I start the game.

I would have the cobble rattle, but one of the other aweful happenings was the FFB would just turn itself off mid race and dull the turning sensitivity (aka 2 full turns = half turn in game).
We are talking about the Logitech profiler? Since the early days of PCARS 2 it was recommended to run without it, as it was found responsible for all kinds of wheel issues...

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
We are talking about the Logitech profiler?

Yep for me it's the logitech profiler (for now), but never found any solutions so worked out myself just shut it down = no more problems.

wabi

Community Member
Reaction score
During the Imola SuperTrofeo event I had opposite issue - in the middle of the race FFB dramatically increased steering sensitivity, so half wheel turn was as two turns in game. After removing of the profiler, no such issues anymore.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
We are talking about the Logitech profiler? Since the early days of PCARS 2 it was recommended to run without it, as it was found responsible for all kinds of wheel issues...
Logitech profiler is garbage, everytime Iv tried different profiles for different games, they don’t work, then it breaks completely.

Users who are viewing this thread