Buying my first car (1 Viewer)

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So ye I am looking to by my first car by july somewhere and well it isn't that easy as I thought it would have been.

So I was wondering if some of you guys have any tips about this and also when you are at it, I thought it could be cool to show what your first car or current car was!

Many thanks!

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Probably under 10k preferably around 6k.
And well everyday use to work (50km away) and back. And if possible for vacations.
And well I do like an Audi a3 hehe bit without saying any brand. I like something more smaller ( not a smart tho) with a bit of "power" max 120 hp because otherwise nobody wants to insure me for a "beginner driver"

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
Used one then. Just makes sure you don't buy from a dealer. Buy from a person. If you go to their house to see the car, you can evaluate a person quickly. How he takes care of other things is how he took care of the car.

I think you can get an A3 for the budget, probably around 10 years old. Shouldn't be a problem if it's well taken care of.

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Used one then. Just makes sure you don't buy from a dealer. Buy from a person. If you go to their house to see the car, you can evaluate a person quickly. How he takes care of other things is how he took care of the car.

I think you can get an A3 for the budget, probably around 10 years old. Shouldn't be a problem if it's well taken care of.
Thanks, a friend of me also quickly told me not to buy from a dealer because apparently they try to rip you off...

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
My first car was a maroon 1976 Vauxhall Viva Estate with a mighty (!!!) 1.3L engine (and when that blew its headgasket, the replacement engine was a 1.2L). It was a piece of crap but it was my first car so I will always love it for that!

Current car? Well, that would be the Jag F-Type.

As for buying from a dealer or buying privately, check what your rights are in your country. Here in the UK you have zero comeback if the car develops a fault even 5 yards down the road after buying it from a private buyer - the rule here is "caveat emptor" (buyer beware). A business, ie, a trader, is legally liable for the roadworthiness of the car, so you do at least have some reassurance. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If you buy privately then make sure you ring the doorbell and the person comes out of the house, don't go to some random location to buy it.

When it comes to the car itself, your best bet really is to take somebody that knows their way around cars. And insist on a test drive, either with you driving or the owner driving it.

There's probably a million things to watch out for but the other thing to go with is your gut. If it doesn't feel right, if anything raises your internal "alarm bells" then walk away. And remember, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
My first car was a maroon 1976 Vauxhall Viva Estate with a mighty (!!!) 1.3L engine (and when that blew its headgasket, the replacement engine was a 1.2L). It was a piece of crap but it was my first car so I will always love it for that!

As for buying from a dealer or buying privately, check what your rights are in your country. Here in the UK you have zero comeback if the car develops a fault even 5 yards down the road after buying it. A business, ie, a trader, is legally liable for the roadworthiness of the car, so you do at least have some reassurance. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If you buy privately then make sure you ring the doorbell and the person comes out of the house, don't go to some random location to buy it.

When it comes to the car itself, your best bet really is to take somebody that knows their way around cars. And insist on a test drive, either with you driving or the owner driving it.

There's probably a million things to watch out for but the other thing to go with is your gut. If it doesn't feel right, if anything raises your internal "alarm bells" then walk away. And remember, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
From a maroon to a jag, damn haha

Thanks for the advise!

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score

I do also like a VW Golf or something. very practical and very good german engineering :p
Post automatically merged:

As for buying from a dealer or buying privately, check what your rights are in your country. Here in the UK you have zero comeback if the car develops a fault even 5 yards down the road after buying it from a private buyer - the rule here is "caveat emptor" (buyer beware). A business, ie, a trader, is legally liable for the roadworthiness of the car, so you do at least have some reassurance. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If you buy privately then make sure you ring the doorbell and the person comes out of the house, don't go to some random location to buy it.

And what you say about still liking your first car is what want. I want a car that I will remember even if it is a rustbucket.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You'll always remember your first car, it doesn't matter what you buy. I could ask any of my friends and they'd all tell me what their first car was, instantly. There's just something special about that first set of wheels, no matter what state it's in. I bought my Viva before I even had my driving license! But it did its job, it served me well for a year and I learned how to replace an engine aged 17.

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Just looked up your first car @Cluck and you say it was bad, but man does it look nice. Just imagine upgrading the gearbox and engine and also brakes maybe to something more modern so it drives better. I would do it!

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
herpderpmobile.jpg

You think that looks quite nice? Erm. OK :D

(that's not the exact car I had but it's the same model and not far off the same colour)

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
View attachment 8753

You think that looks quite nice? Erm. OK :D

(that's not the exact car I had but it's the same model and not far off the same colour)
Haha well it isn't a jag, but I like older cars and seeing the potential they have and they are just so simple.

