Endurance Championship - R5: Le Mans - 17th June 2018 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
I feel a bit bad now doing the extra lap, seeing how many cars ran out of fuel :oops: on the other hand it would have been close with BeetesJuice if I would have waited.

I calculated a 42 lap race (including formation lap) and was surprised to get so close to only making 41. Guess the pitstops took more time than expected.
I've lost a podium in the past because I didn't put in enough fuel, if you put in not enough fuel there is only yourself to blame. Not your fault Puffy. I alway calculate +1-2 laps of fuel just to be safe, never going to lose a podium again haha.

AndrexUK

Community Member
Reaction score
I feel a bit bad now doing the extra lap
Yeah, nearly lost the win for that :p
Had to splash and dash at the end, and put in enough fuel for 2 laps, as I was sure you would cross the line after the timer ran down, but you were too quick!!! (stop that!).
So had to splash and dash again for about 5Litres or so.
(Technically, I could have just driven on and got to the end of the finishing timer, but had about a 20 sec lead over P2 (even after 1st Splash and Dash...), so thought I'd play safe...
It's a thirsty beast the Aston, but she's a missile on the straights!
I tested the Nissan, and was almost identical lap times, but even though the Nissan is much easier (and nicer) to drive, LeMans is probably the only track where the Aston was a viable choice, and I love the thing, so had to take it!
I knew there would be a few Nissan's and AMG's, but was surprised about the pace of the Porsche! (I never even tried it tbh...)

The Aston had about an extra 5 kph on the straights, but the brakes were like they were made of cheese, and held together with prayers... The gain of the straight line speed was certainly countered by having to brake so early.

A little concerned as I was told I was extending going onto the main straight, so had to adjust my line a couple of times and play extra safe, so sorry about that :( I'd built the car to be understeery to be safe for the full 2.4, and it was clear that Noonotreally was faster in sector 1 and 3, but managed to keep the lead.
He was catching up in the night time, and we pitted together about 0.5 apart.
He jumped in the pits as he didn't take fresh tires, but I decided to play safe again.
Was very surprised how quickly I was able to catch and pass him after the pits though!

Then just able to fire in the decent lap times, as the AMG dropped back in an attempt to save fuel.
I had already decided just to go for it, and add fuel to get to the finish.
Then I had flashbacks of a previous RSR 2.4 Lemans, where I was beaten by the Porsche (then RUF) due to him (@Feanor again!!!) not having to splash and dash like I did last time...
At that point, I thought, sod it, P2 is fine with me!

Pitted with about 7 mins to go, and fueled for 2 laps, as I was sure Puffy was going to cross the line after the time limit - but no, he managed another lap...
As mentioned, I had enough of a lead to dive in at the end again to take enough to the end, but it was rather close...

Never expected to take the win, certainly as I thought the Aston was not a good idea, but I do like a challenge, and if you can't run the sexy beast here, then it's never going to get out the garage!

Grats to Puff!
And all the other podium guys! (And indeed everyone that finished!)

Roll on the next LeMans events!!!

AndrexUK

Community Member
Reaction score
Also unable to watch replay :(
Noticed it seamed to save it rather quickly at the time...
:(

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Mixed emotions for this race but overall I’m happy with how I drove.

With over 10+ hours of practice and setup work across two cars I was really hoping to do well this race. I switched to the Nissan from the Porsche (after already spending 5 hours setting it up perfectly) only a day before the race after I discovered my driving style was leading to 37% engine damage in just the first stint (meaning a 2:30min pitstop to repair), which just didn’t make it viable for me. I’ve always wanted to drive the Nissan as it’s probably my favourite IRL GT3 car but Le Mans seems to be one of the few tracks that somewhat suits it. I always like a challenge and to try a new GT3 each time we drive them so the Nissan it was!

This also allowed me to test out @Nighttiger ’s new setup guide from scratch and see how it works for me which I was planning to do the next event we did. I can truly say, if you’ve got plenty of time to really follow his steps and dial in a setup, his guide works to perfection. I managed to drop from 4:06s in my first laps with the car to a 3:59.700 best race lap and a 3:58.800 time trial time in one of the most comfortable and manageable race setups I’ve personally created and I think my Meaty Treat teammate and Nissan buddy for this race @Battenberg will attest to the result of @Nighttiger ’s guide. So thank you and I look forward to using it a lot more in the future!

I qualified P7 in class which wasn’t quite as high as I wanted due to the hotter qualifying conditions not being optimal for my race-setup car as well as not nailing a perfect lap.

This wasn’t the end of the world as my race strategy was to only put in 26L of fuel to start and pit twice (to get some clean track) for full fuel (plus tyres in the second stop). This meant I was much quicker than everyone around me at the start, which was fun to hang with the top guys but also negated the low fuel advantage a bit as I got held up by the traffic.

