Fanatec Formula Rims (1 Viewer)

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Any one running a Fanatec CSW who owns both the BMW GT2 Rim and either the Formula Black or Formula Carbon Rim

I'm Considering picking up a Formula Black/Formula Carbon rim and would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has experience in using both.

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
I want one too.....

I think Falcon Has it, and he loves it. Keeps telling me to get one.

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah would be great to get some feedback from someone that has both the BMW and Formula Rim, I've been running with the BMW Rim for a year now and would be good to have something a bit more authentic for the open wheelers/later GT3 cars on how they see the differences between the two.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have both and must say that I'm not using the BMW a lot anymore. While it feels nice it's quite slow since it's big and it's hard to reach most of the buttons if you want to keep your hands on the wheel.

The formula rim is just more direct and quicker, and suits most of the modern cars. FFB wise you can compensate the size of the BMW rim with more force, that's not really a problem. I use it still for some of the older cars and especially for cars with H shifter where I'm driving mostly with one hand on the wheel.

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Damn you @Puffpirat, enabling me :)

upload_2016-12-6_17-44-17.png

Oh how about these, they look cool.

http://www.simracingmachines.com/WebShop/fanatec-replacement-gear-shifter-set

Last edited:

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
@Bassetts dont bother with the Carbon version of the rim it's heavier than the regular version. Kid you not lol. Plus it's cheaper and you can just wrap it in carbon vinyl yourself. As far as the rim goes I have both the BMW and the regular F1 rim. I personally love them both. I tend to use the F1 rim more as a lot of the newer cars have a wheel type of the same size. Older cars generally tend to use a circular wheel so I go with the BMW and increase the FFB. I plan to get a Universal Hub when I get back as I want to grab a couple of different sized rims. Or I could go custom and get something from Sam Maxwell or the famed Leopoldo Ramirez. Just look at those wheels! Droooool.:D

IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You got me with the BMW rim, drool. Went on a quick google search, sadly it works on every base except fanatecs :rolleyes: good thing because it's probably more expensive than the base :D

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been following Leopoldo Ramirez for a few months now, these are just works of art, plain and simple.

They definitely sit in the "if you need to ask how much it costs, then you can't afford it category" :)

For a VR guy the AMG GT3 V2.0 could be a good compromise.

7d4d8663a6928c4c5fa31ee1537aa26co.jpg

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Someone dared to ask, Leopoldo answered it'll be "in the low 2000s€" :cool:

But your thought about VR struck me too while looking at his rims. These days you really need to see your rig as a whole to know which direction to go with the components.

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you use VR I would honestly not even bother with those expensive rims lol. I personally have decided on still getting triples with the extra telemetry monitor. I just don't want to lose the telemetry monitor as I use it extensively already. Not to mention I can't deal with the fov of VR at the moment. I'll definitely take the plunge for V2. Hopefully by then someone will come up with a nice overlay program for telemetry.

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
I agree falcon, you can get a Fanatec Rim Standalone USB Conversion PCB from leo bodnar, which is probably one of the less expensive routes to go for a DD wheel. I keep my eye on the SimuCUBE project as these designs are definitely maturing and it's a DIY type exercise which I always like, also who knows perhaps Fanatec may do something in the DD space in the future.

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Leo Bodnar board is the way to go to convert the rim but it is expensive though. You can spend half that and go with the teensy board too. As for Fanatec they have already confirmed they are working on a DD wheel. Maybe in 1-2 years time we will see it. Hopefully its around the same price as the Accuforce. I still plan on getting the OSW Simcube. The new open FFB firmware will be released soon and that will kick things up a notch. Not to mention eventually it will have Simvibe support as Berney from Accuforce is helping them out with that.

Users who are viewing this thread