Calling all VR players - Oculus DK2 for $200 worth it? (1 Viewer)

MECZero

Community Member
Reaction score
So I see there are people selling DK2 kits for the $200-250 range (Canadian). There's no way I'll be able to afford the CV Oculus at $800+ CAD, not for a long time yet. Wondering if this would be a good way to get my feet wet with racing in VR without breaking the bank?

Does it still work with PCars and do you guys think there will be drivers created to have it work with PCars 2 eventually?

Any other thoughts on the DK2 in general (if you have experience)? Is it relatively easy to setup and get working? I'm quite knowledgeable with PC's and PC hardware, so I don't mind doing a little extra work to get it working. ;)

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So I see there are people selling DK2 kits for the $200-250 range (Canadian). There's no way I'll be able to afford the CV Oculus at $800+ CAD, not for a long time yet. Wondering if this would be a good way to get my feet wet with racing in VR without breaking the bank?

Does it still work with PCars and do you guys think there will be drivers created to have it work with PCars 2 eventually?

Any other thoughts on the DK2 in general (if you have experience)? Is it relatively easy to setup and get working? I'm quite knowledgeable with PC's and PC hardware, so I don't mind doing a little extra work to get it working. ;)

I'm still racing with my DK2. It's now very easy to setup as it uses all the same software and drivers as the CV1 (the development drivers were much harder to use so don't worry about old forum posts etc.). As far as I know all games work in the DK2, if anything you'll have less performance issues as it's got a lot less pixels to render than the CV1.

The only real downside to the DK2 is it is quite low resolution, but this doesn't bother me, the immersion is so good. Would highly recommend getting one!

The only snag with VR is that I have lost all interest in racing on monitors!

MECZero

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm still racing with my DK2. It's now very easy to setup as it uses all the same software and drivers as the CV1 (the development drivers were much harder to use so don't worry about old forum posts etc.). As far as I know all games work in the DK2, if anything you'll have less performance issues as it's got a lot less pixels to render than the CV1.

The only real downside to the DK2 is it is quite low resolution, but this doesn't bother me, the immersion is so good. Would highly recommend getting one!

The only snag with VR is that I have lost all interest in racing on monitors!

Thanks for the feedback. :)

How bad is the resolution on the Dk2? I agree, VR is mainly about the immersion, but if it's so bad that the new graphics improvements coming in Project cars 2 can't really be seen or appreciated with the Dk2, then I might just wait and save up more for the CV1. I don't know, I'm torn. lol. $200 is pretty low cost to get into VR. Can always sell it later on... Decisions, decisions... :p

MECZero

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 2nd hand DK2 for $250 (CAD) and do not regret it one bit! Racing in VR is quite the experience. Even though the screen in the DK2 isn't that great, once you get used to it, it's good enough (especially for the low cost) and like @Laiders said; the immersion is solid. :)

Even more excited now for the crossover endurance event this Sunday. :D

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Again, I'm late to this thread but I've had my DK2 for a long while now (will be 3 years in September :eek:) and don't regret the purchase for a moment. I'd never go back to racing on monitors again.

Users who are viewing this thread