My early stop went perfectly and off I went with a clear track and plenty of confidence in my strategy and consistent, decent lap times. Unfortunately not too long after, @Ranjanado spun in front of me while I attempted to lap him and I collected 10% front aero damage from the contact results in a 3sec loss per lap. I powered on before eventually pitting for quick repairs which in hindsight I should have done immediately.

The rest of the race went as expected, with only one minor spin throughout the entire race. All LMP2 lapping happened without any problems and I slowly clawed back time and positions on the guys in front of me by about 0.5 to 3secs a lap. In the end I finished in P6, about 23secs behind @Battenberg with P4 to P8 all being in line on the track within a minute after 2.4hrs of racing. Who knows what could have been without the damage, maybe a P4 or higher but that’s racing.

In all, a great experience as always, lots of learning and lots of fun and satisfaction. Thanks again to the PRD guys for joining us!

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
This also allowed me to test out @Nighttiger ’s new setup guide from scratch and see how it works for me which I was planning to do the next event we did. I can truly say, if you’ve got plenty of time to really follow his steps and dial in a setup, his guide works to perfection. I managed to drop from 4:06s in my first laps with the car to a 3:59.700 best race lap and a 3:58.800 time trial time in one of the most comfortable and manageable race setups I’ve personally created and I think my Meaty Treat teammate and Nissan buddy for this race @Battenberg will attest to the result of @Nighttiger ’s guide. So thank you and I look forward to using it a lot more in the future!

Amazing to hear that my guide worked for you and gave you a comfortable and speedy setup @SillySausage! Thanks for the compliment, glad to know that it works :D

Reactions: Tom

BeetesJuice

Community Member
Reaction score
Meaning to write up a race report when I have some free time at work today.

Meantime, anyone grab a copy of the replay yesterday and could drive/dropbox it? Mine decided to crap out while saving the replay.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Meaning to write up a race report when I have some free time at work today.

Meantime, anyone grab a copy of the replay yesterday and could drive/dropbox it? Mine decided to crap out while saving the replay.
I think everybody's replay files did the same.

GosuNoob

Community Member
Reaction score
I think everybody's replay files did the same.
This is merely speculation but I think it's a combination of the people that left before the race ended, and the issue of so many people getting a DNF at the end of the race as time ran out.

GoDATP

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah the DNFs were a bit weird, I myself finished (cooldown lap) but some below me did and didn't? As in, P7 may have DNF'd, but P8 didn't? Was kinda strange. Surely that's the demo problem.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
Well if other drivers were a lap behind but were close behind the leader they were classified as finishers but below drivers they were behind. These drivers got a DNF because they didn't finish in time but are still classified above others drivers who did finished since they started a new lap already. The DNF looks ugly and it doesn't list your times but the ranking itself is not affected.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
There's a hard timer built in to 'Timed' (rather than 'by laps') races. It is pretty much sufficient for every combo except Le Mans and Nords/Nords-Combined. There has been some discussion regarding this over on the public forums. The problem, as I understand it, is that it is there to prevent "Joe Troll" from taking 2 hours to finish the final lap. Lapped races will let everybody finish on a laptime+20% basis IIRC.

EDIT : It may or may not get fixed at some point. I don't think the devs were aware of the annoyance it causes leagues until it got discussed on the forums lately. As with a lot of things, it's well-intentioned but led to a nasty side-effect.

GoDATP

Community Member
Reaction score
Oh I see, I know it doesn't make a difference with rating/timing, but I would bet that it could mess with the demo.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
One question to the VR drivers in GTE, how was it to see that speed difference between LMP2 and GTE on track (especially porsche curves)?

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
One question to the VR drivers in GTE, how was it to see that speed difference between LMP2 and GTE on track (especially porsche curves)?

Do you mean, in our mirrors? I depend more on the relative box & track map to gauge how far back the car is, and then finally mirrors when they're right with you for positioning. It's quite hard to spot them in the wing mirrors at a distance, the virtual centre mirror is most useful when they're closing in.

GosuNoob

Community Member
Reaction score
I want to congratulate @GoDATP on what must have been a perfect race.

The results were posted today, and by the timing, your performance is the definition of what to focus on for an endurance race.

What I mean by that, is that consistency wins out over raw pace sometimes.
Your best lap was a 3:35x... Which means that you were on average 3-4 seconds per lap slower than most of the other 14 Lmp2 drivers.

And yet... There you are sitting in P6 overall.

Well... F***ing... Done....

GoDATP

Community Member
Reaction score
I want to congratulate @GoDATP on what must have been a perfect race.

The results were posted today, and by the timing, your performance is the definition of what to focus on for an endurance race.

What I mean by that, is that consistency wins out over raw pace sometimes.
Your best lap was a 3:35x... Which means that you were on average 3-4 seconds per lap slower than most of the other 14 Lmp2 drivers.

And yet... There you are sitting in P6 overall.

Well... F***ing... Done....

I reaaaalllly struggled with tire temps and pressure throughout the whole race so I felt very uncomfortable but thank you lol I did my best :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread