24 Hours of Le Mans - 10th June 2017 - Start: 13:00 GMT (1 Viewer)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I really can't blame you Manu, the whole race was an utter shambles on iRacing's part. From the mass disconnect in the top-split, that resulted in a driver revolt, to the regular disconnections in other splits, iRacing really needs to get its act together. Their netcode should be the most mature, the most stable, of anything out there and yet the crap we faced today was testing our patience to its limits. But for you guys, to have a blown engine out of nowhere, well, sure, that 'can' happen but there's a point at which simulation goes a little too far. With damage, fine, but with no damage, no, sorry, a game shouldn't blow your engine 20 hours into a 24-hour race. All that simulates is aggravation and will lead to people leaving and not going back.

I really do feel for you guys, you were having such an amazing race up to that point :(

Morvic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
No simulator will ever be as close to reality as reality (lol), but yes, I agree with Cluck, this is just bad for the engine to blow up for no reason.
I feel sorry for you team #64, you deserved much better this race.

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
Wow, It was really a messy one, but from the things that happen right in the early hours with the massive drop outs in split one, it was a matter of time to happen to all the splits during the 24hrs, plus that thing for the engine is really weird, I also saw one Spanish team suffering with the engine blown magically happen and with almost 4 hours left. But It sucks as you guys were leading, wondering what iRacing statement is going to say.....

@Cluck Well, beside all those shenanigans I hope you enjoy driving the Ferrari :D.
Capture.JPG

and thanks for the new rating (was expecting more an A license tho:p).

I was thinking to get back full time to iRacing but not sure now :shifty:.

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
Wow, It was really a messy one, but from the things that happen right in the early hours with the massive drop outs in split one, it was a matter of time to happen to all the splits during the 24hrs, plus that thing for the engine is really weird, I also saw one Spanish team suffering with the engine blown magically happen and with almost 4 hours left. But It sucks as you guys were leading, wondering what iRacing statement is going to say.....

@Cluck Well, beside all those shenanigans I hope you enjoy driving the Ferrari :D.
View attachment 1681
and thanks for the new rating (was expecting more an A license tho:p).

I was thinking to get back full time to iRacing but not sure now :shifty:.
You will be fine racing in normal week to week races, it just seems to be the big events that iRacing need to sort themselves out for.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Damage bug, doesnt matter if the event is 24H long or 24min...

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
Well done all the competed. Always a great achievement to do a 24 hour race.

My feeling go out to Car 64, you guys drove an amazing race, you are the real winners of split 3 in my eyes. iRacing needs to really have a deep look at what it's doing. They must be seriously embarrassed after the issues of the 24h Of Le Mans and I'm going to seriously think twice about renewing my membership at the end of its current term. I'll be trying to find the appropriate thread on their forum to tell them this also.

Again, a great achievement!

F1-Masa

Community Member
Reaction score
this event will be re run somepoint this summer or autumn.

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
You will be fine racing in normal week to week races, it just seems to be the big events that iRacing need to sort themselves out for.

Well, I meant more in the way that I did not like how they handle the situation and what they said at first, saying they knew about the issues but it was like a 50-50 situation were something or nothing can happen, so they decided to run it.
I believe the best option was to try to "fix" that problem and delay the event, with more reason because they release few days before the new GTE's.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
Damage bug, doesnt matter if the event is 24H long or 24min...

Yeay because that is exactly the way CRP reacts to damage ... it bends ... :facepalm:

Yorkie_065

Community Member
Reaction score
After having caught up with some more sleep, had some proper food and a good amount of time to reflect, I can say that race was testing! Testing of patience with the bugs and disconnects, and certainly for me a massive test of concentration with only 3 drivers. I'm not going to add any more negativity to the thread with the race we had and the unfortunate events during, as I tried looking at our race from a different angle and found a huge amount of positives and encouragement.

What car 64 drove was nothing short of faultless! Personally, I don't think I've had a better opening stint to go from 12th to 3rd, and then by the end of the triple stint to be in 2nd with just a couple of seconds to the leader to give Manu the chance to take the lead. The lead came through the mistake of AOR Red but from then on, what we as a team in car 64 drove, was calm, measured and a show of what we can really do and the experience we've gained. I can't pin point a single mistake, a spin, a crash with anyone for the next....god knows how many hours, where we steadily extended the lead to over a lap.

What we've learnt from previous races was injected into those 24 hours. Patience, consistency, traffic management with waiting one more corner to pass, take no risks as what may have been a potential short term loss of a couple of seconds, equals a big long term gain. The preparation was good, we knew what the car could do strategy wise, and had a setup that was comfortable for good consistent race long race pace. Everything positive went our way because we made and encouraged it throughout various actions and decisions throughout the week and the 24hours, which I feel came from previous endurance races.

Gutting it ended the way it did but...well...yeah..

Great job from the other two cars. Everyone had their hardships but it was fantastic to see spirits were still high at the end and you soldier on through thick and thin. You do RSR proud!

#fuelmix1

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So how long does it take to be eligible for those events?

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
Ok, so to be elegible for an endurance event, you need to have a D license 4.00 or above. So in short, get your C license and you are good to go.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Or go straight in with a B-class license :D

#rookiechickenFTW

To highlight one of Yorkie's points, my only actual crash - involving real contact - was as a result of impatience on the part of one of the HPDs in our split. He had lost patience following me through the twisty section before Mulsanne and lost a bit of time, I think, getting a cut-track penalty. That lack of patience, combined with not taking into account the massive tow he got, led to him dive-bombing 2 other cars (myself and the leading HPD of the pack of 4 cars that we were, myself the sole GTE). The HPD driver that was in front had to take avoiding action, causing him to lose control and spin directly in front of me. With 'low friction pads', there was no way of stopping in time. Had that HPD driver shown one more second of patience, nothing would have happened.

The stupid thing is, I don't recall any of them actually being in a fight for position (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

One second of impatience caused 4 cars to collide with each other.

I still can't get over how unlucky I was in my sessions. For the first session it was a combination of bad traffic and inexperience. The spins I had were entirely of my own doing - one caused by the sudden appearance of an HPD, going into Indianapolis - how I missed that wall on the left, I don't know :eek:. The pit-stop problem was entirely my own fault and entirely down to inexperience. I was backed right off, but the timer was still appearing to go up :(.

The bugs though, the bugs were crippling. When you've woken at 4.45am, joined your team to help spot and then taken the reins at 6am, the last thing you need is the game crashing after precisely 2 seconds of actual driving. The only reason my Rift is still working is because I was too tired to care about throwing it :D.

I'm still utterly exhausted though, despite going to bed at 8pm and in the land of nod very shortly afterwards. I'm going to get a job out of the way this morning and then I'm going home - I can't imagine customers will be impressed if I visit to look at their computer and promptly fall asleep :D

EDIT : And can somebody remind me, now that I'm slightly (only slightly, mind) more awake. What split was our team (car #66) in again?

Last edited:

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well done to all drivers in this event, from reading the reviews ( i missed the race due to a cycling event i was taking part in) it seems there was a lot of issues for people. But all in all well done.

stolnikas

Community Member
Reaction score
What a race! 11 hours of pure driving, 165 laps of Le Mans done :)
Started 22nd in class and everything went very well, i was gaining positions and at the end of my 2 hour stint we were in 13th place.
@Alex du Plessis took over and had some serious crashes, but we repaired and continued. I believe we were 19th at that point. Then @Imthecrabby drove his clean stint of 2 hours. Unfortunately he couldn't help us for the rest of the race (no bad feelings mate!).
During the night me and @Alex du Plessis did 3 hour stints so that we could have some sleep. I did, but i'm not sure about Alex. He was always saying he will be around :) That was exhausting.. At several moments i was catching myself nearly sleeping :D
In the morning @Corbs came and helped us for 2 hours. Thanks a lot! :)
Drove my last stint of 1 hour to the finish like crazy. Nothing was to be lost or gained. But it was a pleasure :)

Finished in 15th!

Only two contacts that i had whole race was of HPD drivers: one spun on first chicane and then drove straight in to me (front-to-front, 2min optional repair, he had 1200 iRating) and the other spun at Porsche curves in front of me, leading me to slight contact to the wall (6min optional repair).
Ah, yes, one HPD also missed his braking point at Mulsanne taking me and other GTE out. I was very lucky cause that only resulted in 15secs of optionals.

Disconnects... I myself experienced 4 disconnects while driving. Well that didn't do much impact on the result, but still it was annoying...

I'm very thankful for everyone involved, for all the support. If not of RSR we might even gave up at some point. But we did it!

Alex du Plessis

Community Member
Reaction score
Yes, what a race with all the problems we experienced with iRacing. As Stoliknas said previously we did persevere through all of the havoc. Doing those 3 hour stints was for me very hard, the first was easy enough but going into the second was tough very tough. Mentally I was fine and no sleep was not a problem during the race. My body took a HELL NO approach to my mind and did some things to me that really made me feel old. Cramps, feet pains, pins and needles and lame muscles to mention a few. Overall it was a night to remember and another endurance event that taught me a lot. With the car having been launched only last week Tuesday meant I would have had little time to prepare. The time I need to prepare for these events is much longer than most and even with the time we had I feel I did not do enough. I should have concentrated on consistency instead of speed which I was not getting in any case. I apologize to my team for all the mishaps I had and congrats go to Stolnikas for putting such a stirling performance.

It is such a shame that car #64 got what it did as I know had that not happened you would have won. Congrats go to car #66 as well you had Cluck as the only newcomer to endurance racing and from what I have read so far you (@Cluck) did a stellar job.

Users who are viewing this thread