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
I do also like a VW Golf or something. very practical and very good german engineering :p

They share a lot of the parts (even the same chassis I think), since they are both from VW family.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Probably under 10k preferably around 6k.
And well everyday use to work (50km away) and back. And if possible for vacations.
And well I do like an Audi a3 hehe bit without saying any brand. I like something more smaller ( not a smart tho) with a bit of "power" max 120 hp because otherwise nobody wants to insure me for a "beginner driver"
You pay a lot extra for an A3 or Golf because of their popularity, for the Audi you also pay a lot extra for the Audi badge.
I always had company/lease cars, bought my 1st car in 2013 when I lost my job. Had to decide quickly and bought a Renault Megane GT Line from 2011, 130 bhp 1200 kg. It's an ok car but next time I'll go for something Japanese and hybrid.
Don't know how your German is, but I would check the ADAC car breakdown statistics LINK
How about a BMW 1 series?, very reliable according to ADAC.
Or smaller car, a sporty Suzuki Swift?
If you can read Dutch, I can send you some Dutch articles and statistics in a PM.

Last edited:

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
You pay a lot extra for an A3 or Golf because of their popularity, for the Audi you also pay a lot extra for the Audi badge.
I always had company/lease cars, bought my 1st car in 2013 when I lost my job. Had to decide quickly and bought a Renault Megane GT Line from 2011, 130 bhp 1200 kg. It's an ok car but next time I'll go for something Japanese and hybrid.
Don't know how your German is, but I would check the ADAC car breakdown statistics LINK
How about a BMW 1 series?, very reliable according to ADAC.
Or smaller car, a sporty Suzuki Swift?
If you can read Dutch, I can send you some Dutch articles and statistics in a PM.
Well I am from Belgium, so I can read Dutch ;)

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Go to a 2nd hand dealer & get it on finance. You'll likely get it with an added bonus, like 2 years free servicing & MOT's.
Got mine with free breakdown cover, lost keys cover & a guarantee if something was to go wrong within a year, they'd fix it free of charge.
Still drive my first car aha, Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI SRI

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
My first and only car (so far?). I miss it dearly, but it was also horrible. 2nd gen MINI One. So none of the issues the first gen had with the timing chain and transmission.

First summer the AC failed, and modern cars without AC suuuuck (especially with a moon roof*). The repair was batshit expensive because in order to change the compressor you have to basically disassemble the whole front - well played, BMW. Then I got sick/had my burnout and she stood around a lot, so I sold it off. Aside from that it was surprisingly reliable, but I took meticulous care...

It as really nice to cruise around in with the roof and windows open.

*I am way too tall to drive a MINI without one.

I'm out of the car business, but I wouldn't recommend a used Audi or VW at all. Gets expensive fast. Not that the MINI was smart... If it needs to be German engineering, get a Skoda or Seat, lol.

Attachments

• Mini_01.JPG
    Mini_01.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 300

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
My first and only car (so far?). I miss it dearly, but it was also horrible. 2nd gen MINI One. So none of the issues the first gen had with the timing chain and transmission.

First summer the AC failed, and modern cars without AC suuuuck (especially with a moon roof*). The repair was batshit expensive because in order to change the compressor you have to basically disassemble the whole front - well played, BMW. Then I got sick/had my burnout and she stood around a lot, so I sold it off. Aside from that it was surprisingly reliable, but I took meticulous care...

It as really nice to cruise around in with the roof and windows open.

*I am way too tall to drive a MINI without one.

I'm out of the car business, but I wouldn't recommend a used Audi or VW at all. Gets expensive fast. Not that the MINI was smart... If it needs to be German engineering, get a Skoda or Seat, lol.
I got a good file were all the car brands were listed on they reliability and it seems Asian cars are beter than most other.

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well mine was a 2009 95hp Opel Corsa ecoline. What I can say about it is that it drives very well, the ecoline is a bit lowered and the chassis is quite stiff for such a small car so it handles well even though I had a lift off oversteer over a crest on greasy road, so it was my fault (no damage fortunately). It had a huge turbo lag but when it kicks in, it kicks your butt with it. The best thing about that car I'd say is the mileage I was doing 4l/100km when caring and 4.5l/100km when not. I'm sure you can easily find some good sporty lines for 6k€. Reliability wise, my dad has had the same corsa for 11 years now and didn't have any issues other than normal wear. Mine well... I took it on holiday after 6 months and the turbo valve broke while I was in Austria. The dealer didn't want to pay for the new genuine opel part because the car was abroad and he wanted me to bring the car back on a truck so he could "repair" the broken part otherwise he was not legally obligated to do so. So yeah that dealer quality insurance is a bit crap tbh, it would have cost me more than the part and probably a problem that would have re occured due to the dodgy repair tbh. Thinking back at it, I should have walked away when buying the car, the previous owner didn't seem to have taken good care of it and most probably he had overreved it thus the turbo issue. As I said my dad maintained it well and he had no problem driving 35km back and forth everyday. All in all it's a great it drives well, it uses very little gas and it id imo a great first car that won't leave you broke at the end of the month

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
For all of you who were interested, here is an update on which car I bought.

IMG-20200731-WA0000.jpg

Audi A3.
Diesel.
70K km.
4 years old.

He is a bit newer and more expensive than what I first had in mind to buy. But since I have to do 100 km a day I didn't mind paying a bit more to be a bit comfy :p

Users who are viewing this thread